Palo Duro Canyon Recs

1,386 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bluecat_Aggie94
48secDunk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags,

Family is going stir crazy stuck at home, so we decided to visit Palo Duro Canyon next month for an extended weekend. We will be there 3 full days. We went to Utah in June and did all 5 National Parks, so we are up for hiking and seeing nature. Just wondering if anyone has recommendations on:

-The top hikes. I know we are definitely doing the Lighthouse hike. Just wondering if there are any other must do hikes.

-Favorite hikes on the rim, and then favorite hikes in the actual canyon

-Top vantage points to take pics of the Canyon

-We are staying in Amarillo. Any must see/do/eat things to consider in the city? I'm trying to work up the courage to try the steak challenge at the Big Texan Steak House.

Thanks in advance, and if this has already been posted somewhere I would appreciate a link.

Gig Em
Bulldog73
AG
We liked Blue Sky. It's a burger type joint that I think may be a small chain in the area. There was also an Asian food place in the square of Canyon that came highly recommended. I don't remember the name, but it was pretty solid.
Whoop Delecto
AG
48secDunk
AG
Thanks guys, appreciate the advice, and thank you for the links

Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I live in Canyon. Couple of fun places to eat here (Joe Taco on the Canyon square is good Tex-Mex, Feldmans' Wrong Way Diner next to WT campus is a fun place the kids would enjoy)

What kind of hikes are you up for? There are couple of slot canyons that are not on any of the maps. You have to do some work to find them (I have not actually done it myself, but have friends who have. Feel free to DM me or post if you want help trying to find some of those, I could get you some leads)

What age are your kids? There is a cave that you can climb up on top of called "the big cave" on the trail map, almost on the far end from the park entrance. It's just off the road so not really much of a hike, but a lot of fun and some great photo ops.

Honestly, almost every hike I've taken in PD has been rewarding. The Lighthouse is a long but easy hike, with several places you can veer from on the way to scale some easy cliff sides. Do be aware that you get a great views of the Lighthouse about halfway down trail, but when you actually get to the official end of the trail, you can't actually see the Lighthouse. From there, you have to go off the official trail, and you can scale up to the platform between the cliff and the lighthouse, and if you don't do that, you have wasted your time. That path is easily found but not officially marked and it is a bit more strenuous than the trail out, but still something safe for even pretty small kids.

Also, once you get onto the platform right at the base of the lighthouse, you can also pretty easily scale up to the top of the cliff which is opposite the lighthouse.

As for best viewpoints of the Canyon itself, it really depends on time of day, but the official first overlook, where the visitors center is, is really about the best. Also on the entrance road, just before you head down the hill into the Canyon, is another short trail called Goodnight Peak and fewer people use that one, but give equal to better views than the main visitors center view (depending on light, haze, etc)

You are visiting at a great time. Cool weather hiking is the way to go!

Other things to do... the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum in Canyon is outstanding.

The steak challenge is...well, challenging. Most are not successful. Imagine eating an entire pot roast to yourself, plus a salad, roll, and shrimp cocktail. Personally, I'd just enjoy a nice steak, but you do you!

Have fun, and welcome to the Panhandle.

Candiru
AG
Which Doves Rest cabin did you stay in?
Aggiewes
AG
We stayed in El Coronado at Dove's Rest. AWESOME!

Besides the Canyon, the museum was incredible.

Wes '87
CanyonAg77
AG
Search the Panhandle Board. Tons of threads on PDC.

The Asian place is Sayakomarns, on the SE corner of the square. They are remodeling now, so may or may not be any dine-in.

For Mexican, I prefer the local Pepitos to the chain Joe Taco.

The museum is partially open, and world class.

Too old to do much trail walking. One unmarked trail is just past the stables, the parking area on your right. It leads to some unmarked erosional caves.

Green Chile Willies north of town for chicken fried steak.

I appreciate the heck out of what the Big Texan and their owner (Bobby Lee?) do for Amarillo. But at the end of the day, it's a moderate steakhouse with premium prices.

I like Hoffbrau for steaks, have yet to try the Canyon Ranch, a new steakhouse in Canyon. Absolute best is the Double XXL, north of Lake Meredith, but I don't know if they are still in operation past Covid.

As said before, you need online reservations for PD. I'd also try to spend some time at Caprock Canyons
CanyonAg77
AG
https://texags.com/forums/39/topics/3029720
Whoop Delecto
AG
Candiru said:

Which Doves Rest cabin did you stay in?
We stayed in Durango. It is in a group of about 4 cabins with a picnic playground out the front door. The back porch backs up to a smaller finger of the canyon. We thought it was a great view until we drove up the road to the Sky House cabin....Wow!

Durango was well appointed and spacious for the 2 of us. Nice American Leather sofa, Weber grill, large stack of firewood. Every day at dusk, a herd of Auodad walked down the road to the picnic area. Lots of coyotes howling at night, saw wild turkeys.
Whoop Delecto
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
Well, that's the problem, or maybe the benefit of Caprock. There aren't any big towns close. Maybe find a chain hotel in Plainview to the west or Memphis to the east. Living in Canyon, it's a little over an hour, so we don't ever spend the night.

Otherwise maybe try the historical Hotel Turkey in Turkey, or try your luck on VRBO
48secDunk
AG
Thanks again for the tips guys. Really appreciate it.

Kids are 13 & 10 and we did some moderate trails in Utah this summer. Probably couldn't handle a difficult trail.

CCC trail is marked as difficult on the park map, but lot of recommendations from y'all. I'm guessing the hike back up is the hard part? What about the Rock Garden Trail?
Whoop Delecto
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
I believe the CCC trail starts at the first overlook, and drops 100-200 feet. So the difficult part is that you'll have to climb that back out when you're hot and tired.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Rock Garden is also a kids favorite. It's just the side of a hill with big boulders scattered around, many of which you can scale.

If CCC is what I think it is, I would not worry too much about it being too difficult. And you're more likely to be cold than hot in November (it's supposed to snow next week!)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.