Hurricane Delta - Cancun

6,236 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggBock
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is anyone currently in Mexico - Cancun/Riviera Maya area? Many hotels are evacuating. They are closing the airport tonight. Flights were full trying to get out starting last night.

I can post resort closures, etc if anyone is interested in this information. Just hope we do not have any Texagers there, and if so, they are able to stay safe.

Last year I went to Cabo and a hurricane came. Luckily it skirted us but it still caused disruption.
JMac03
AG
I'll post what I know here and keep updating it.

Hard Rock Cancun - They are being evacuated to Hard Rock Riviera Maya. HRRM has a large convention center that was built to withstand hurricanes and is a little higher up.

El Dorado Casitas - Being moved to El Dorado Royale (really same resort - I think they have a convention center but will update when know more).

Altelier - being evacuated to a local shelter.

Secrets Maroma - They are sheltering in place. They have 2 shelters onsite, one can withstand up to Cat 3.

Moon Palace/Grand at Moon Palace/all Palace Resorts - Moving to a shelter at the Grand. They have to be there between 1-2PM today. (where I am supposed to go Monday) (Assume this means Beach Palace, Sun Palace, Le Blanc, etc).

Riu Dunamar - being evacuated to somewhere in Playa del Carmen

Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya - they are evacuating to Merida (location unknown) and being told they need to change their flights to fly out of Merida.

Royal Solaris - evacuating, location unknown.

breezecustomtravel
AG
Thank you for the update JMac -- I hope if there are any Texagers there right now they will be able to come home or stay safely in place there...

I'll try and help post if I have any information about other resorts or information in general for anyone scheduled to travel there soon (including myself - scheduled to arrive next week)

Excellence Playa Mujeres/Finest/Beloved - planning on keeping guests at hotel. Told guests they have elementary school nearby as shelter if they need to move guests there.

Iberostar Resorts - reportedly moving all guests to Iberostar Paraiso Convention Center/Complex as shelter

Live Aqua - guests were told they are moving to a government shelter than is a school nearby this afternoon/evening.

Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
90 bull
AG
We are scheduled at El Dorado Maroma starting 10/26. Any gut feeling on if we will be effected?
Ag CPA
AG
If Delta has the same impact that Wilma did then Cancun could be shut down for over a year; it looks like it will hit as a Cat 4, just like Wilma did, but it's much smaller than Wilma was so hopefully the damage is confined.
JMac03
AG
Right now I wouldn't be shocked if a ton of stuff is damaged at the current path. I hate this for them - as if it wasn't bad enough with COVID.
JMac03
AG
Here are some webcams. I'll watch them off and one until its too dark. Good change they won't be online tomorrow.

Hard Rock Cancun: https://www.hrhcancun.com/webcam.htm

Fiesta Americana Cancun Villas

TRS Yucatan: https://phgstream1.palladiumhotelgroup.com/media/stream2/infiniti-trs_hd/infiniti-trs_hd_2.mp4?modestbranding=1&rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0&html5=1&autoplay=1&fbclid=IwAR2EEMC4uOH2ViVoZD4LY75QbaazL3rwUgdlq0CFQZdcrtXkln1WTW-fAaQ

Condos in PDC: https://livestream.com/accounts/75381/events/1721273/player?width=640&height=360&enableInfoAndActivity=true&defaultDrawer&autoPlay=true&mute=false&fbclid=IwAR1e3vPhkLwa0__OIN57sA2fRDkEVWfHR97l9WUgWancdnNBduBZNaxUdmE
Joseydog
AG
My family and I are booked to go over Thanksgiving, but that will not be happening if the hurricane continues on its projected path. I feel really bad for the residents because this could be truly devastating to the area.
HTownAg98
breezecustomtravel said:

Thank you for the update JMac -- I hope if there are any Texagers there right now they will be able to come home or stay safely in place there...

I'll try and help post if I have any information about other resorts or information in general for anyone scheduled to travel there soon (including myself - scheduled to arrive next week)

Excellence Playa Mujeres/Finest/Beloved - planning on keeping guests at hotel. Told guests they have elementary school nearby as shelter if they need to move guests there.

Iberostar Resorts - reportedly moving all guests to Iberostar Paraiso Convention Center/Complex as shelter

Live Aqua - guests were told they are moving to a government shelter than is a school nearby this afternoon/evening.

The Excellence Playa Mujeres complex has been evacuated. Last bus left at 5:00.
JMac03
AG
I'm being told this is Altelier.

This is how they set it up at Le Blanc Los Cabos but they did it for movies. I assume they would have turned it to this if needed.

AggBock
AG
I'm booked at reef hotel playacar on Friday. Watching closely tomorrow.
culdeus
AG
EPM seemed to get more or less a direct hit, no?
culdeus
AG
AggBock said:

I'm booked at reef hotel playacar on Friday. Watching closely tomorrow.
Do you honestly think the airport will be open by Friday?
JMac03
AG
I do. Things are looking pretty good so far. I wouldn't be shocked if it opens tomorrow assuming it continues to pass though. I think it's supposed to be gone by 5-6PM.

Current photo on the hotel zone. All of the other cameras I was watching are down. I'm sure there will be some damage.

Looks like Cozumel has some flooding.

culdeus
AG
The eye made landfall at Puerto Morelos and drug NW directly across the airport. The windfield was so strong that Isla sustained winds of 123mph for more than an hour.

The hotels in the hotel zones are built like tanks, so they may survive but thinking they can get the mudslides flowing by the weekend seems really unrealistic given their struggles with Wilma.
JMac03
AG
Video from someone driving through the city right now. So far not terrible (haven't finished it yet). Just some small branches down. Some trees down too. He did say some areas are without power.

Yes it is on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=322184162414186
txags92
AG
culdeus said:

The eye made landfall at Puerto Morelos and drug NW directly across the airport. The windfield was so strong that Isla sustained winds of 123mph for more than an hour.

The hotels in the hotel zones are built like tanks, so they may survive but thinking they can get the mudslides flowing by the weekend seems really unrealistic given their struggles with Wilma.
After Wilma, it took 5 days to get the first passenger flights to the US out of Cozumel and power was out over most of the island for several days after the storm as well. I would be shocked if the hotel will even let you come down within the next week. You should be expecting a phone call or email from them asking you about rebooking.
breezecustomtravel
AG
I still am not seeing anything about Playa Mujeres and how they fared....a few in groups are asking about Excellence and Secrets/Dreams PM.

Looks like the Hotel Zone/Cancun city centre was spared with minimal damage but power is out.

Travelers that were moved to Hard Rock Riviera Maya from Hard Rock Cancun were told they would be going back today but not sure how that will go.

Still no word on the airport that I have seen either....

In other news, Sammy Hagar was at El Dorado Royale - sheltering with everyone that was there.
Lauren K '07
@breezecustomtravel
AggBock
AG
If Sammy is there I am definitely pressing on!
breezecustomtravel
AG

Glad to hear this!
Lauren K '07
@breezecustomtravel
90 bull
AG
So any news on further south? I am booked at the El Dorado Maroma in a few weeks
JMac03
AG
I haven't but from what I've heard Hard Rock is good and it's even further south. I'll post if I hear anything.
throwaway5363
Hi JMac03, thank you for your helpful information. I am interested in anything you might know about Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya. I am supposed to be flying into CUN tomorrow, staying there. Radio silence from the resort on all fronts, and nothing on any social media accounts. Wondering if they have power, damage, etc. Might you know anything about that resort, or that area? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!
JMac03
AG
throwaway5363 said:

Hi JMac03, thank you for your helpful information. I am interested in anything you might know about Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya. I am supposed to be flying into CUN tomorrow, staying there. Radio silence from the resort on all fronts, and nothing on any social media accounts. Wondering if they have power, damage, etc. Might you know anything about that resort, or that area? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!
I am sure I can find something as several of my TA friends had clients there. Adding - I just asked however they may not know. Yesterday the resort posted that they were closing, evacuating everyone to Merida and they wouldn't be open for the rest of the week. While this may change, if they didn't go back we may not know for a day or so.

On a whole I think everything did well. I am being told that the Palace Resorts are all good (Moon Palace, Grand at Moon Palace, Beach Palace, etc).
BSD
AG
Anyone know how Isla Mujeres fared?
throwaway5363
That is very helpful information JMac, thank you. Where did the Valentin "post" this information about sending folks to Merida and being closed for the week? I'd like to see it
JMac03
AG
This was in one of my groups. I am trying to see if I can find where it was originally shared from but may not be able to find out.

Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya Is EVACUATING
- The Valentin is evacuating their guests to Merida (location unknown) at 1pm.

- The guests have been advised that the Valentin will not reopen this week, that they should expect to fly home from Merida.

- There is an international airport in Merida, FYI.
JMac03
AG

JMac03
AG
I'm going to guess fine. I just got word all Palace Resorts have minimal damage, will be returning to their respective hotels tomorrow and all will start receiving new guests tomorrow.

Palace has a resort on IM so hopefully the other resorts have minimal damage too. I'll be there next Wednesday.
Matsui
AG
Any update on unico?
ChoppinDs40
AG
how's the seaweed?
Michiyo-Fir
Any updates on El Dorado Royale? It's pretty darn close to the hurricane landfall point. I'm supposed to be flying in this Friday and so far I've had no luck reaching their resort. Would love to know what kind of damage they sustained (if any) and if all services will be resuming.

I contacted the travel agency but they said the hotel indicated they are fine and the flight is still scheduled to proceed so I'm not eligible to cancel or change plans.
JMac03
AG
Matsui said:

Any update on unico?
3 posts up - no damage.
JMac03
AG
Airport opened at 3PM today.
breezecustomtravel
AG

Info about El Dorado Resorts....
Lauren K '07
@breezecustomtravel
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.