Colorado Christmas Ski Trip

6,038 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FC12
aggiec05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I have talked about taking our family for a "white christmas" ski trip for a few years. All our other trips this year were cancelled so we are looking to make the most of Christmas and go on a family ski trip. We are not flying and are looking to do a 1 day drive from DFW. I have so many questions I am hoping JustPanda and other ski families can help me answer.

Family info: My kids are 6 & 9 and have never been skiing. My wife has been skiing once. I have been 10+ times but it has been almost 15years since the last time I typically love blues and blacks, but I am not 21 anymore....

Budget: Trying to keep the cost ~$5K or under (not including gas, and ski clothes)

Travel dates: December 21-26, can move those but I figured that gives us 4 days of skiing and no weekend crowds, along with celebrating Christmas in Colorado.

1. Location ideas (less than 13 hours from DFW ideally)?
- With mostly being beginners our friends have recommended Keystone, but open to the best experience within budget. Everyone will ski, likely my wife may bail early in the days to rest. Ideally a condo and close to the mountain so we can come back for lunch and dinner (Paleo diet so harder to eat out)

- lodging for the location.

2. Ski School?
- How many days should I plan on my kids being in? My wife has asked for at least 1 day, and I figured I would do at least a day or half a day as well.

3. Hearing lots of reservation style systems if we buy the 4 day Keystone CB pack can we do early reservations? If not I am worried about being able to ski the days we want.

What am I missing? Outside of the pain of buying everyone ski clothes.....
The Lost
You're on the right track, they're limiting ski school size classes, so I'd call and see when they let you sign up/ask them about passes. Since its a weird year, I'd want to hear everything out of Vails mouth, not an internet board on how ticketing will work. I would also make sure you're housing is refundable.

Colorado's numbers have been climbing and Denver has gotten overly strict on crowd sizes/masks. No one can truly predict what December will bring at this point, so make sure you understand refund policies. Since they have obviously shown they arent afraid to shut down the resorts make sure you're prepared for the worst. Obviously I hope it doesnt come to that, but nothing is predictable in 2020.
Fairview
AG
That will be a pretty busy week. Not as busy as the next week but it will be crowded.

Skiing is expensive any way you slice it. Like you said make sure you can get reservations. Staying by the mountain is more convenient but the closer you get the more pricey it will be.

As for clothes there are places that rent them or if you don't care about brand or quality the Walmart's around the area sell clothes. You can also save one equipment rental by renting in Denver but you would have to have space for all that gear.

aggiec05
AG
The Lost said:

You're on the right track, they're limiting ski school size classes, so I'd call and see when they let you sign up/ask them about passes. Since its a weird year, I'd want to hear everything out of Vails mouth, not an internet board on how ticketing will work. I would also make sure you're housing is refundable.

Colorado's numbers have been climbing and Denver has gotten overly strict on crowd sizes/masks. No one can truly predict what December will bring at this point, so make sure you understand refund policies. Since they have obviously shown they arent afraid to shut down the resorts make sure you're prepared for the worst. Obviously I hope it doesnt come to that, but nothing is predictable in 2020.

Definitely a concern. Refund policies are top of the list.
aggiec05
AG
I prefer to rent at least closer to where we are skiing as I have had issues before with a good fit and want to option to change out if necessary. I assumed it was going to be busier for the same reasons we are looking to travel there.
aglaohfour
AG
I don't think you could drive there in 13 hours, but the ski school at Beaver Creek was recommended to me on this board and it really is worth every penny, in my opinion. My 6 year old wasn't strictly a beginner, but was definitely rusty and she did three full days of the small group lesson (4 kids) and I was blown away at how proficient she was by the end of the first day. I didn't take lessons because I was still recovering (more emotionally than anything lol) from a ski injury, but next time we go I will definitely be taking lessons myself. It was just such a lovely experience from start to finish.
2wealfth Man
AG
Be prepared for some crazy pricing as you are looking at going during THE premium week of the year.
JustPanda
AG
1) I'd avoid Keystone and the remainder of the front
range mountains due to the reservation system/social distancing requirements given their proximity to Denver. They will be the first to book up and book out.

2nd) BC and Crested Butte are 13 hours on the money from DFW. Monarch is 11 1/2 and Wolf Creek is 11.

3) How close do you want to be to the hill? You could look at a ton of options if you're driving: Monarch (cheaper mountain with a great location), Ski Cooper, Loveland, Wolf Creek, etc would be my first choice.

4) How old are the kids? Heights/weights/sizes? The vail ski swap is going on now and I'm happy to go pick stuff for you and keep it in storage until you get here. If not you can rent gear OR visit local resale shops and grab gear - they typically have the best prices on gently used equipment.

5) WEAR A HELMET AND MAKE SURE IT FITS - I don't want to meet you on the mountain scraping you off a ponderosa.

If you stay somewhere close to a charter sports or pass a charter sports, I can get you gear for next to free.

6) If you choose to drive make sure your vehicle is 4 wheel drive, snow tires, or snow mitigation device like snow socks. If not, rent a car with one of those because if you get caught without them, it's almost $1,000 fine.

7) If you pick a Vail Resorts mountain, let me know and you can have my Buddy and Ski w/a Friend Passes. They help cut the cost of a daily list ticket by up to 40%. I have 10 Buddy and 6 SWAF. I can also find you as many as you might need just give me some heads up. Given you're going at the peak holiday travel time, each buddy pass will knock the day rate from $219+ to $139. For kids it puts them just under $100. If you add up that savings, it's almost 1/5 of your total budget. That can be a financial life saver.

As of right now, your best bet is to take the total number of ski days - subtract the daily # of ski school days - 1 = # Days to buy for the day pass. DO THIS FOR EACH SKIER. WHY? Access to the early season reservation system and in your case 20% off ski school for every pass holder. Day passes count as "pass holders". That's $127/ski day for the adults and $65 for the kids, and group ski school roughly a $50+/person/lesson discount. Note: BUY THE LIFT TICKET FOR EACH LEASON DAY AS AN ATTACHMENT TO THE LESSON. It gets you your lift ticket for less than the advanced rate.

8) If you ski and stay around Loveland you can also ski Copper Keystone or Breck. Puts you close to the frisco adventure park, gives you some options if one mountain is fully reserved, also puts you at a 1,000ft+ vertical elevation higher than most other hills, and offers you a variety of ski school options.

The net elevation can be crucial "early season" as you want to slide a resort with as natural a base as possible.

9) If you stay in BC, I'd suggest the Westin Riverfront or a VRBO/AirBnB in Avon/Eagle/Vail or my hotel The Westin has a gondola up to the hill, it doesn't have the National Forest tax, you pay Avon vs BC prices, and they have a complimentary shuttle to BC and Vail.

10) I also manage a hotel/condo group on the BC ski hill. I'm happy to see what I can do to try and help. At the moment, I have a great unit on the ski hill w a Mountain View. It's a second story, 2/2 w a king, two twins, and queen sleeper sofa. It also includes on mountain parking for one vehicle. Given the dates, it's a total steal at $3,174 ($634 nightly including fees) total but I can drop that price down to $2727.44 ($545/night). I doubt you'll find much anywhere for that price given the location directly on the Elkhorn lift and the parking and the unit space.

If you do decide on BC or Vail, let me know and I can get you your gear and clothes almost totally comped. I can also see what my other half can do regarding ski school prices as she is one of the CSS (children's ski school) supervisors.
JustPanda
AG
For ski school I would recommend a full day and AT LEAST the next half day. Personally, I'd do two. You can even book a family group lesson assuming everyone is near a similar point or like yourself is still a beginner with others just starting. Plus, it's a hoot to watch the
kids. It makes the trip worth it right there.

I'm not and partially because Kate doesn't like them, a huge fan of 1/2 day lessons. For what you get, the full day is exponentially better for your skill set and knowledge base.

Beaver Creek and Vail both provide a ski or "free" lesson guarantee. I think it's after 2 or 3 days of full day lessons, they guarantee you to have the capability to free ski a mid mountain green from start to base. That's rare in the industry. Which speaks of the quality. The prices aren't the cheapest but the confidence to put a guarantee on people's ability speaks volumes for the quality. Usually, they get clients to that level start of day 2.

Also, it's a great time to look explore some other outdoor options that can be a real treat: snowmobiling, the ice castles in summit county, vail or frisco adventure park, glenwood spring for all of it.

I also know several nannies and babysitters that would probs be happy to watch the kids if you two are looking for a nice night out. You can't beat Zachs Cabin in Bach Gulch for on mountain ambiance. I really hope it opens this winter.
Prosper92Ag
AG
JustPanda - I may reach out to you next week. My family is coming out there for Christmas and a few days after. We stay with my sis-in-law but my buddy and his family will be looking forward a place to rent. Just need to get his final dates confirmed.
JustPanda
AG
Send it - where in The Valley will you be staying? I'm stoked about this season. Net bookings in The Valley are at 2008/2009 levels. If you're wanting the Vail/BC/Aspen experience for the price of Granby then you picked the right year.

If you need anything, lmk. It's far cheaper when you know locals. It's really insane the difference in cost and overall treatment.

I'm still shocked that we have on mountain properties for less than $300/bedroom/night. Normally, we'd be fully booked months ago at 2-3x the current prices.
Prosper92Ag
AG
We're staying with my sis-in-law in West Vail, so we're OK with my buddy staying in Vail or BC. I'll touch base again once I know his dates. My sis-in-law works at Four Seasons so usually no good deals there. Any help is appreciated, and would love to know some other Ags in the area!!
JustPanda
AG
I live in West Vail, too. It's such a great spot. We will have to grab a happy hour one day.
aggiec05
AG
Can you shoot me your contact information to Kyle.southerland@gmail.com?

I would love to chat more and would totally be in on the hookup.
Prosper92Ag
AG
aggiec05 said:

Can you shoot me your contact information to Kyle.southerland@gmail.com?

I would love to chat more and would totally be in on the hookup.

Same here, and I'll forward your info to my buddy. He's an Ag just not on TexAgs. An Aggie Happy Hour while we're there would be great!! Maybe a bowl game?!?!
JustPanda
AG
#Facts maybe some NFL too out on Garfs patio overlooking gondola 19 and chair 8.
JustPanda
AG
Whats your email my guy?
Prosper92Ag
AG
JustPanda
AG
Got it / you can delete
aggiec05
AG
Really interested in the 2/2 at BC and to talk about the options up there for ski school and the like. I have never been to BC. I have only skied at Winterpark, CB, Angel Fire and Wolf Creek.
cadetjay02
AG
We did this last year for the 1st time and had a great time in Crested Butte. Other random things to be aware of-

You can drive up there in a day, but know that weather can cause problems. We got shut down in Raton for about 3 hours when they shut down I25.

I70 going west out of Denver is sporty in the summer, winter an entirely different beast.

Make sure you put the -20 wiper fluid in before you head up, that was a mistake I hope to never have to deal with again.

Beware of altitude sickness. Stay hydrated on the way up and it could be tough on someone in you crew going from 700' in DFW to 9000' in Breck or someplace similar in the course of the day.

My now 13 & 11 years olds did a full day of ski school, it wasn't very good and they didn't get much out of it.

We did 3 days lat year and that was about right for their first experience. This year I got the epic pass and we're doing 4-5 days at Crested Butte during Christmas and will try a few days at another Vail Resort for spring break.

It's a great time, but it sure ain't cheap.
aggiec05
AG
Answering your questions:

3. Ideally closer to the hill, but within reason of budget. I get my budget doesn't align with a lot of ski in/out.

4. Son 9, 57" - 75#; Daughter - 6, 49"

5. We are planning on purchasing new helmets for sure.

6. Driving my truck with 4x4 and snow rated duratracs.

Let me know how I can ahold of you to work out BC rental and lift tickets. Hoping to book before it gets totally sold out.
aggiejet
AG
Please send me an email to username at yahoo dot com. Our Christmas trip just got all jacked up due to our son's high school basketball schedule, so we may be looking to move it to the week before and would most likely be flying into Denver and would like to see if you have anything that might work for us. Thanks.
JustPanda
AG
Got you my guy
JustPanda
AG
If you want.... I can put a hold on any room which makes them drop out of the rental pool. It's not against the rules but its bending them like an old Torbush D. I really don't mind it though if it gives you some mental sanity.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow while the snow's still on the ground to give you a glimpse of winter off the back patio.

I forgot to add we have a heated pool and 2 hot tubs that you can still reserve on your phone once checked in.
JustPanda
AG
Ok - one piece of advice - I'd give this to anyone....you don't feel ice typically until you begin to brake. Nothing unsafe about slow rolling in the right lane. If it keeps you out of the ditch or from spinning, it's a win. I can't tell you how many people fly down the declines not realizing that fact and they hard spin the first time they double tap the pull the wheel. I alawqyd tell people to drive their car like Santa's sleigh. Point the wheels where you're aiming to go, but never pull or push past a gentle slide or else you're going to lose it. Steady hand and patience pay dividends.

Next - bring a blanket for each person, a bottle of wine/beers, and a gallon of water and some snacks. Nothing in life is worse than getting stuck in traffic without them. Cars don't stay warm long and often times you can't keep your car in or you'll burn out on gas.

Ive had three date overnights on 70/9/6/24 since 2016. That's why you download some movies on the iPad. You get stuck, you give the kids your phone(s) and you take the iPad and have a movie date night sitting cozy under your blanket e a couple glasses of wine. Don't drink and drive but it's ok to drink if you're stuck.

Next - check roads conditions on CO Trip and decide between 70 or 285/9 or 9 out of canon city. If it's snowing, 70 is the only way I'd ride it. If it's clear and hasn't snowed for a couple days, you have the other options.
Bones97
AG
Panda,
Looking to come out to Avon/Vail for the week of Thanksgiving. Would like to connect to discuss options for a place, ski equipment, lessons for 2 teenage boys, we need it all, plus snow!
OasisMan
AG
JustPanda said:

1) I'd avoid Keystone and the remainder of the front
range mountains due to the reservation system/social distancing requirements given their proximity to Denver. They will be the first to book up and book out.
i was looking at Keystone for Spring Break (me+wife/2kids) -- you think the reservation system will still make it hard for me to get in at that time?

did vail last year
Agilaw
AG
JustPanda: I'm taking my family (two current Aggies) and some of their Aggie college friends to Breck the week after Christmas. They are all totally pumped about the trip. I'm really looking forward to it to since I grew up skiing Vail/Breck. Went with the family two years ago and my twice-repaired ACL didn't miss a beat. We already have our Epic passes and condo. Any help you could give on how to get the best deal on ski equipment (boots, skis/boards, poles, helmets) in Breck as the college Ags are on a college budget. We want to get them in Breck as the cars will be full. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Now bring on the snow.
JustPanda
AG
I don't think so but I don't gamble...but if it did, I'd be buying the 1/2/3 day pass and use it for the reservation system. Keystone/Breck get slammed with front range.

I wouldn't let it deter me from making a hotel reservation. Keystone and Breck have their own pass that's a great deal. Let me look into things more.
JustPanda
AG
Let me talk to some SumCo buddies and see what they can do.

Push comes to shove, you rent in vail and drive back to Breck (it's only 40 minutes)
Agilaw
AG
Got it. Will wait to hear back from you.
JustPanda
AG
If anyone had questions on what's the best pass/day pass/buddy pass combo, feel free to ask away. I was the manager for Vail Village and Lionshead PSS (Product Sales and Service) for 2+ years and have a solid relationship with that group.
JustPanda
AG
The Keystone 4 pack is a great deal for those planning on sliding only keystone. The Summit county pass isn't bad either.

When you break down the cost, they pay for themselves after the second day at the full walk up window price.
Bones97
AG
Panda,
Need advice/contacts on week of Thanksgiving for place to stay, passes, lessons in Avon/Vail. I know it's a gamble on snow, just looking for a good mountain getaway and hoping to at least get the boys to learn even if it's on man
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.