Intro to RVs

8,263 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TommyGun
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes 5.0.
irish pete ag06
AG
Still gonna upgrade to a 3/4 ton before ever trying to make a long trip especially to the mountains. Planning on doing that in a couple of years.
knoxtom
SuzyQ06 said:

So, tell me about your RV. Why do you love it? Why do you hate it? What's the upkeep like? What are the PITA things about RV'ing? Do you rent yours out on Outdoorsy? Pros/cons? Would you buy one again?

Also, pics please. Let me live vicariously through you.

We live in Colorado and bought a Winnebago Minnie Winnie 18 foot bunkhouse travel trailer. We got a few extras for around here such as dual 3500 pound axles, full all season insulation including tanks, double deep cell batteries, double propane tanks and a new memory foam mattress to replace the crap it came with. It has bunks and sits a couple inches higher than most with the off road pack.

So what do I love?

Well provided you plan well, it is really cool for long distance travel. We went to TN for a week and although it sucks to tow that far, it is so cool to be in a campsite instead of a hotel. I can set it all up in about 10 minutes while the wife makes dinner for everyone and it is just great being able to move your feet a little. Only trouble is you have to reserve the site and plan well.

I also love the ability of this particular unit to go off road a bit and boondock. I bought a generator so we can camp pretty much anywhere, so long as we can dump the poop and get some more water. We run out of water before anything else so I got a couple 7 gallon cans and tote them along.

What do I hate?

We bought brand new and everything is so cheap and a lot of stuff breaks. I have replaced about 30 screws with longer ones as they use the tiniest things they can. The Fridge didn't work once for a day or two, the brakes went bad, some trim pieces came off, just a bunch of crappy stuff. Funny thing is, once you fix it once, it doesn't seem to break again.

Second thing I hate is that it is too small for us. We have 2 kids with the two of us and everyone fits, but it is tight. I usually set up a huge tent as well to serve as the garage just to give more room.

You need a towing capacity that is double the weight of the rv. We started with a 4runner and it couldn't handle the 3500 pound weight. The land rover tows it fine and the half ton truck is perfect.

Upkeep -

not a big deal, we set it up and leave everything in it all the time, park it in a storage lot about 3-4 miles away, it isn't tough.

Rent it out? No way. it would be destroyed so fast and I don't want someone else's nastiness in my rv.

Would I buy again? Yep. It is really easy to see why people love the rv lifestyle. We are selling ours once the brakes are fixed and I am buying a 32-35 foot super c with a 10-15k towing capacity. I think the mistake we made for our situation was we went too small and ours is not driveable. I thought we would want to set up and disconnect so we had a way to get around, but after doing so, I think I want to have a drivable castle and tow a jeep or rent a car when we get where we are going. I am looking at a Nexus Rebel or a Dynamax ISata 5. Both have 4wd and are bad a$$. 800 lbft of torque, allison transmissions, etc. I ain't farting around anymore.

YouBet
AG
Something I'll never own, but I like the idea of it!
Caladan
irish pete ag06 said:

Well... I took the time to dial in the proper height of the hitch and you guys were right... the porpoising was muted to a much much smaller level.

Thinking back on it... I had thought the previous owner had a similar truck to me but now I remember it was 4x4, so the hitch was definitely too low and I was pulling the trailer slightly nose down.

Much more level now.

Excellent!!!
Tree Hugger
AG
TommyGun said:

Here's some pics of ours:

2017 Keystone Passport 239ML

In the process of a remodel. Painting cabinets and adding stick-on backsplash. Also added faux shiplap and trimmed out the windows. Don't have too many pictures of the reno as we're about 80% complete.

My son's favorite spot:

I'm currently full timing in a 2021 Alta East to West that is an identical floor plan to yours, just different finishes.
TommyGun
AG
Very nice! It was our favorite plan as an overall compromise of weight, functionality, and sleeping capacity. We wanted something that could easily be 1/2 ton towable and still be comfortable with two young kids.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.