Best place/way to rent a travel trailer/RV.

1,752 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by firetrout
FbgTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about renting a travel trailer for a couple of months (instead of buying one). Anybody ever done this and/or anyone know the best place with the most options?

Thanks in advance.
512Ag
AG
I don't have personal experience with it, but my neighbor rented a camper through Outdoorsy.com this summer and he was happy with the process. The guy he rented it from brought the camper to my neighbor's house and taught him how to hook it up and set it up correctly.
TshirtVulture
If you happen to be close to the Temple Belton area I know there's a guy/or place (not sure) that rents out about three or four of them and advertises on craigslist.
cohibasymas
AG
Considering the costs of rental, especially for a couple months, you may be better off buying and re-selling rather than renting. At least it may be worth the research to really compare.
FbgTxAg
AG
cohibasymas said:

Considering the costs of rental, especially for a couple months, you may be better off buying and re-selling rather than renting. At least it may be worth the research to really compare.
This is now my line of thinking.
62strat
AG
cohibasymas said:

This.

We looked at renting an RV or trailer, and they get into 4 figures quickly for a single week. trailers were $120-$150 a night, driveable RVs are about the same base rate, but you go 1000 miles and it adds several hundred, plus you might end up adding on the kitchen and bedding kits, so you're at $1500 a week in no time.

For a month you're looking at several thousand dollars.

You can buy a used one and sell it likely for same cost if you're willing to put in a bit of effort and time.
BT1395
AG
FbgTxAg said:

cohibasymas said:

We just did this and bought a 40' Class A that had just been refurbished. Immediately took it on a 2-week, 3,500-mile trip and it was fantastic. Got an incredible deal on the buy, so should easily be able to sell for what I bought if for at any point in the next year or two if we don't want to keep it. Doing that trip with a rented rig would have easily been north of $12,500. Holler with any specific questions...
FbgTxAg
AG
BT1395 said:

FbgTxAg said:

cohibasymas said:

We just did this and bought a 40' Class A that had just been refurbished. Immediately took it on a 2-week, 3,500-mile trip and it was fantastic. Got an incredible deal on the buy, so should easily be able to sell for what I bought if for at any point in the next year or two if we don't want to keep it. Doing that trip with a rented rig would have easily been north of $12,500. Holler with any specific questions...
Bought a 2019 Airstream 22fb from a private seller here in Texas and I'm heading out to Wyoming in 2 weeks!
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
AV8ORAG84
AG
Looking at airstream right now. Definitely a sellers market. Have a few I'm working with seller on
Every day is a Holiday, Every Meal is a Banquet, My upperclassmen treat me like a brother, God I LOVE IT HERE!!!!
breezecustomtravel
AG
We rented a camper for a long weekend through RVshare.com and I think that some will do a long term rental. It was very similar to AirBnB and VRBO but for RVs or campers. We picked ours up but I think some will even deliver to you.

Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
62strat
AG
AV8ORAG84 said:

Definitely a sellers market.
RV dealers around me in Denver have mostly empty lots. They can't keep them in stock.

FbgTxAg
AG
Yup. What's weird is most other types of RV's haven't seen the same sort of bump.

Not sure what that means, but it's interesting.

I've just never been interested in anything other than an Airstream - unless were talking about a $300,000 Prevost.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
Yesterday
AG
FbgTxAg said:

Yup. What's weird is most other types of RV's haven't seen the same sort of bump.

I've just never been interested in anything other than an Airstream - unless were talking about a $300,000 Prevost.

I assure you the entire market has seen a bump. 5th wheels may be the least affected because most don't have a 3/4 ton or 1 ton to tow it. Class C's are the most popular.
62strat
AG
FbgTxAg said:

agreeing with yesterday above; the empty lots are not just airstreams. All Rv sales are way up. My neighbor just bought a toy hauler and pretty much got the first one he found on a lot, well, because he couldn't find any on a lot.

Also interesting, there isn't a life jacket to be found in this town. 25+ retailers that normally have them can't keep them on the shelf.
Yesterday
AG
62strat said:

FbgTxAg said:

agreeing with yesterday above; the empty lots are not just airstreams. All Rv sales are way up. My neighbor list bought a toy hauler and pretty much got the first one he found on a lot, well because he couldn't find any on a lot.

Also interesting, there isn't a life jacket to be found in the town. 25+ retailers that tenor ally have them can't keep them on the shelf.

Anything outdoors. State parks are packed now. I used to be able to get RV camping reservations the week of. Now I have to wait for a cancellation or book months out. Not a bad thing but selfishly it sucks.
firetrout
AG
I have one listed for sale in the classified section. 28' bumper pull bunkhouse.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.