Loooong RV or 5th wheel trip

2,689 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by NoahAg
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone traveled for a long time in an RV or 5th wheel, like a year? I've found a bunch of blogs about yearlong RV trips, and a good RV vs. 5th wheel pro/con list. Just curious if anyone here had firsthand experience.
ChoppinDs40
AG
buddy of mine's parents retired and bought one of those sick diesel pusher rigs 2 years ago... $375k.

He's had to limp it back to Indiana where it was built/purchased twice already.

Motorhome is more comfortable when just cruising and getting place to place but I think a 5th wheel is more reliable.

Pro to the RV is being able to tow a fun vehicle behind it.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Why is it called a 5th wheel? I've always wondered.
malenurse
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Go to the OB and ask. You will get tons of replies and a great argument over which is better. A 5th wheel or a goose neck.
nonameag99
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

The hitch is the 5th wheel
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
Lavender Gooms
AG
No firsthand experience here, but.my wife and I are planning on doing this hopefully in the next 3-4 years (gotta get some debts paid off first). I've done a good bit of research on it so far.

Our plan right now is to get a bumper pull travel trailer and pull that. Talked about the motorhome option and tow a vehicle behind, but think that with kids it'd be safer to have a truck/SUV to travel in. Haven't looked too much into 5th wheels.

My line of work allows for travel jobs pretty easily so I'll likely work part time, then take time to explore on the way to the next gig.

There's some good YouTube channels out there on this.

Gone with the Wynns (just a couple without kids, started off RVing, now are sailing around the world)
Family Fulfillment Project (husband and wife with 4 kids who he quit his job and they traveled full time with kids)
Lots of others we've checked out
cohibasymas
AG
We've worked and traveled full-time from our motor home for almost 4 years. Currently in Ouray CO for the summer. Don't think we'll go back to sticks and bricks anytime in the foreseeable future.

We're in a 34' gas Class A. Our next RV will almost certainly be a 5th wheel. Doubt we would buy another motor home for the kind of travel we do. We pull a Jeep behind us, so two engines, two transmissions, etc. to deal with.

There's no right solution for everyone. It's a compromise between space, intended use, and of course budget.
62strat
AG
Quote:

I've seen a truck towing 5th wheel towing a boat/atv/jeep plenty of times. This is certainly not a limitation of pulling a 5th wheel.
62strat
AG
If you do this, absolutely don't buy a brand new driveable (or trailer for that matter), and hit the road. New rvs/rigs are notorious for having issues, because they get on the road and things start to come loose.

Either buy a used one, or if you get a new one, take it on a few dozen short trips first. Everyone I know with a new class A or C has been in the shop during first couple of trips. This is like a dozen or more people.

5th wheels and gooseneck are different types of connections. Gooseneck looks like a typical ball hitch, but it's in the truck bed. 5th wheel is semi style with a large pin and horseshoe type clamp.

https://www.curtmfg.com/5th-wheel/gooseneck-adapters/learn-more
NoahAg
Good stuff. Keep it coming. If we can pull it all together our two kids will be teenagers when we go in a few years. Ideally I can keep some form of my current job. But I'm with a small company and not sure how my boss would like me being gone for a year. Even though 95% of what I do can be done remotely.
cohibasymas
AG
NoahAg said:

Good stuff. Keep it coming. If we can pull it all together our two kids will be teenagers when we go in a few years. Ideally I can keep some form of my current job. But I'm with a small company and not sure how my boss would like me being gone for a year. Even though 95% of what I do can be done remotely.

If you ever want to brainstorm over the phone, email me kristoferww at gmail dot com with TexAgs in the title. Done this kind of "coaching" with several folks/families and it's fun for us. Offer extended to anyone on TexAgs not just OP.
AggieLady70
AG
We've pulled 5th wheels of all kinds, stock trailers, horse trailers, and travel trailers. They are much less likely to "fish tail" than bumper pulls and are easy to hook up with a mirror to line up with the ball in the bed of the pickup.
JB
AG
We are exactly one month into doing this. In Colorado now.

Me, my wife, and our 2 yr old. Plan on stopping when we find place we want to live.

We are in a 38' 5th wheel we remodeled.
JB
AG
There are pros/cons to every type of RV

My favorite changes every day. There is no "forever" RV. They all are built pretty poorly.

Only buy used. Go to PPL and look around. See what works for you right now.
JB
AG
62strat said:

Quote:

I've seen a truck towing 5th wheel towing a boat/atv/jeep plenty of times. This is certainly not a limitation of pulling a 5th wheel.

I would disagree. Triple towing is a pain. And the frame of the 5th wheel should really be beefed up if your plan on pulling an extra 5-6k behind it. Also not legal in a few states.
drumboy
AG
My dad did this for a couple years, moving around once a month or so and had a nice RV spot in a fancy park in Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach or something.

He said every time he arrived at a new place he'd have to call the RV repair guys and it was always a 4-5 figure repair bill.
NoahAg
JB said:

We are exactly one month into doing this. In Colorado now.

Me, my wife, and our 2 yr old. Plan on stopping when we find place we want to live.

We are in a 38' 5th wheel we remodeled.
Sounds awesome. Do you plan on doing this indefinitely? What do you do for work, if you don't mind me asking?
JB
AG
Not indefinitely. I just needed a break from the 9-5, 2 weeks vacation per year, traffic, stress etc

I was in construction before with a great company that I could go back to if I need to. We saved up and sold the house to fund us for awhile.

As far as the traveling goes, I would highly recommend staying places for at least a week or so. Moving every day or every 2-3 days gets old. The idea for us was to explore the areas more that we always seemed to rush through when we were on vacation.
third deck
AG
drumboy said:

My dad did this for a couple years, moving around once a month or so and had a nice RV spot in a fancy park in Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach or something.

He said every time he arrived at a new place he'd have to call the RV repair guys and it was always a 4-5 figure repair bill.

This x 1000! My parents had 5th wheels, motor homes, did it all. They got the bug for a while and then concluded RV'ing was more problems than it was worth after years of headaches and horror stories. Now my kids are pushing me for an RV, but I have lived this story. I have been travelling through Utah, Arizona, Colorado this past few weeks and just flash them a smile as our AWD Subaru zips past another RV limping up a 6% grade in the mountains. I get it...a lot of people love it and it offers a certain lifestyle that appeals to our sense of wanderlust, but I am not sure you are saving much money or gaining much freedom when all is said and done. Personally, I think a sprinter van is a better option, but that comes with many drawbacks of its own.
cena05
AG
I have no experience in RV's, but I thought y'all might be interested in this.

Yesterday
AG
Currently on a 15 day trip to the west coast and back from Dallas. We have a 37' fifth wheel mid bunk and our tow vehicle is a f250 with the 6.7 diesel.

We had a 27' travel trailer that we enjoyed but IMO nothing beats a 5th wheel as far as towing experience and room to breath. There are plenty of people who love their TT's and don't mind being crammed in there. More power to them.

For those who say RV's can be a pain, they're absolutely correct. They can also be awesome. So far I've noticed that one of our slides on our 2019(bought used at a 60% reduction from retail) was hooked up incorrectly, one AC didn't have proper Freon, we've had one blow out on this trip etc.

If you're handy then it's not that big of a pain. For instance, replacing the AC only cost me $600 cause I did it myself in an afternoon. If I took it to the dealer it would have been $1200 and most likely a month.

RV's are thrown together and sold with a warranty but the fact is most warranty work takes months due to the backlog and most don't mess with it. There's also the maintenance. You have to keep bearings packed, creases need to be caulked, need to keep the rig covered etc.

Then there is the fun part. Sleeping under the stars. Camping a mile from the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Taking your kids on a trip and seeing 4 states and only paying $30/night. Sleeping in your own bed. Taking a dump on the road on your own pot. Etc.

Here are a few pictures from our current trip.

LRHF
AG
We are two months into our travel trailer trip out west. Minor issues but nothing
Major. Been a great break from the 8-6 pm lifestyle!
agdaddy04
AG
May be interested in this advice as well. Wife just brought it up on our drive down this week.
The Lost
third deck said:

drumboy said:

This x 1000! My parents had 5th wheels, motor homes, did it all. They got the bug for a while and then concluded RV'ing was more problems than it was worth after years of headaches and horror stories. Now my kids are pushing me for an RV, but I have lived this story. I have been travelling through Utah, Arizona, Colorado this past few weeks and just flash them a smile as our AWD Subaru zips past another RV limping up a 6% grade in the mountains. I get it...a lot of people love it and it offers a certain lifestyle that appeals to our sense of wanderlust, but I am not sure you are saving much money or gaining much freedom when all is said and done. Personally, I think a sprinter van is a better option, but that comes with many drawbacks of its own.

If you were in a Subaru, you were also slowly going up said hill. There is 100% nothing zippy in those things, especially in the mountains.
TravelAg2004
AG
How's the "on the road" situation with kids? The wife and I have been discussing doing this for a while now and we go back and forth between an RV with a tow-behind or a 5th wheel and truck.

My preference is the 5th wheel and truck, but she thinks the RV would be better as it's less confining for the kids and easier to travel with them. Things like not being stuck in the car for 10-12 hours and going to the bathroom and eating.
Yesterday
AG
TravelAg2004 said:

How's the "on the road" situation with kids? The wife and I have been discussing doing this for a while now and we go back and forth between an RV with a tow-behind or a 5th wheel and truck.

My preference is the 5th wheel and truck, but she thinks the RV would be better as it's less confining for the kids and easier to travel with them. Things like not being stuck in the car for 10-12 hours and going to the bathroom and eating.

I think every family has these same questions. Mind you I've never traveled in a class A,B,C so I can't speak from that experience. I can share what I've researched.

The advantage to a motor home is that you have a lot more space while driving. That's it. And sometimes that's not even that much considering the slides are in while traveling and the kids have to be in a seat belt anyhow. If someone has a motor home and would like to correct me, be my guest.

The kids on the road haven't been too bad. I have three under 6 so we broke the driving days into 4 hour stretches. 6 being the longest. Those 4 hour stretches turn into 6 and the 6 into 8 because we stop for lunch, to get out and see roadside attractions etc.

I like 5th wheels because you get a lot of space for the money. The kids have a bunk room and we have our own little room as well. And we just take the truck with us whenever we want to head into town or go explore or like today we just left the truck hooked up here in Gila Bend AZ cause we're just staying one night.

62strat
AG
Yesterday said:

TravelAg2004 said:

The advantage to a motor home is that you have a lot more space while driving. That's it. And sometimes that's not even that much considering the slides are in while traveling and the kids have to be in a seat belt anyhow. If someone has a motor home and would like to correct me, be my guest.

The kids on the road haven't been too bad. I have three under 6 so we broke the driving days into 4 hour stretches. 6 being the longest. Those 4 hour stretches turn into 6 and the 6 into 8 because we stop for lunch, to get out and see roadside attractions etc.

My parents have a class C and my wife recently traveled with them and our kids. She said the ride was horrible (EDIT TO ADD - she was not sitting in one of the front seats, she was on one of the recliners, which is 1 of 4 spots to sit that have a seatbelt). Said it basically feels like you're riding in a bus. This is 2019 Thor Chateau, so a relatively nice, new rig.

We would never get a driveable rig. It's just too much risk having that thing break down, and we like to get out and about and see things, and do excursions, so now you're talking about a huge rig plus pulling a vehicle. Much better in our opinion to have a dependable truck and pull what you want that stays put at a campsite.

Our kids are 4 and 5, and they travel like champs. We have done 14 hours straight to Houston from Denver, and last week did 12 hours straight to Branson and back two saturdays in a row. They watch movies, sleep, whatever. No complaining, usually 1 stop per 6-7 hours for restroom. We don't give them free access to liquids, that helps. Last summer my wife traveled with them over 3200 miles in the course of a month. No issues. They were only 3 and 4 at that time.

14ish hours is definitely about our limit. 8-10 hours is a nice sweet spot. Poster above.. 4 hour stretches? Man, that's not moving very much. We can do 4 hours in a blink of an eye. We did Moab in July, it was a bit over 5 hours coming home, and it seemed like a cake walk compared to our Houston trip.
cohibasymas
AG
We're in a gas a Class A and can only speak to our experience. The idea that while driving everyone is able to move around, use bathroom, make a sandwich, etc. Is largely a myth. Picture really bad turbulence on an airplane and trying to go pee or make food. Almost doesn't happen and frankly isn't safe. You'll spend a heck of a lot more time "parked" than driving.
TravelAg2004
AG
Thanks everyone for the feedback. That's kind of what I thought that it's more a dream than reality about how "kid friendly" RVs are.

We'll probably have to rent one just to confirm it with the wife, but there's lots of good info here.
Yesterday
AG
62strat said:

Yesterday said:

TravelAg2004 said:

My parents have a class C and my wife recently traveled with them and our kids. She said the ride was horrible. Said it basically feels like you're riding in a bus. This is 2019 Thor Chateau, so a relatively nice, new rig.

We would never get a driveable rig. It's just too much risk having that thing break down, and we like to get out and about and see things, and do excursions, so now you're talking about a huge rig plus pulling a vehicle. Much better in our opinion to have a dependable truck and pull what you want that stays put at a campsite.

Our kids are 4 and 5, and they travel like champs. We have done 14 hours straight to Houston from Denver, and last week did 12 hours straight to Branson and back two saturdays in a row. They watch movies, sleep, whatever. No complaining, usually 1 stop per 6-7 hours for restroom. We don't give them free access to liquids, that helps. Last summer my wife traveled with them over 3200 miles in the course of a month. No issues. They were only 3 and 4 at that time.

14ish hours is definitely about our limit. 8-10 hours is a nice sweet spot. Poster above.. 4 hour stretches? Man, that's not moving very much. We can do 4 hours in a blink of an eye. We did Moab in July, it was a bit over 5 hours coming home, and it seemed like a cake walk compared to our Houston trip.

Throw an 18 month old in with your four and five-year-old and see how many 8 or 9 hour stretches you can do. And if you can do that, then you win! You are a better man than me. Plus we like to get somewhere before dinner time, set up, eat dinner and go exploring etc.
62strat
AG
Yesterday said:

62strat said:

Yesterday said:

TravelAg2004 said:

My parents have a class C and my wife recently traveled with them and our kids. She said the ride was horrible. Said it basically feels like you're riding in a bus. This is 2019 Thor Chateau, so a relatively nice, new rig.

Throw an 18 month old in with your four and five-year-old
yeh, we intentionally did not do that hah. 2 is enough. both of ours were really good riders from a year old or so. We just got lucky I guess, or maybe forced it on them.
Yesterday
AG
62strat said:

Yesterday said:

62strat said:

Yesterday said:

TravelAg2004 said:

Throw an 18 month old in with your four and five-year-old
yeh, we intentionally did not do that hah. 2 is enough. both of ours were really good riders from a year old or so. We just got lucky I guess, or maybe forced it on them.

Touch h. 2 was enough for us as well. Failed vasectomy over here. (Confirmed by doc so no "who's the daddy jokes
62strat
AG
oh man that reminds me I really need to get in my post op sample... although it's been a year and the third one hasn't shown up yet!
Yesterday
AG
62strat said:

oh man that reminds me I really need to get in my post op sample... although it's been a year and the third one hasn't shown up yet!

Never went for my post op. Oops.
AgLA06
AG
I'll be the dissenting opinion on this. My inlaws had a 5th wheel and now a class c rv. We've used both regularly. More than they do by a wide margin. We have a 1 year old and a 5 year old. The class c is much easier to travel in with kids than the 5th wheel. Not even close.

It's a lot easier to contain kids at gas stop when no one has to leave the RV. We only stop for gas, but when we do everyone gets a snack and drink and uses our bathroom. The wife handles that with the girls while I pump diesel. The car seats fit easily in the dinette with the table removed and gives them their own space with each having a box of toys. The ride at the dinette is no different than the front.

Don't need a separate ice chest or cooler for the truck, just grab what you need from the fridge. You can use all the appliances while on the go without stopping (awesome fir coffee) by kicking on the generator. Dvds and TV through the main entertainment system. Kids get to crazy , they can get up and walk around for a bit to stretch their legs.

Only down fall is the same for any RV. You either have to tow a vehicle, unhook to drive, rent a vehicle, or only go places that are easily walkable. We tend to go places that are small enough to be walkable and plan our trip to drive places on days we have to change rv spots at the camp ground.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.