Salt Lake City - Deer Valley

1,943 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Austintm
BrokeAssAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Considering a trip later July. Any recommendations things to do, places to eat? Will be 3 couples in our 40s
AgLA06
AG
Research like you'll be in Park City, because you basically are.

Must do's for Adults
https://www.highwest.com/
You had to make a reservation when we went, but it was a great lunch on a beautiful patio. Never did the tour, but essentially had the place to ourselves and personal attention from the employees including tastings.

Olympic training facility.
https://www.visitparkcity.com/blog/post/enjoy-a-family-friendly-adrenaline-filled-day-at-utah-olympic-park/
Neat to see for both kids and adults. We had a blast watching them practice the big air jumps into the pool.

The Sunday Market was really great. Essentially most of main street plus entertainment, food, and booze.

FrontPorchAg
Well since you are crazy rich. The St Regis does a wine sabering every day at sunset on the deck. You should also look for a fly fishing guide in the area. The Stien Erickson lodge is nice. If you are into mountain biking their is a fair bit to do in the area.

AgLa, kind of already hit the highlights. As someone who worked for the Stern family for two years, Deer Valley is kind of overrated. I recommend the other side of the range.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
SkiMo
AG
Deer Valley is more of a resort without a lot of life while Park City has all the bars/restaurants/shops. Deer Valley usually has summer concerts (big names) at their amphitheater but they've all been canceled for this summer season. If the bars are open you definitely need to drop into No Name Saloon. Classic Park City bar.

If you have a car, take a drive over Guardsman Pass into Big Cottonwood Canyon. You'll plop down into Brighton Ski Resort area if you go left...and Solitude if you go right. I would go to Brighton and take a hike up to Lake Mary. Ask anyone around where the path is...most will know.

I second the High West Distillery visit...and do their brunch. Looks like they have a new release on Sunday July 21st of Valley Tan Whiskey.

I also second the Olympic Park. Especially if you have kids. You'll get to see all sort of memorabilia on the 2nd floor. Also, there are zip lines and coasters and if you wanna shell out some big cash you can even go on the bobsled with a professional. They also have people out there practicing their ski jumps into the pool that you can watch.

A couple of drives that I frequent in the summer around the area:

- Head toward Kamas and keep driving up 150. A beautiful drive and I usually stop at Mirror Lake and walk around the lake then head back home. Lots of places to stop on the way and way back for pictures and what not.
- Head toward Heber City then take a right on 189 until you see signs for Sundance. Take a right on 92 and stop off at Sundance and walk around. The views of Mt. Timpanogos are amazing. There is a cool bar/restaurant at the base as well. I would highly recommend keeping on cruising up 92 which is the Alpine Loop only open in Summer. Beautiful drive. You can either turnaround and go back when you're done or continue on to the interstate and head north back up through Salt Lake then east back to Park City. A long day but I do it a few times in the summer.
Legend
AG
Agree on High West.
Agree on Olympic park. When we went, you could buy discount tickets online through Costco.
If you want to ride road bikes/cruisers (instead of mountain/trial bikes) there are some good bike paths that take you out side of Park City. Good ride with kids. Several bike rental shops in town and they can direct you to the trail routes.

The other lodging option is the Canyons. The Waldorf is really nice. Some of the units have full kitchens and multiple bedrooms. There are some other less expensive options in the Canyons too. Park City is definitely where you will end up going for dinners, etc. Both Deer Valley and Canyons normally have shuttle service to Park City, which are like 10 minutes away.

ryanhnc10
AG
I'll add that Deer Creek Reservoir is really nice if you are interested in boating.
BrokeAssAggie
Any recs for water rafting? Looking for a class III trip
Austintm
We stayed there for a few days last Summer, at the above-mentioned St. Regis. The outdoor bar area has a great view and is worth heading to just for that, and the champagne sabrage is fun. Oh bar drinks in Utah are incredibly weak. They are limited to 1 1/2 oz per drink and have electronic regulators. Beer on tap is 3.2 only; bottles do not have a content cap. Find a liquor store on the way.

Places to eat: Riverhorse, Firewood and Chimayo were all very good.

Lots of good hiking. If you are a golfer, play the Canyon Course at Promontory, which is a Pete Dye design.
The Lost
Thanks for these updates, we're going in August for our honeymoon since hawaii got cancelled and we cant drive.
TxAg20
AG
Austintm said:

I agree with these, in that order. Stop by High West for a drink before or after.
BrokeAssAggie
Austintm said:

We stayed there for a few days last Summer, at the above-mentioned St. Regis. The outdoor bar area has a great view and is worth heading to just for that, and the champagne sabrage is fun. Oh bar drinks in Utah are incredibly weak. They are limited to 1 1/2 oz per drink and have electronic regulators. Beer on tap is 3.2 only; bottles do not have a content cap. Find a liquor store on the way.

Lots of good hiking. If you are a golfer, play the Canyon Course at Promontory, which is a Pete Dye design.

We are staying at St. Regis as well. How's the restaurant there m? RIME
Austintm
CrazyRichAggie said:

Austintm said:

We are staying at St. Regis as well. How's the restaurant there m? RIME
It was fine. Stayed 4 nights. Did not eat dinner there just had some breakfast as and lunch (both good) and did the other lunches and dinners downtown. They do have a dood wine selection. Ask for Sam at the bar.
They have shuttles that will take you downtown and pick you up. They also have Uber.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.