Mexico last week of July

5,467 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wcb
wcb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Taking an informal poll - open or closed? Last time things blew up (spring break) it took close to three months to recover. My guess is that by mid July we're back in full quarantine. Not trying to be a downer, just trying to figure out how to tell my wife Cancun is likely not happening.

Hope I'm wrong.
JMac03
AG
I'm so on the fence about this. It is open right now. Resorts (that are open) are at very low capacity. I don't know that we will go back to a complete shutdown, but I am also not sure I wouldn't see something like people not allowed coming from hotspots (which Tx is right now). It is so hard to predict what is going to be happening in a week much less than a month from now.

3 days ago I canceled a family going to Hawaii - and now they say they are opening up 8/1. But realistically anything could happen between now and then. Heck TAMU was supposed to go to 100% occupancy if depts wanted 7/1 and that has been revoked.

So short answer is I wish we had a crystal ball.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
I canceled our mid July Belize trip a while back and basically I'm not planning anything right now for this Summer and even the Fall. It sucks but all the "should we go or no go or possible flight cancellations, refunds, are they opened or closed" was wearing me out. Just adding on to all the Covid crap we are dealing with it wasn't worth it. I rescheduled for next summer and if things change this fall I'll probably take a long weekend somewhere. I'm sleeping better.
aggiejet
AG
Open. We are heading to Azul Fives just north of Playa del Carmen on July 25th for a week. 8 of us total, and the resort is open at 30% levels for now, with new procedures in place. And masks are not required for guests. We've had to cancel a couple of other trips already this year, so we are all in for this unless something crazy happens by then. Need a break from the craziness going on all around us. Hope things work out for all of us!
JimmyHouston
AG
My wife and another couple are gung ho abt going the last week in July. I think its going to be a **** show and would rather just wait...I think I know how this is going to end.
JimmyHouston
AG
Interesting to note though...the resort we are looking to book will allow change of dates or cancellations up to 24hrs prior to arrival. However any deposit or amount paid must be used as a credit within 6 months of cancellation.
aggiejet
AG
Curious if you'd elaborate on your ****show comment?
JimmyHouston
AG
aggiejet said:

Yeah - sorry, probably not the best thing to say. I think it is just more of a month of should we go or should we not go. Is everything open or not. Lately when we have cleared customs in Cancun it has been long lines - will that get worked out with COVID19 procedures in place? How goes the temperature scanning go in Mexico, etc. I do think once you get to the resort it will be amazing and better than ever before due to reduced capacity. Its just the hassle of getting there that I personally want to avoid.

I travel a lot for my job and mostly internationally but I havent done any since January. A part of me just doesnt want to deal with it all while in-transit. That was my reason for the **** show comment.
aggiejet
AG
No problem at all. Just wasn't sure what you might be referring to and wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I/we had missed in our research. From what we've seen/read/heard, the airport is actually still fairly light right now, and customs wasn't that bad. We will keep monitoring things & can still back out fairly late as well if needed, but hopefully we will still get to go. Good luck!
wcb
AG
aggiejet said:

Drove to CO to ski spring break. The night we arrive they close all skiing in the state.

Welcome to the show.
aggiejet
AG
Ouch.... that sux. Yeah, we are excited to go but will certainly keep monitoring things over the next 4 weeks.
Post removed:
by user
wcb
AG
Yeah...thx for rubbing it in.
MemorialTXAg
culdeus
AG
If Cancun is similar to Florida they will have the resorts at capacity by the end of July.

People are dying to go to a beach and get hammered.
MemorialTXAg
LegalDrugPusher
Going to Cabo July 24-30
culdeus
AG
No Pressure said:

culdeus said:

If Cancun is similar to Florida they will have the resorts at capacity by the end of July.

People are dying to go to a beach and get hammered.

I would agree but when you look at scheduled routes there just isn't that much in plans for now. Unless everyone decides to take a last minute vacation and airlines add dozens of flights this isn't happening in July.

Yeah. I figured aa would kill for that revenue but so far the flights just aren't being added.
wcb
AG
Two weeks out - anyone been lately? What's the latest?

At this point it's looking like it's a go!
suburban cowboy
AG
I'm in Mexico right now. Haven't worn a mask for a single second the entirety of the trip (including both US and Mexico airports).

All resort employees have masks and sanitize all high-traffic areas frequently. There are temperature checkpoints at the airport and at the resort entrance. There are 47 total guests at the five-star resort I'm staying at and service has been fantastic. Life is good here.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Which resort?
LegalDrugPusher
My wife and I will be at The Westin in Cabo come Friday
aggiejet
AG
We are still 100% a go for Azul Fives & leave one week from today! We have gathered as much data & opinions as possible & we've been thinking long & hard about it. Have also been monitoring several FB group pages with people that just went or that are there now, & the consensus seems to be the resorts are very safe, not crowded, have new sanitation policies in place, & the airport is virtually empty. The northern part of the state of QR is still orange, so the resorts are limited to 30% capacity currently, which helps also. We will be staying at the resort & not going anywhere else though, which is totally fine. Plus, if I don't get AWAY from all the BS going on here in Tx, I may end up in a funny farm. Will continue to monitor things over the next week though.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I'm here right now, and I'm blown away by how clean/safe this area is. My office back home is much more dangerous than either airport or this resort. If you're considering traveling soon, just do it.
aggiejet
AG
Awesome, sounds good. Which resort are you visiting?
suburban cowboy
AG
Andaz Mayakoba
Gramercy Riffs
AG
aggiejet said:

Awesome, sounds good. Which resort are you visiting?

I'm at Secrets Playa Mujeres until tomorrow, then I'll be at Zoetry Isla Mujeres until Thursday.

There are hand sanitizing stations every 100 feet and in front of every doorway. They squeeze more sanitizer onto your hands at the table as they're wiping it down in front of you. Napkins and silverware are double wrapped, and they slide the inner wrap out of the outer wrap using tongs. Every employee wears a mask. They wipe down the golf cart shuttles before you sit down and after you get up. Remotes, in-room menus (iPads), etc are all covered in plastic and sanitized. Housekeeping is here THREE times per day. The resorts are at 30% capacity. It's possible to completely avoid other people altogether. Plenty of empty tables/chairs and lots of room to spread out. Our room has a private pool as well, so we've spent a lot of time there, but I'm very comfortable walking around and sitting at restaurants.

My HR director tried to make us self quarantine when we get back. I'll be able to tell her with 100% sincerity that our office break room is 100 times more dangerous than anything I've encountered at the Cancun airport, our transportation, or this resort. The Cancun airport was cleaner than Austin. And my goodness, security was a breeze at both locations!

These folks are very serious about safety, they're incredibly friendly, and they want/need your business. I'd encourage anyone who is on the fence about international travel right now to pull the trigger. Other than my already-insane sunburn, this is the perfect time to go.

williet09
How was the seaweed along the beaches? We are planning to be at Atelier Playa Mujeres in August.
Comeby!
AG
Thinking of jumping on a plane to Pedregal or FA Cabo next week. We have been looking at driving the Florida panhandle but it seems to me if be safer in Mexico (and flight terminals) than a driving trip to Florida. Our family will think we are nuts.
sincereag
I love the Atelier and I've been there three times. The ocean is usually pretty clear of seaweed in Playa Mujeres all year round. Enjoy your vacation!
Gramercy Riffs
AG
williet09 said:

How was the seaweed along the beaches? We are planning to be at Atelier Playa Mujeres in August.

There's a thin layer of it washed up - maybe a few feet wide, tops. Not bad at all. I was just south of here in Playa de Secreto exactly one year ago and the seaweed was much worse. It's a non-issue this year at Playa Mujeres.
CFTXAG10
AG
I am headed to Cancun at the end of August for our annual trip. Happy to hear things are going well so far on their re-opening. Hope the trend continues.
The Milkman
AG
The current restrictions on non-essential travel to Mexico are just for the land border right? Flights in are not held to the same restrictions?
aggiejet
AG
Yes sir!
JMac03
AG
I have clients in Puerto Vallarta right now and they are thrilled. Another Texager arrived in Cancun yesterday at Unico and I assume all is well as I haven't heard anything negative back. From what I am seeing, airlines, airports and hotels are doing a great job of sanitation.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.