anniversary trip, with infant

1,064 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by I Play With Guns
07ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
looking for travel suggestions, spouse wants us to take an anniversary trip in early March 2021, will have 6 week old infant along (first child). live in houston. more ambitious ideas so far include destin area, palo duro canyon

also interested in tips for family travel and travel with a kid
https://ts.la/eric59704
Vernada
AG
Drive to grandma's house.
Drop kid.
Enjoy you trip.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
With a 6 week old your sleep deprivation will be high. My recommendation would be get the nearest 5 star hotel, send the kid to grandma, rest and order room service. We went to Port A with a 3 month old and the Destin 2 months later.

Also at 6 weeks, one of the top vacation activities might still be out of the equation
AggieOO
At 6 weeks, they sleep all the time. Take advantage before you have to actually entertain them.

Car rides at that age are easy.
07ag
AG
Vernada said:

Drop kid.
Enjoy you trip.
that's what i'm wanting to do, need to convince her
07ag
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

With a 6 week old your sleep deprivation will be high. My recommendation would be get the nearest 5 star hotel, send the kid to grandma, rest and order room service. We went to Port A with a 3 month old and the Destin 2 months later.

Also at 6 weeks, one of the top vacation activities might still be out of the equation
i am a bit worried about the sleep deprivation. i can see a staycation being ideal!
jopatura
AG
We did New Orleans from Houston after I was cleared for all activities at 12 weeks. Left baby with Grandma for the weekend. 6 weeks, especially if the kid comes late, is really pushing it. There's no shame in celebrating the anniversary a little later to actually enjoy it.

If you still really want to do it, the only way I'd consider it is at an AirBNB type place where you don't have to worry about the baby crying waking up a whole hotel floor. Then you also have adequate space for all the baby stuff.
AggieOO
07ag said:

Vernada said:

Drop kid.
Enjoy you trip.
that's what i'm wanting to do, need to convince her

Good luck withthat at 6 weeks. We are 2 years in, and the wife has not spent a night away from our daughter.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Anniversary trip with a six week old ? Six weeks ? That meant we were staying home. Happy anniversary honey where do you want me to pick up dinner ? Geez I'm old.
rondis23
AG
It is easier to get away when baby is only 6 weeks of age. If you dont do it then...expect baby to be 2 or older and you still never spending a night away from them. It become A Lot harder. Even without the #1 vacation activity...youll be fine.
Snipes
AG
Not everybody has grandma willing to baby sit.

My wife and 7week old tagged along to an extended business trip to Europe.

First week was bit rough getting little one time change sorted but rest was fine.

They are super easy to put them in the bjorn and go do want you want.

Have lot of great pictures with her all over western Europe.

Biggest problem will be your comfort level of corona virus.
TempleAg97
AG
Vernada said:

Drop kid.
Enjoy you trip.

Even if it's just one night an hour from your house, THIS is the answer. I've dedicated my life to my boys who are now 17 and 19, but when they were too little to enjoy traveling, my wife and I got away every once in a while. Then we started taking them when they could enjoy it and now they each have 40+ states.

Go relax for a little bit!
Scotts Tot
AG
With our second kid now 5 months, first thing I'll say is that what you can get away with regarding travel can be vastly different from kid to kid. Our first hated being confined and has always been brutal to travel with. After having that as a frame of reference, it blew our mind on our first longer car trip with the second baby that she just sits there quietly the whole time.

At 6 weeks it will depend on a lot that you can't predict. That's earlier than when a lot of people would feel comfortable leaving their kid, unless grandparents are pretty competent with babies. At 6 weeks, you're still in that constant feed/nap cycle and lots of night wakings. Honestly if it was us, we would wait to celebrate until the baby was old enough to spend a few nights at the grandparents house (could be 6 weeks, could be 3-4 months), and go on our own. The first 2-3 months can be exhausting enough as it is, trying to force a vacation in there with a newborn might end in a lot of frustration. If anything isn't going well, like naps or feeding, being on vacation will just make it that much more stressful.

Bottom line, for myself and almost anyone I know with kids, until they're old enough to enjoy the trip themselves, leave them with the grandparents if the option is available.
I Play With Guns
S
Terrible idea. Plus if she has any type of complications during delivery, you've got to cancel. I'd just postpone until you can go and actually enjoy it.

6 weeks out, due to delivery complications, I was still confined to the house and was only allowed (per doctor's orders) to go on short walks in my neighborhood.

Another thing to keep in mind, if she's going to breast feed, she will be hooked up to the pump or the baby will be latched on to the titties every 2-3 hours.

Just my 2 cents as a mom to a 10 month old!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.