Puerto Vallarta Recs

1,994 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by reedsterg
reedsterg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doing a last minute trip to PV for 4-5 days. Never been before. Any recs on where to stay and what to do?
AggieStan
Hyatt ZIVA. Stayed couple years ago. Not bad. Beach protected by rocks/hills. No local can walk up
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
We did Gran Fiesta Americana, not the regular Gran Fiesta. It is a little way out of the city, but not too far. Really nice place. Only good things to say about it.
JMac03
AG
This week I heard great things about the Hyatt Ziva from other agents I'm with. I've had clients stay at Secrets and Hard Rock and both loved it. I'm going for a week in November and staying at Hard Rock.
reedsterg
AG
Thanks for the responses. I'm guessing these are all-inclusives? Is that the way to go? I'm assuming it's pretty safe to venture out? Are there places to go within walking distance? Anywhere to stay away from?
Ken Adams
AG
Did a long weekend trip to Hyatt Ziva and loved it. We never ventured out but we typically stay around the hotels on most our trips like this to all inclusives. Next time we go back to PV we'll stay at the Ziva again
SkiMo
AG
I'll add my 2 cents. If you don't venture out of your hotel in PV then you're missing out on a really cool old town with lots of nightlife and great restaurants. As long as you're gay friendly.
Ag CPA
AG
We like the Punta de Mita condos in... the Punta Mita development, probably 30-40 minutes north of the airport. Also a St. Regis and FS there if you want to splurge.

Sayulita is a fun/safe excursion regardless of where you stay.
Bulldog73
AG
We did secrets a couple years ago. We absolutely loved it. For an AI, the food offerings were fantastic. We walked to the boardwalk a couple times, and we ate at Pancho's Tacos which was absolutely fantastic.

It was probably wiser to Uber instead of walk, but we didn't have any issues. It's definitely on our list to visit again.
SwissAgg
AG
How are the safety concerns there? I was looking at Puerta Vallarta myself.

It seems that there are some good travel deals there.
TailG8TR
AG
Hyatt. Ziva.
Bulldog73
AG
It was just my wife and myself, but we felt fine. Walked from Secrets to the boardwalk twice and back once at night. I tend to try to be pretty aware, but never felt uncomfortable or in danger. In retrospect, it wasn't the wisest thing ever, but it was fine for us.
SwissAgg
AG
Bulldog73 said:

It was just my wife and myself, but we felt fine. Walked from Secrets to the boardwalk twice and back once at night. I tend to try to be pretty aware, but never felt uncomfortable or in danger. In retrospect, it wasn't the wisest thing ever, but it was fine for us.
Thanks for the tips!
Mucho austin
AG
Was that the Secrets/amber combo resort?

If so, we stayed there the year it opened and really liked the hotel.

We got one of the swim up suites and it was much nicer than having to get ready and go to the pool. Just walk of your porch into the semi-private pool.

And we also walked to the boardwalk without any issues.

Only problem was the vendors on the beach. Always am trying to sell you stuff.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
We stayed in the Hyatt Ziva and it was great - but we probably had more fun for way less money in our $100 a night air bnb in the romantic zone. Different experiences.
breezecustomtravel
AG
Hyatt Ziva is most popular there....but I have clients that love the Secrets.

Only thing that is always off-putting there is the vendors on the beach, but I think if you are aware and know about it ahead of time it's not as bad.

I also have some friends that love doing AirBnb here and they love exploring the town and all of it's charm.

Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
KDubAg
AG
We got back from Puerto Vallarta last week. Stayed at Hyatt Ziva. Nice hotel with its private beach, no public access. If you get up early enough you can watch the staff gather up sea turtle eggs and help bury them on the property in different location. At 7:30pm they will release the baby turtles into the ocean.

We went out to eat at Le Kliff ($$$). Nice romantic setting with great view. We went at sunset. http://www.lekliff.com/

We normally don't do excursions but another couple surprised us with zip lining, rappelling, luxury boat snorkeling trip which was a blast.

And use Uber. Way cheaper than taxi.
reedsterg
AG
We ended up staying at the Quinta Maria Cortez last year and it was great. Heading back in May, but our dates aren't available there. Does anyone have any good non all-inclusive recs?

Also considering staying in Punta de Mita for a few days. It seems pretty remote, any fun things to do up there?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.