May 2020 snapshot of US Domestic air travel

1,881 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FbgTxAg
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last week, I had to make a last minute quick trip from LA to Miami for a work thing. Here's what my experience was like.

I bought the nonstop round trip ticket on American Airlines about 2 days before I traveled for about $450.

The drive to LAX was a piece of cake. There was no traffic at the airport. LAX looked like a ghost town. The passenger drop off would normally be 3 lanes of traffic deep.

These screens show ALL of the departures and arrivals for the entire day for American Airlines. Normally this would be 4 pages of arrivals and 4 pages of departures.

The flight was lightly packed. Maybe 50% full. I got a kick out of the fact that the only magazines they have on board now is the Spanish/Portuguese language - "Nexos".

Miami was just as dead as LAX

On arrival, everybody forgot about the Covids and it was a regular free-for all getting off the plane.

I've never seen an airport Starbucks closed before. That shows how severe the travel situation is.

Miami Airport encouraging social distancing, you can create your own caption.

The airline situation is bad but the rental car situation is worse. Here, Hertz has cars available and no customers. I rented from National who had a ton of cars in stock but you could only rent from about 20 cars that they had prepped.

Headed back to LAX from MIA, there were at least 5 people on the plane wearing clean room bunny suits. The flight from MIA - LAX was packed. I'd say it was about 95% full.

Again, a free for all on arrival at LAX. Even these two old ladies wearing full face shields.

They did have beverage service and they handed out snacks during both flights.
But, they stated that they wouldn't and then they did.
That flight is 5 1/2 hours long so, you do need some water.

I recommend planning to be locked in your seat for the whole flight and being self-sufficient with respect to water and snacks.

I'm flying next week on United so I'll compare and contrast that one when I get there.
Jock 07
AG
Interesting I was looking at flights on United LAX-IAH and tickets were $600+ unless you wanted to take the red eye.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Did you laugh at Hazmat suit folks?
Jock 07
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Holy **** how'd I miss that on first glance? They damn well gonna make sure they don't catch any of that **** from any of the unwashed masses in coach
pattybrhg
TSA_Lisa is a good Twitter follow to see just where the daily number of travelers is right now. I think AA has limited service for travel of more than 3-4 hours though. They definitely don't do service right now on shorter flights.
Jock 07
AG
Do you know if the centurion and/or United club at LAX is open right now?
Matsui
The Milkman
AG
Went round trip Baltimore to Houston last weekend on Southwest. Each flight was as full as Southwest is apparently allowing them (approximately 65%ish) as they arent allowing people in middle seats unless its a family sitting together.

We got cans of water and snacks handed out both times. No major problems, idiots on the plane, or hiccups. Boarding 10 at a time instead of 30 at a time wasn't really a noticeable difference except that it allowed you to just walk freely down the jetway and straight onto the plane instead of being backed up waiting on those ahead of you.

The flight attendant told us that he was happy to see that most of the flights he's done in the last week or so have been about that full, but as recently as two weeks ago they were frequently taking off with less than 5 people on board.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Jock 07 said:

Do you know if the centurion and/or United club at LAX is open right now?
I don't know. I'm flying United next week. I'll check back then.
TXTransplant
At Bush right now (8 am on a Saturday morning).

Only terminal C is open. List of departing flights isn't even two and a half screens.

There are more people here than I expected. Most are wearing masks. Saw a couple of face shields. No hazmat suits. There is one guy in a face shield and rain poncho.

Only international flights are to Mexico (Guadalajara, Leon, Mexico City, and Monterrey) and Puerto Rico (San Juan, but it has one stop). There is one flight to St Thomas.

You can park in the garage for $5/day.

My son is the one flying. He's 15, so I opted to let him go to the gate by himself. He's done this dozens of times, so he knows the drill.

62strat
AG
Flew iah to den today. Was the only car in iah passenger drop off at 5:45pm... and only C terminal is open for security/check in so every passenger must get dropped off there.

Only one united club open in iah in E, and it closed at 6:30pm.

I made it from drop off, handed over a checked bag, Through security, took tram from C to E, and into united club in about 12-14 minutes.

This is DEN, around 8:30pm.

Literally not a single person in the terminal area (B) when my plane emptied. Arrival board had about 10 flights.

I was in first class and got a sealed snack box and wine or beer. No liquor. Plane was about 1/2 full, maybe less.

We boarded the plane from back to front a few rows at a time. It went pretty fast really. Then deplaned front to back.

I get to baggage claim and check Uber prices. $120 from airport to Parker!! Usually only maybe $40-50. It said it's unusually busy in this area right now. Uhhh... wtf? No it's not.

So I check Lyft and it has nothing; said it wasn't picking up at that location right now. I was like wtf!

So I am basically forced to take the rail. It's free but not going into downtown due to riots. Luckily I transfer a few stops out of airport and get down south on another line. Lyft home from there says it's about $10, so normal. (~4-5 miles)

So a few hiccups getting home, but nothing crazy.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Wow. Thanks for the info. I've never seen security at DIA with nobody there.
Also didn't realize Denver was going off on the riot scene. But, I'll save those comments for Forum 16.
AgCPA95
AG
Jock 07 said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

Holy **** how'd I miss that on first glance? They damn well gonna make sure they don't catch any of that **** from any of the unwashed masses in coach
I would have had a hard time containing myself if I saw that.
FbgTxAg
AG
Thanks Hollywood!
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.