How many folks are actually traveling in the week opened up by school delays

823 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bluecat_Aggie94
2wealfth Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are heading to Wyoming and Montana last week of August and 1st week of September thinking we would miss the worst of the crowds. Are a lot of folks traveling during that time now as Texas public schools have pushed back? Keep seeing a lot of threads about folks going to places at the end of August.
JHUAggie
Our school always start the day after Labor day.

We usually plan a trip in late August/early September as plenty of other schools around the nation are back in session. Every year at some hotel we will get a questions about our kids travelling with us and not being in school yet.
TXTransplant
We are taking Thurs-Mon of Labor Day weekend. Headed to Denver and Vail.

Our district just announced on Wed that they would be delaying the start of school until Sept 8.

My son had already decided to do the online option, but he didn't want to have to worry about logging in to do school work during the trip. The change also allowed us to take the full day on Thursday, rather than flying out in the evening.

As soon as he heard school was delayed, he got excited about the trip. I booked it that day.

I was able to get flights and hotel rooms just fine, but I wasn't seeing great discounts. Round trip HOU to DEN was about $250 per ticket (I paid for one of them with points). It would have been a little cheaper had I booked the week before, but not much.

Best hotel rate I found in Vail was stay two nights, get one free at the Hyatt. That works out to $299/night.

There were a few hotels in Denver in the $100-$125/night range.

Rental car is $270 for Thurs-Mon.

Prices tell me to expect a fair number of people.

Prices to Phoenix and Florida were cheaper (at least when I looked last week). But Phoenix is hot, and I didn't want to deal with a storm in the gulf affecting the trip.

Southwest also still has a limited flight schedule. I could not get a direct flight to ABQ or SLC. Didn't even look at California, since most everything there is still closed. Nixed Portland and Seattle because of the civil unrest.

I checked prices to DEN on United just for fun, and they were the same or higher, depending on which economy option you selected.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Our schools opening up week after next as schedule. You are welcome for not clogging up your beautiful travel destination.
NoahAg
Homeschool FTW. If we go somewhere it'll be after labor day. Maybe push to October when the weather is nicer.
2wealfth Man
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Our schools opening up week after next as schedule. You are welcome for not clogging up your beautiful travel destination.
Have to admit we are empty nesters here in about 2 weeks. We plan taking full advantage of the opportunity to travel to places during non-peak times.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Well, Mr. Homeschooler, you have a LOT more company than usual this year!

We started out homeschooling, moved to public when we relocated to a community we thought we could trust, and when our brood outgrew mom's ability to teach (breastfeeding twins while teaching three... yikes)

But that is THE thing I miss the most, the ability to take off and travel outside of typical peaks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.