Mexico last week of July

5,461 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wcb
Gramercy Riffs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Checking in from Isla Mujeres. Same as my posts above. Very clean, safe, and fun.
LegalDrugPusher
Will be drinking much margaritas and cervesa in Cabo at the Westin come Friday.
Comeby!
AG
How were the flights? Not worried once we are there.
aggiejet
AG
Us too but in Riveria Maya starting Saturday. Long overdue & much needed vacation. Phone will stay in the safe & will never turn on the tv. Time to get away from all the BS going on around here.
wcb
AG
aggiejet said:

Us too but in Riveria Maya starting Saturday. Long overdue & much needed vacation. Phone will stay in the safe & will never turn on the tv. Time to get away from all the BS going on around here.
We're going with 3 other couples. My ground rules are that forbidden words / discussions include COVID and school.
aggiejet
AG
No doubt about that! We originally had almost a group of 50 (mostly family) going and celebrating several birthday's, but now it's just our group of 8 going. Others had to bow out for various reasons.

Where are y'all staying? We have 3 teens in our group, so we are at the family resort Azul Fives just north of Playa del Carmen....which we've been to several times before & love it.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Beach pics please ......
wcb
AG
One of my neighbors booked it - I think we're going to Breathless in Playa.
The Milkman
AG
August 3rd I'll be adding some pics from Grand Hyatt in Playa!

Sounds like Texags will be Mexags real soon
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Good man !!
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Comeby! said:

I've never seen the parking garage so empty. Ditto for check in, security, the gate, and customs.

The plane was fairly empty as well. Maybe 35-40 people on the flight. We were in row 2, and we were the only two people across six seats. Nobody sat in the third row. Two people in row 1, on the other side of the aisle. Masks for the entire flight, which wasn't bad at all (two hours). Bring your own hand sanitizer. Airports were incredibly clean. No worries at all.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Beach pics please ......

Public beaches in Isla are closed. The only people swimming got there via boat, which is legal, and the only people walking on the sand were police. The water is gorgeous. Resort beaches are good to go, so we went that route.

As for excursions - snorkeling, scuba, whale sharks, etc are all great right now because there's so few people there. Prices are reasonable. We booked a two-site trip and did the reef at the lighthouse (el farito) and the underwater museum for only $65.

We spent more time in town than we did at the resort (unlike the prior three days at Secrets, where we stayed on site the whole time). For those who don't mind waking up early, sunrise at Punta Sur was a highlight. Rent a golf cart one day and explore. We did our 24-hour rental from 2pm-2pm so it kinda felt like we got a second day out of it. There are plenty of options for food and drinks near Playa Norte and Hidalgo Street. Further south, I recommend Soggy Peso.

Overall, it was an outstanding trip. We didn't feel like we missed out on the beaches at all. There's still plenty to do there.
LegalDrugPusher
I'll post some pics from Cabo
CFTXAG10
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

Comeby! said:

I've never seen the parking garage so empty. Ditto for check in, security, the gate, and customs.

The plane was fairly empty as well. Maybe 35-40 people on the flight. We were in row 2, and we were the only two people across six seats. Nobody sat in the third row. Two people in row 1, on the other side of the aisle. Masks for the entire flight, which wasn't bad at all (two hours). Bring your own hand sanitizer. Airports were incredibly clean. No worries at all.
This travel experience sounds amazing! Sucks for the airlines, but great for travelers!
OrdAg89
AG
Enjoy, my passport finally arrived. Headed there tomorrow!
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Good man !!
aggiejet
AG
We have arrived at the resort in Riveria Maya. DFW was a ghost town (no lines at all) including the Admirals Club in Terminal D, & all seemed super clean. Cancun airport was a breeze too...no lines! Upon arrival at the resort, we were given hand sanitizer upon exiting the limo, & we were sprayed down as we walked thru a big metal detector looking device. They also sprayed our luggage with a leaf type blower. Masks were required on the plane except when eating or drinking. So far, everything seems super clean & safe. Ready for another cerveza!
texasaggie04
AG
Near the cancun area now. Definitely feel safer here than at home. Temp taken at restaurants, hand sanitizer, waitstaff who wear masks...

The immigration line was the funniest / saddest part. Mexican citizen line was standing six feet apart on the placards, wearing masks. Americans were all over the place, masks sometimes just covering chins.
wcb
AG
Leaving tomorrow. Can't get here soon enough.
The Milkman
AG
Been looking at the weather and seeing it had 50+% everyday. Is that the typical Caribbean 30 mins-hour of rain and then back to nice? Or is it real, consistent rain?
JMac03
AG
The Milkman said:

Been looking at the weather and seeing it had 50+% everyday. Is that the typical Caribbean 30 mins-hour of rain and then back to nice? Or is it real, consistent rain?
Every time we have ever seen rain, it is the short quick bursts. I am not sure I have ever been in Mexico or Jamaica where it rained all day. Even in Costa Rica it was short bursts for the most part.

*Except Cabo when a hurricane came through.
aggiejet
AG
We are just north of Playa & on Sunday it was a little unusual that it rained fairly hard 2 or 3 times for longer periods of time. Nothing yesterday or today though as weather has been gorgeous! The short bursts are definitely the norm.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
The Milkman said:

Last week the forecast showed thunderstorms and over 60% chance of rain every single day. We didn't get a drop of rain the entire trip. We laughed about it with the owner of one of the restaurants we went to, and he said the previous week was the same thing.

Of course it might rain, but don't let that forecast worry you one bit.
CFTXAG10
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

The Milkman said:

Last week the forecast showed thunderstorms and over 60% chance of rain every single day. We didn't get a drop of rain the entire trip. We laughed about it with the owner of one of the restaurants we went to, and he said the previous week was the same thing.

Of course it might rain, but don't let that forecast worry you one bit.
This has happened on a lot of our trips to Mexico. We get worried because of the forecast and then it either doesn't rain at all or it rains for like 10-15 minutes. Seems like a common occurrence. Only once did we have a longer storm interrupt our trip but luckily it was while at the airport waiting on our flight home. Nasty storm blew through for about an hour.
eiggA2002
AG
Great to hear! We are leaving for Playa on 8/8 with the family (40, 37, 5, 3 yo). My parents were going to go, but they are probably going to bail. We can't wait! We will be at the Royal Haciendas. Most. Needed. Vacation. Ever.
aggiejet
AG
eiggA2002 said:

Great to hear! We are leaving for Playa on 8/8 with the family (40, 37, 5, 3 yo). My parents were going to go, but they are probably going to bail. We can't wait! We will be at the Royal Haciendas. Most. Needed. Vacation. Ever.

For sure. We felt the same way! It's been awesome to get away, & Saturday will be here way too soon.
wcb
AG
Just landed back in DFW after 5 days in Cancun. Plane was packed (literally full) both ways. Mexico was awesome as always. Crazy clean and empty. Pretty much everyone was super friendly and just trying to take a mental break from COVID. One 30 minute rain shower in 5 days. Overall great trip.

They were offering $300 vouchers + overnight lodging to fly tomorrow. If it weren't for the kids...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.