10 yr anniversary coming up (trip help)

2,168 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JMac03
chn4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our 10 year is coming up in December and thought we'd go back to Cabo (honeymoon) but am looking for other recommendations that are quick flight (3-4 hours) out of DFW. Quick trip cause we have a bunch of kids...3-4 days

Where is ok and not ok to go right now? We like all inclusive but also don't want to go somewhere where everything is shut down.

Everyone talks about the sandals resorts, but are they worth it? Sorry for my ignorance.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
JMac03
AG
Mexico is super easy to travel to right now as they do not require COVID tests. Jamaica and Dominican Republic require them, you bring them with you. Kind of long flights for 3-4 days IMO.

Cabo - Le Blanc is absolutely amazing. Beautiful resort, excellent food and service.

Puerto Vallarta - Hyatt Ziva, Secrets. I'm going to Hard Rock next month.

Cancun/Riviera Maya - Le Blanc, Unico, Secrets Maroma

JMac03
AG
Forgot to touch on Sandals. Sandals are great options. Right now some are still closed. Sandals Montego Bay is right next to the airport (literally - you hear the airplanes) - but it has been recently updated and looks great. I probably would steer clear of ones that are further away so you aren't spending 1-2 hours in the vehicle.

Sandals in Nassau is beautiful but I felt the service was subpar. Some Texagers just got back in August from Sandals Antigua and said it was amazing (but a long flight for 3-4 days).
Hincemm
AG
Secret maroma or excellence Playa Mujeres will not disappoint
chn4
Thank you! What about St Lucia, Bahamas, Barbados, Or Punta Cana? Better than Cabo?
4xAgs
AG
Jumping outside the box here but Banff Canada around Christmas is an amazing place. Took my wife there and loved it. Coldest I have ever been but worth it. Stay at Banff Springs hotel then go have lunch at the Chateau Lake Louise. Lights, snow, decorations, Irish coffee....you'll thank me later.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
4xAgs said:

Jumping outside the box here but Banff Canada around Christmas is an amazing place. Took my wife there and loved it. Coldest I have ever been but worth it. Stay at Banff Springs hotel then go have lunch at the Chateau Lake Louise. Lights, snow, decorations, Irish coffee....you'll thank me later.

Canada opened back up for US tourists?
TXTransplant
Marauder Blue 6 said:

4xAgs said:

Canada opened back up for US tourists?

Nope. The closure has been extended to Nov 21. I just had to cancel our reservation at the Fairmont Banff Springs for late December-New Years because they want non-refundable payment in full 60 days out. That's a big NO when I can't get into the country.
Matsui
AG
Canada isn't open.
JMac03
AG
Food isn't amazing in Dominican but beaches are nice.

Barbados Sandals is pretty close to airport. St. Lucia Sandals are 1.5 hrs from airport. Bahamas I feel like their service is very mediocre across the board.
4xAgs
AG
Guess that's a valid point of consideration.

I was just thinking about great getaways.....forgot to consider the plandemic bs.

Headed to Cabo in January covid be damned!!
10andBOUNCE
AG
Costa Rica
breezecustomtravel
AG
Mexico is looking to be a great option for travelers this year - mostly open with no COVID test required. I just returned from UNICO 2087 Resort and everything about traveling to Cancun was great.

For a short trip and for all-inclusive I don't think you can go wrong right now with Cancun/Riviera Maya, Cabo or Puerto Vallarta.

I think already mentioned, but UNICO is great, Secrets Maroma or Secrets Akumal, Excellence Playa Mujeres or Atelier are all great options.
We really enjoyed UNICO - food was great, room was so nice, service was a little slow but after talking with our host we were informed that they are highly understaffed right now due to COVID protocols. Basically, if a staff member is sick and needs to be out they have other staff waiting in the wings to come in and work.

I'm hearing some amazing things about Atelier in Playa Mujeres....cannot wait to visit there.

Cabo is very popular right now too - I have clients that just returned from Secrets Puerto Los Cabos and said all was good there. I also have clients going to Le Blanc next month and I'm excited for them to see this resort - it's amazing, one of the best if not the best in Cabo. There is a Le Blanc in Cancun but I like the Cabo one better.

All in all, Mexico seems to be the place to go right now.

As far as the Caribbean - I have clients in Dominican Republic right now and everything has been great. No COVID test required anymore, but they are choosing random travelers at the airport to get tested. (My clients were not chosen, nor did they see anyone get chosen) I really like the Excellence brand in Punta Cana, El Carmen is one of the most popular.

St. Lucia and Exuma, Bahamas would be my next choice - both are requiring negative COVID tests but I think the process is going rather smoothly.

Sandals resorts aren't my absolute favorite resorts - I think sometimes they just are overpriced for an all-inclusive resort. They didn't handle the COVID cancellations and rebookings very well, IMO. They were only rebooking to different dates for clients who had scheduled trips, which is fine if it works out for the client BUT sometimes that's just not an option and they would not budge on their cancellation policies.

But, I do still have clients who enjoy a Sandals and Beaches resort (Beaches Turks & Caicos is awesome!) and I usually will book them at Sandals Emerald Bay (the beach is gorgeous!) or Sandals Grande St. Lucian -- out of all them that I have sent clients to, these are the two that always come back with great reviews.
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
wcb
AG
Hincemm said:

Secret maroma or excellence Playa Mujeres will not disappoint
Solid list. I'll add Atelier Playa Mujeres. Go the Inspira route, their master suite is unbelievable.

Another one is El Dorado Palafitos. Had no idea there were over water bungalows in Mexico until a few years ago. Took my wife for her birthday and we loved it.
JMac03
AG
The only thing I will say about Atelier right now - they are having lots of problems bumping people from their room categories and even cancelling reservations. Agents have been complaining about it in my groups about clients paying for rooms (one specific one is the swim-ups) and getting moved to another room without any compensation. A friend was supposed to be there next week and they completely canceled her reservation - and she was a paying customer, not on an agent rate. I'm reading this almost daily with issues.

Everyone loves the resort - just not the current issues.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.