Pagosa Springs to Arches

1,394 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SkiMo
Guppy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have 10-12 days off in early November. We have a free place to stay in Pagosa springs for 4 days and then I thought about driving up to Arches via 550 and cutting over on 141 via Gateway to Moab. Planning on spending 3 days in Moab and then driving home to El Paso on Highway 191 stoping in Holbrook to see the Petrified Forest. I would have added Monument Valley but it's apparently "closed" due to Covid.

The whole trip hinges on my wife going stir crazy at home and our free place to stay in Pagosa Springs. But I feel like we are shoe horning this trip and I'm worried about what to do with my 2 year old son. He loves to be outside and has a lot of energy but there is only so much walking / hiking he can do at his age.

So my question is any thoughts / ideas on things to do? Especially that's ideal for a young kid. Going to Pagosa is pretty much set in stone due to the free place to stay and we could just turn around and head back to ELP afterwards. Arches is not but I'd love to go back there and do the drive up 550. With that said open to any ideas or modifications to my plan, especially ideas that are good for a young kid.

Thanks!
JustPanda
AG
https://fullsuitcase.com/arches-national-park-kids/
TXAggie2011
AG
At Arches: The short hike to view the Delicate Arch might be a good length for a 2 year old and its usually been pretty quite when I've been up there.

You can walk for as long and as short as you want in Devil's Playground
TXAggie2011
AG
I don't know what the situation is, but a 2 year old boy might have a good time riding one of the trains in the "Pagosa Springs area"...you gotta drive to Durango or Chama, though.
malenurse
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

At Arches: The short hike to view the Delicate Arch might be a good length for a 2 year old and its usually been pretty quite when I've been up there.

That's a funny description for a hike that damn near killed me. I was 60 and in decent shape when my wife and I did it.

ETA: a 2 year old would love Goblin Valley. About 45 minutes from Moab
TXAggie2011
AG
malenurse said:

TXAggie2011 said:

That's a funny description for a hike that damn near killed me. I was 60 and in decent shape when my wife and I did it.

ETA: a 2 year old would love Goblin Valley. About 45 minutes from Moab
There are two Delicate Arch hikes. One is actually to the arch and multiple miles. The other is below and basically a short-ish walk from the parking lot, which allows you to view the arch.
Caladan
OP - if you are still monitoring this thread, let me know. I live part-time on Hwy 191, so can provide some info on Monument Valley and the 191 area.

C
SkiMo
AG
If you go to Moab, make sure not to miss out on Dead Horse Point. Worth the $20 views. And then continue on into Canyonlands to explore. Mesa arch is a super short and easy "hike" with crazy drop off views on the other side of the arch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.