Recent Air Travel

1,497 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by The Milkman
speckledtrout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am curious if anybody has taken any flights in the last 30 - 45 days. I'm considering a trip in October and still a bit nervous. My sense is that the airlines are hyper-sensitive to cleaning and the threat of getting Covid while on the flight might not be as bad as perceived.
LegalDrugPusher
I have flown several times since coronavirus and planes are cleaner than ever before.

Hop on the plane, you will be fine. You have a much greater chance of the plane going down than you will ever have with coronavirus
TexasAggie008
AG
Covid era plane trip #3 today and finally made it to Sedona

The risk / reward couldn't be more worth it imo
ORAggieFan
Flew last week with my two kids under 10. It's great flying right now, other than some airport restaurants being closed depending on airport.
Bachelor99
AG
i fly about once a month...no issues flying except you have to wear a mask....other than that, great flying experience....short security lines...middle row seats open (on southwest)...
MemorialTXAg
speckledtrout said:

I am curious if anybody has taken any flights in the last 30 - 45 days. I'm considering a trip in October and still a bit nervous. My sense is that the airlines are hyper-sensitive to cleaning and the threat of getting Covid while on the flight might not be as bad as perceived.

I took several flights including to Europe. Only my Euro-euro leg had middle seats open. US and international full. Sucked since at the time it booking only isle and window seats could be reserved. Hence everyone had to reshuffle once they got on and the flight was full. United dropped their group boarding. Instead it's by rows. This for some reasons creates incredible confusion for passengers and the gate staff. It's actual hilarious to watch.

Planes have never been cleaner. People don't move around the cabin as much on a transatlantic flight. Everyone I saw wore a face mask.

Europe is empty. It's incredible if you can get out. Hope this bankrupts professional Airbnb businesses which have largely contributed to the tourist explosion. Same with cruise ships in the med.
YouBet
AG
Airlines are cleaning the heck out of their planes. No worries here.
HollywoodBQ
AG
We've done a few threads on this during the past 60 days.
I've flown AA and United.
Flights are going to be FULL because there aren't very many flights.
Depending where you're going, small market flights might not operate daily anymore.
The main thing is that you will need to be self-sufficient with respect to food once you embark on your journey.

On a longer flight (like LAX-MIA) they will serve you a snack and a drink. But that's it.
Expect security lines to be short (except in Miami for some reason).
Expect a minimal amount of restaurants to be open, if any.
Expect restaurant menus to be limited.

Expect hysterical people to be at the airport and onboard the flight. We're seeing some of the most bizarre passenger behaviour that I've ever seen.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Looking forward to seeing more full hazmat suit wearers and goggles.
speckledtrout
Thanks for the replies. Candidly, I just don't know what to believe anymore regarding this pandemic.

HollywoodBQ - You have to spill the beans regarding some of the strange behavior on flights. That sounds very entertaining.
LegalDrugPusher
speckledtrout said:

Thanks for the replies. Candidly, I just don't know what to believe anymore regarding this pandemic.

HollywoodBQ - You have to spill the beans regarding some of the strange behavior on flights. That sounds very entertaining.

Here is a hint: none of it is as big as it seems!!
Matsui
AG
Less people. Wear a mask. Lines are non existent. Boarding gates are full but airports are empty

Tsa reported 700k passengers a day last week. Compared to 2.7 million a year ago. It had gotten down to around 250k passengers at the lowest point.
murphyag
AG
I've had to fly several times for work this summer. Southwest and Delta have done the best job with the social distancing, being cleaner than usual. Wasn't impressed with my flights on American.

Southwest has the middle seat of each row being left empty through the end of October.

Delta has middle seat being left empty though the end of September last I saw, but they may have extended that. Call Delta and ask customer service if you plan to fly with them.
wangus12
AG
Aww man. We're flying American to Jackson Hole in September.
The Lost
United was fine. I hope they keep the boarding from the back, its awesome and i dont get the rush to get on the plane other than overhead bin space.

If you're concerned about seating, pay for the economy plus and check your self day of once upgrades are given and you should be able to find spots with empty middles.

Flew Den-iah-VPS round trip and never sat by anyone on any flight. It's just as safe as the grocery store (probably safe really).
fire09
AG
No issues other than Grayhound crowd taking advantage of discount flights.
agdaddy04
AG
Yes the boarding from back to front is nice. Also very neat to see everyone stay seated when you're back at the gate. Hope that stays.
The Milkman
AG
About to board a SWA flight out of BWI and what a mess they've made here. The Southwest counters had lines hundreds of people deep and spanning the entire entry concourse. None of the digital self-service machines were on and everyone that was checking a bag had to be handled by a person. There were probably 500-600 people in the counter area.

Luckily we aren't checking anything and walked right by to the Precheck security line which was nearly empty. They've got to get that under control.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.