Best travel credit card

1,726 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by themissinglink
atag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am in the market for a new credit card. I really want something that gives the best airline miles. Preferably something low hassle. I looked at the united card because we do fly united a lot. Traveling is our greatest joy. Any thoughts or recommendations? I have researched but would love some real world recommendations.
proudest member of the fightin texas aggie class of 2005.
TexAgs1992
atag said:

I am in the market for a new credit card. I really want something that gives the best airline miles. Preferably something low hassle. I looked at the united card because we do fly united a lot. Traveling is our greatest joy. Any thoughts or recommendations? I have researched but would love some real world recommendations.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Card. Far better and more opportunities than any United card.
lil99chris
AG
Checked bags and priority boarding are good reasons for the United card.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/why-someone-in-your-family-needs-to-have-a-united-credit-card/

I enjoy the Chase Sapphire Preferred. It allows you to utilize different travel partners and it is easier to obtain bonus points.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/reasons-to-get-chase-sapphire-preferred/

If there is a particular hotel chain you navigate towards, I would take a look. You can obtain some nice upgrades and free stays if you use it as a primary card.
BrokeAssAggie
I still like the Amex Platinum. If you use the Uber Credits, annual airline fee and Saks credit that pretty much covers your annual fee.

Annual Uber credits of up to $200 (Can use with Uber eats too)

5 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent on airfare booked directly with airlines or through Amex Travel

5 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent on prepaid hotel bookings through Amex Travel

Annual airline-fee credit of up to $200

Airport lounge access, including Centurion Lounges

Elite status with Marriott and Hilton

Car rental program elite status

Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee credit (up to $100) every 4 to 4.5 years

Annual statement credits of up to $100 at Saks Fifth

Avenue ($50 credit January to June; $50 credit July to December
The Lost
What's your definition of fly United a lot? Weekly, monthly, quarterly? Do you ever fly anyone else?

The infinite card is great if you do truly fly a lot, 4x United miles for purchases with them is excellent and you'd use the club, but that "a lot" needs to be monthly at worst, probably even more. Otherwise I'd probably go one of the chase/Amex cards. Gives you way more flexibility.
Seven Costanza
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

I still like the Amex Platinum. If you use the Uber Credits, annual airline fee and Saks credit that pretty much covers your annual fee.

Annual Uber credits of up to $200 (Can use with Uber eats too)

5 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent on airfare booked directly with airlines or through Amex Travel

5 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent on prepaid hotel bookings through Amex Travel

Annual airline-fee credit of up to $200

Airport lounge access, including Centurion Lounges

Elite status with Marriott and Hilton

Car rental program elite status

Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee credit (up to $100) every 4 to 4.5 years

Annual statement credits of up to $100 at Saks Fifth

Avenue ($50 credit January to June; $50 credit July to December
Also $20 off pretty much any streaming service and $20 off cell phone service right now.
BrokeAssAggie
Nice. I didn't even realize they added that
IrishTxAggie
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

Nice. I didn't even realize they added that
They added it during the COVID and runs through the end of the year due to the inability to likely use the travel credit.
TXTransplant
I'll throw in a vote for the Capital One Venture card. 2 points for every $1 spent. Use points to "erase" your travel purchases. Can get up to 2% back, if you use the points correctly.

I also have the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I used it to book a bunch of flights for our now cancelled trip to Alaska. I've since gone back to using the Venture card as my primary.

Cap One just makes it too easy to redeem points. The Chase card offers some good flight deals, but you still have to stay on top of your search, as prices/point values constantly fluctuate.
BrokeAssAggie
Wow, isn't that thoughtful.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I had a good experience when I used the Venture plan described above because you really could use your points on anything.

That being said, about three years ago, I shifted everything to a hotel card. I chose Marriott, because it's where I stay most often. I can't comment on how it compares to other hotel cards. I can say, however, that I feel like I earn hotel rewards at a MUCH faster pace and realize a lot more benefits than I ever did with airlines.

I don't travel for a living. I'd say I travel moderately for work, probably 7-8 trips a year, so far less than some. But since I switched to hotel rewards instead of air, I haven't paid for a personal hotel room for my family in 3 years. I also get upgraded to a better room about 50% of the time at no cost or points used.

That compares to airline rewards, which it seems like I might earn a free flight every 18 months or so, and don't fly enough that I ever get upgraded.

arrow
AG
Best: Chase Sapphire Reserve
Lowest Hassle: Capital One Venture

I use both. My Capital One card is grandfathered in with no annual fee. It doesn't get must easier than purchase eraser.
themissinglink
AG
For those with the chase sapphire reserve or preferred, you can redeem points at 1.5x/1.25x on groceries/dining/home improvements using their new "pay me back" redemption feature through September 30. Great way to redeem points at a good value with limited travel opportunities.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.