Best place in Colorado to visit

6,140 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FightinTexasAg15
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JustPanda said:

Hanging Lake is great but it's lost a lot of its luster from being trashed by the crowds.

Glenwood Canyon is great - Shoshone is a great rapid set.

You can also slide back to the area between red cliff and Leadville for turquoise lake.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

After reading online, I'm willing to do Hanging Lake because of the attendance limit. I read some recent reviews that said it's fantastic since only 30 people are allowed onto the trail every hour or so.

I'm still a little nervous about the shuttle, though.

Just looking at the area, I'm tempted by the Vail Farmers Market (on Sunday morning) and the Betty Ford Alpine Gardens.

Other than that, I'm looking for some scenic (but easy to moderate hikes), biking, and maybe some zip-lining or one of those alpine coasters...???

All those plans are subject to change, though, if I feel like the area is too crowded.

We like waterfalls and lake/water views.
JustPanda
AG
One thing I will say as a precaution: the traffic on I-70 through Glenwood has been atrocious as this time of year they do rock mitigation and road repair.

Make sure you check CO Trip because that will harsh your mellow dramatically - also if you're in GWS - go to Sweet Coloradough for breakfast or sandwiches and ask for free tequila shots and they will pour them.

It's free so why not?
JustPanda
AG
Got it - if you decide to do the gondola lmk and I'll get you some comped scenic ride passes - cuts off $42/47 adult.
JustPanda
AG
My roommate operates the Wolcott zip line over by 4 eagle ranch. It's a great spot.
JustPanda
AG
Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park is also a great option after hanging lake. Lake, gondolas, and Caves... that's a jib
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Just booked a private Jeep tour that will take all of us (dogs included) through either:

- Lower/Upper Yankee Boy Basin
- Cork Screw Pass & Red Mountains
- Imogene Pass

Any thoughts on the best one to do?
Marauder Blue 6
AG
JustPanda said:

Whats your e-mail? I have tons of things E-Vail/Vail Village/Cascade (Grand Hyatt)/West Vail/Eagle Vail/Minturn etc.
I'm old enough to remember when you were discouraging tourism to your state. What changed? Daddy's wallet empty?
JustPanda
AG
I like imogene
JustPanda
AG
She's cool, you're not. Pretty simple. Dad hasn't been around since Dec 2017. Just an FYI on that one. You probably should find a new rock to throw.
turfman80
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Just booked a private Jeep tour that will take all of us (dogs included) through either:

- Lower/Upper Yankee Boy Basin
- Cork Screw Pass & Red Mountains
- Imogene Pass

Any thoughts on the best one to do?
I would do Yankee Boy Basin
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
JustPanda
AG
Hanging Lake is closed.

The wildfires are playing hell on I-70 between Glenwood and Gypsum.
StEdsCOOG
I've decided to stay in Glenwood Springs the Tuesday after Labor Day for the sole purpose of hiking Hanging Lake as I make my way back to Texas from Jackson Hole. I was up in the air between the 6:30 and 8:30 option Wednesday and decided on 6:30 to catch the sunrise at the lake. I read that because of Covid the shuttle will not be running so you will be allowed to park at the trailhead if you have a permit. Print a copy or be ready to show permit on phone at the gate.

I'll be getting into town around 5pm so I need to find something to do when I get there or maybe something the next morning after Hanging Lake. Headed to Aspen afterwards for a few days before driving home.
JustPanda
AG
If you're coming to the 70 corridor anytime over the next couple weeks, the freeway is CLOSED from Glenwood to Gypsum. The ONLY ways to get around are Hwy 50 (Grand Junction to Montrose to Salida) to 24 North (Buena Vista to Leadville) or 13 N (Rifle to Craig) to Hwy 40 to Hwy 9 S. There are no other ways around it.

It will add HOURS to your drive so make arrangements. Yesterday we had 3 crews going to Lake Powell snd it took an extra 7 1/2 hours.

Hanging Lake is closed do to the Grizzly Creek Fire. It's likely not to re-open.

Independence Pass is also closed.
Fairview
AG
I70 by my house tonight.

StEdsCOOG
I'd be coming in from 13 so it looks like I'd miss the closures. Also, the Hanging Lake website says that it will be closed through the 19th. I'll be there three weeks later so hopefully everything will be safe and clear.
JustPanda
AG
I doubt it's going to open. The fire is basicallly on top of hanging lake at the moment. There also may be no hanging lake by that time.
StEdsCOOG
Will they re-open the roads and parks once the fire is out or will they still remain closed for a period of time? Hopefully Independence Trail is open by Labor Day weekend so I can still make the Aspen portion of my trip if Hanging Lake is closed.
JustPanda
AG
They're trying to get Indy open ASAP - big rigs are the problem. They don't fit and when 70 closes, GPS pushes them there and it's a **** show.

It looks like Hanging Lake has been burned. They're assessing the damage once safe, but given the proximity to the fire yesterday, the growth the last 24 hours, and the 0% containment, I wouldn't bet on it being open.

They're saying expect the freeway to be closed for the duration of the weekend.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/gov-polis-best-realistic-case-to-reopen-i-70-is-2-3-days-as-crews-battle-grizzly-creek-fire/
JustPanda
AG
It's been confirmed- Hanging Lake has been destroyed by the Grizzly Creek fire. It's a real loss
TailG8TR
AG
I think you need to research and monitor reports and updates coming out of Colorado. BIG Fires. I70 is a NO GO and some areas you mentioned earlier are seriously affected.

Sorry and Bummer....but you need to start watching online reports pretty closely for the next week.
TailG8TR
AG
Just giving you a heads up....Some BIG Fires in Colorado and GROWING ! I70 is a NO GO and several areas are under closures or soon will be.

Sadly, it is time to start some serious online research and monitoring of reports and updates in order to avoid fire areas or difficult travel to areas even if not actually in the fire areas.
TXTransplant
I'm keeping an eye on things, but we aren't scheduled to go until Thurs-Monday of Labor Day weekend.

I've already accepted our hike to Hanging Lake isn't going to happen. I'll just donate the cost of our reservation to the recovery fund.

With the latest developments, we will probably just visit Vail and locations east of Vail.
TailG8TR
AG
Most recent reports say Hanging Lake may have been spared the worst of the fire's damage. Hopeful !

Hanging Lake Spared ?
TailG8TR
AG
Additional good news regarding Hanging Lake.

Hanging Lake Update
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Just got back from our trip. Here are a couple of pictures from the area. We had a ton of fun there.

Grown Pear
AG
Beautiful... and great pictures!
aggieman00
Ouray is a beautiful area. I would love to go back sometime.

Also, great pics and those are two good looking dogs. What breed are they?
FightinTexasAg15
AG
aggieman00 said:

those are two good looking dogs. What breed are they?
Not completely sure on either, both are adoptions.

But 1 is a german shepherd mix, and the other is some kind of shepherd/husky mix. At least that's what we were told on them. Both are great and smart dogs
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.