Where should we road trip?

1,703 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by histag10
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Work is really busy for me in August and September and we have t taken a trip yet this year so we're planning on 10 days or so at the end of September/October. We live in Austin and have two daughters, ages 7 and 5. Wife doesn't want to go to the beach. Where should we go? We were sort of thinking AR/TN area but don't know much/haven't done much research yet.

Where should we go?
Austintm
ReloadAg said:

Work is really busy for me in August and September and we have t taken a trip yet this year so we're planning on 10 days or so at the end of September/October. We live in Austin and have two daughters, ages 7 and 5. Wife doesn't want to go to the beach. Where should we go? We were sort of thinking AR/TN area but don't know much/haven't done much research yet.

Where should we go?
Somewhere cool with kids that age, maybe northern New Mexico (Angel Fire or Red River) or Durango/Purgatory? Or go further up to Breck or Steamboat. I'd say Telluride (which we love) but we just checked and because of sparse crowds and COVID, they are pretty much going to be shut down. Gondola is closing early this year, and many places are going to temporarily close during that time. You might check the others as well.
512Ag
AG
We just got back from an Austin-to-Durango road trip with the kids (ages 5, 7, 9). It was a relatively easy drive -- with the exception of three blown tires on our camper -- and there's plenty to do in Durango/Purgatory/San Juan National Forest. You can also jump over to Pagosa Springs or up to Ouray pretty easily. It was amazing in July, so I can only imagine how great it'd be in September/October.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Black HIlls, SD
  • Sturgis
  • Deadwood
  • Mount Rushmore
  • Crazy Horse Memorial
Devil's Tower, WY
Wicked Good Ag
If going the hot air ballon festival in Albuquerque is Early October and probably the best month to visit New Mexico if you don't ski
ReloadAg
AG
What kind of stuff did y'all do?
512Ag
AG
We were there for 5 days, so obviously we had to pick and choose a few things. There's a ton to do in that area.

Hiked easy to moderate trails (Potato Lake Trail was great if you have a vehicle that can get you up 2-3 miles of rocky, unpaved road to the trailhead)

Alpine slide and mountain coaster at Purgatory,

Horseback riding (the outfit we used is right across from Purgatory, but there are a ton of options)

Train museum in Durango (didn't ride the train because we didn't have time to fit it in this trip).

We camped a good ways south of Durango at Navajo State Park. It was nice, but it's an hour from the mountains. We wanted to stay in a state park, so that's what why we settled on Navajo. Ridgeway would've been my first choice, but it was booked.

We stopped at Palo Duro Canyon on the way there to avoid driving in New Mexico for long. It added an hour on the second day of the drive. On the way home we went through Santa Fe and across to Lubbock, which would've saved us time had we not blown tires on the road.
ReloadAg
AG
Thanks! That train looks amazing.
512Ag
AG
The museum was great -- and free. I've heard the train ride is phenomenal.
aviationag
AG
Absolutely Durango! I'm sitting on Main Street right now and just ran into 3 different Aggies. Durango, nearby Vallecito Reservoir, Silverton, Mesa Verde, Ouray- just majestic and beautiful.

ReloadAg
AG
Right now we're leaning towards Sedona, AZ. Wife and I flew there a few years ago and loved it and it's only about 15 hrs from Austin. Looks like there's a decent amount of stuff there for kids to do.
aggielax11
AG
We just got back from Jackson Hole (Grand Tetons), Yellowstone, and hit up Frisco Co on the way home.

Also live in Austin and kiddos are 5 and 3.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Last spring break we took our kids to Arizona. In a week, we did:

Phoenix
Goldfield ghost town (short drive from Phoenix)
Sedona
Flagstaff
Train ride from Williams to the Grand Canyon
Bearizona wildlife park
Meteor Crater park
Monument Valley

Arizona gives you desert, mountains, the Grand Canyon.... it's so varied and so much to do. And that time of year you should be out of the horrible heat in the desert.

Similarly, the year before we did West Texas... Big Bend, McDonalds Observatory, Rio Grande float trip, Marfa, Guadalupe Peak, Carlsbad Caverns in NM. Also a great trip.

Couple of ideas. I assume you're driving.

Oh, I see you are already leaning towards Arizona. Good Ags think alike.
histag10
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Black HIlls, SD
  • Sturgis
  • Deadwood
  • Mount Rushmore
  • Crazy Horse Memorial
Devil's Tower, WY

With kids that age, i would also say Storybook Island in Rapid City.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.