Need somewhere to hang out for a week

1,385 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by nosoupforyou
drewbie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Travel board, I haven't frequented this in a while due to COVID and my personal situation of not being able to travel. My wife was in a high-risk pregnancy the first part of this year and then COVID happened. Baby Drewbie was born July 3 and is doing well. We are absolutely dying to get out of the Houston area. My brother-in-law is moving to Kansas City in October, and we would like to visit him in November. We are optimistic the baby will be able to handle the drive up there.

My work is completely remote for the time being, and I'm anticipating it will last through the rest of the year. My question is thisare there any nice getaway places somewhere near or along the route from Houston to Kansas City? I envision spending a week at a nice cabin or something so I can work and my wife and have fun with the baby. Any comments or suggestions are welcome!
BlueAg2003
AG
Maybe Broken Bow, OK? They have some great cabins there and there is plenty to do. I always rent from these folks:

https://www.brokenbowvacationcabins.com/
752bro4
AG
I'm in a very similar situation - 3 week old at home and we're getting a serious case of cabin fever. We have until Oct. until my wife goes back to work.

We are in DFW, and looking at 3 options - one in the Hill Country (F'burg/NB/Wimberly/Canyon Lake) - several AirBnBs available, stuff to do or see, or at least different stuff than what we're doing at home now.

The 2nd option we're looking at is Lake Hamilton in central AR - near Hot Springs. Stuff to do, a lake, hiking, and again, just not being at home and pretty affordable.

Unlikely, but also considering a 4-5 day stretch in Gulf Shores, AL, and being gone for 6-7 when you include the drive and stopping overnight. If we do this one, it'll be after Labor Day when it's less busy.

Somewhere in the Ozarks could work for you too.
drewbie08
AG
I've heard of Broken Bow before, and Hot Springs and the Ozarks sound doable as well. I can take a look at various spots in those locations, but if anyone has any specifics, send this this way!

752bro4, I can't speak to the Gulf Coast too much, but there are a lot of options in the hill country area you mentioned. I'd extend your search parameters to Dripping Springs and Fredericksburg. You might be able to find something that suits your needs those places too.
CanyonAg77
AG
Don't have specifics, but I'd be checking out the Ozarks.
Wicked Good Ag
If you are going to Arkansas I would try the Northwest Part if the state and then hit Hot Springs and the Lake Hamilton area on way back. With very little ones Arkansas isn't near as fun. It has a great state park system IMO and Buffalo River area is great for outdoors stuff but newborns not so much.
Rexter
Eureka Springs is nice. Check for places that will be open. November is late in the season for visiting.
AggieOO
northwest Arkansas is pretty damn nice.
aggiewhoop122
We rented from this company (through airBNB/vrbo) a few weekends ago in Broken Bow and absolutely loved it. It was only a 2.5 drive from Dallas and was so nice getting out of the city for the weekend. We did a 2.5 hour float along the river on Saturday and the water was cold and refreshing! Suggest bringing your own tubes to avoid waiting in a long line. Will definitely be going back here. Grateful head pizza place was fantastic too!

https://luxurycabinsinbrokenbow.com/cabins/

nosoupforyou
AG
Key to this trip is enjoyable summer weather

What's the closest place away from Houston and Dallas to get cool temps in the summer?

Hill Country and East Texas is hot.
Figured OK is hot too?

NW Arky?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.