Ski season 20/21

1,593 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JustPanda
MemorialTXAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How are we looking? With WFH thinking of moving to Park City for 3-4 months to make the most of the season.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Username checks out
The Lost
Weekends are gonna be a zoo trying to get access, who knows how during the week will be.

Steamboat had already said spacing lines differently and prepared a system for limited access drawings.

Not a bad idea if you enjoy the mountains, but be prepped for them to be closed/not easy to gain access. It won't be the 50+ days you could get in a normal year wfh. Also hope you can work half days or something during the week.

We're gonna try and go as much as possible before Christmas, Jan/feb/mar are gonna be hard if they're even open.
RachAg2007
AG
It's either going to be the best season ever or the worst. Steamboat gave a presentation to City Council last week- they sound cautiously optimistic.
drumboy
AG
MusicFest has been canceled for 2020 so Steamboat is gonna be a lot less crowded the second week of the year.
The Lost
RachAg2007 said:

It's either going to be the best season ever or the worst.

Agreed completely.

If they manage to stay fully open it will be amazing since a ton of causal people won't come/drop their pass, which should lead to solid drives, parking, and limited lift lines.

The second restrictions occur, it will be awesome if you get in, but suck from a consistency stand point.

There's always the fear of them closing even earlier or not even opening. Who knows, I get places being optimistic though.
MAS444
AG
The Telluride people we spoke to last week said the governor was supposed to make some kind of decision on this on/by September 1st.
gggmann
AG
Anxiously waiting. Bought a new board and step-in bindings/boots last season. Only got to go 3 times before all of this nonsense took off.
MAS444
AG
One thing I bet they'll for sure do is not allow different groups/singles on a chair together. They were doing this for the gondola in Telluride and it made the line/wait 3 times longer than normal.
RachAg2007
AG
Yes- I've heard from the state (Colorado) that they are currently working with ski resorts on messaging and winter sports guidance.
JustPanda
AG
Backcountry is gonna be the win this winter.
JustPanda
AG
If J1 visas aren't being issued in October, it's going to be a very limited selection on most mountains front sides.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I'll gladly wear a "mask" if they just open up like normal
The Lost
JustPanda said:

Backcountry is gonna be the win this winter.
Will also probably be the most dangerous its ever been with a bunch of people out there who shouldn't be too.
JustPanda
AG
I don't see a lot of people that shouldn't be back there having the stamina to really boot pack skin up or having access to a sled to run rodeo. I'm sure it'll be busier than normal (maybe not since internationals and J1s won't be around, but not worried about it.

If you go into the back without training, you're asking to die.
2wealfth Man
AG
Breck was talking about some kind of reservation system to limit the number of people on the mountain. Lift line spacing TBD.

Some of these ski towns can't economically survive another year with low to zero visitors. I think they will find a way to make things works safely.
JustPanda
AG
The concerning thing is Perisher and the other Aussie mouthing were supposed to serve as tests for the US and they got closed early because they couldn't create a safe environment.
NoahAg
Skiing/boarding is about the most socially distant outdoor activity you can do. You're nearly completely covered up, spread out from everyone else. Just separate people in the lift lines.

I suppose it's the village activities, bars, restaurants, etc that are the concerns.
JustPanda
AG
Right now we know it's at least going to be one group per gondola, face masks everywhere, no mixed chairs, grab and go contactless payment only food and beverage - no inside dining or drinking w all tables socially distanced. Likely no group ski schools, only private (includes guests traveling together).

The buses already all require social distancing, and most private resort shuttles are not running.

It also sounds like most mountains that require J-1 visas will not have those workers which sucks because then only a portion of the terrain opens. No back bowls etc.

Also, it sounds like the airlines are about to cut a ton of flights out of Denver and several of the flights into and out of the regional CO airports.

The quota/reservation systems they've throwing around are not what you want if you're from OOS.
maroon10
AG
Will they be lowering the number of attendees for group ski lessons? Curious, we plan on going to Steamboat and having our 5 year old take lessons for the first time.
MAS444
AG
Ski resorts should be fine since they don't rely on OOS revenue.
JustPanda
AG
F&B and Ski School will be the biggest hurt to the bottom line. The on mountain dining and in town dining make a ton for the resorts and ski school is the bread and butter money maker for the winter. By moving ski schools from group ($259 + lift ticket + equipment) to $900-1100 per group it helps them capture more revenue with the smaller volume. From a business standpoint, it makes sense.

The only ski school and race activities I know that aren't being impacted thus far around here are the Colorado Kids Ski Free program along w DEVO BEAVO and other ski clubs along with FYOT and BWL.

I'm interested in seeing how the manage the lift lines - that's going to be the one that either keeps us open or closes us down.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.