Jackson Hole in Fall

3,017 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agdaddy04
Bluecat_Aggie94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking at Jackson Hole in late September for a trip for my dad's 80th.

When I asked him what kind of vacation he would want, he said "I'd like a nice view and a comfortable chair." We have settled on Jackson Hole as our destination.

I could use some feedback on the right location. Curiously, the VRBO's ALL seem to have spectacular views, and the view is the same from every angle. I'm dubious.

View and scenery is the highest criteria. Proximity to "stuff to do" is secondary, but not unimportant. We do not want to stay in town, and probably not at the ski slope but could be swayed on that one.

Would appreciate your suggestions and insights on where to go. Budget would be $350-$500 per night for 5 adults.
nosoupforyou
AG
we stayed here - in Wilson which is outside of town and away from the slopes.. that area is what you want, but not sure if these cabins are exactly what you want but worth considering
but - they are not Teton views - had to drive out to Mormon Row area for that..

https://www.firesidejacksonhole.com/

Scotts Tot
AG
Jackson Hole is great, and the Teton view is hard to beat, but if you're open to suggestions I would also consider Paradise Valley, between Livingston and Yellowstone NP in Montana. The view there isn't quite the Tetons, but still gorgeous. It's surrounded by beautiful mountains on all sides and probably has a better availability of cabins/houses. I would figure you could also get a little more for your money, but not positive, as I've never compared.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I'll look into it. Where would you fly into for that?

I'm actually really pleased with the availability and value of the rentals in and around Jackson Hole.

I'm looking at places north of town, and even across the boarder in Idaho. I'm finding beautiful 3 bedroom condos for $450-500 a night.
Scotts Tot
AG
Yea that's not too bad.

To access Paradise Valley you would fly into Bozeman, which has direct flights from DFW and Houston now.
Bachelor99
AG
i have never stayed at this place but have heard good things and i think it fits your criteria....

https://www.springcreekranch.com/
jammer262
If staying in town isn't a priority, then I would look at Wilson or over the pass into Idaho. You will save a ton of money.
FarmerJohn
AG
We stayed at Tail Creek Ranch in Wilson a few September's ago. The cabins overlook an open meadow. A beautiful location but not with the dramatic Teton views. But better mountains than Idaho. You will pay for those Teton views. The problem with Idaho is that on the Idaho side it seems to slope up more gently than from the Wyoming side. Just my impression.
Ulrich
Seeing the sun rise over the Tetons from the Idaho is amazing. I stayed in Driggs and just drove 45 minutes in to Jackson Hole a couple times. Rent a car with a decent engine though, the little econobox I had struggled going up through the pass.
FancyKetchup14
AG
In Jackson, Snake River Brewing. Some of the best beers I've had.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I've decided on two possible places. One is in Driggs, ID, and one is in Moran, WY.

Anybody know the area well enough to lean me one way over the other?
johnrth
Moran is at the south entrance of Yellowstone if y'all wanted to jump in the park for some fall colors. Moran is 30ish mins to Jackson probably and driggs is about an hr. If y'all wanted to go into town. And to be honest I'm not sure how much lodging is in Moran as I've never looked for lodging there.

I haven't been to driggs but only a couple of short day trips years ago when I've gone to Jackson so I don't know what they have to offer. Jackson has a lot and I'd venture to guess the views in Moran are better than driggs. And being that it's at the south entrance of Yellowstone wildlife viewing may be better as well.
Ulrich
I liked Driggs. There's not much to do in the town, although it is nice that you can walk anywhere, there's a little museum, and some restaurants that I enjoyed. Mostly it's a good place to stay near Jackson Hole cheap and access all the hiking and such in the area.
dcAg
Did this last September. We stayed in Teton Village at the foot of Jackson Hole. It was nice but it was almost like being too close to the mountain. Also it is far enough from Jackson that it was kind of a pain to go back and forth. Great time but really think about what you want to do while you are there.
OilManAg91
AG
Any decision on where to stay? The Old Faithful Inn and Lake Yellowstone lodge is also great and may be open in Sept. but that is more of a Yellowstone trip than a Teton trip.
AggieZUUL
AG
nosoupforyou said:

we stayed here - in Wilson which is outside of town and away from the slopes.. that area is what you want, but not sure if these cabins are exactly what you want but worth considering
but - they are not Teton views - had to drive out to Mormon Row area for that..

https://www.firesidejacksonhole.com/

I loved these modular cabins.
wangus12
AG
Wife booked some place in Jackson for Labor Day weekend. I'm sure I don't want to know how much it is
StEdsCOOG
wangus12 said:

Wife booked some place in Jackson for Labor Day weekend. I'm sure I don't want to know how much it is
I'll be there that Thursday to Tuesday. You don't want to know.
aggie orbitalwelder
We plan on being there the third week of September for four days. For those that have been there in September what would the weather be like ?
OilManAg91
AG
Perfect time to be there. Nice fall weather to near freezing in the morning depending on elevation and if a front moves through. Trees changing colors. Elk bugling. No crowds. But be prepared for occasional snow.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I decided on the VRBO in Moran. Sure hoping the trip remains a go.
AggieZUUL
AG
Jackson Hole is amazing.
An Ag in CO
AG
We've been going every summer for a few years now and will be headed there in a few weeks. We always stay in Teton Village. We went into Jackson when the in-laws were there many years ago, but otherwise we stay in Teton Village and it makes hiking through GTNP really easy. Can take the tram up to Rendevouz Mt and then the hike possibilities down and back to Teton Village are fantastic so no need to drive anywhere. Hiking down through the canyons (Granite, Death) is always amazing. If we fly up we drive through Jackson on our way to Teton Village and nobody has expressed a desire to actually stop or go back there during our trips. But we're hard-core hikers and really like cutting down the amount of driving needed to get to the trailheads and Teton Village is great for that purpose.
atag
AG
We loved driggs....my husband and I have said if we win the lotto and could move anywhere it would probably be to driggs. Small town with a great little grocery store and great eateries with phenomenal customer service. There is a pizza joint there thats on a 2nd floor and I can't remember the damned name but I swear its the best pizza in my life. The town had a very hipstery vibe....pretty much every restaurant had a vegan menu lol. We loved it. We weren't as impressed with jackson hole as we were with driggs.

proudest member of the fightin texas aggie class of 2005.
agdaddy04
AG
That's why we were planning to go there earlier this summer but decided to postpone that trip.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.