Last Minute Camping Trip

1,135 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgRyan04
Premium
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Basically looking to hit the road tomorrow if any trip makes sense.

Have a 5 and 7 yo girl, and we are not "expert" campers. Basically looking to pop open a tent not far from vehicle with air mattresses.

Leaving from Houston, I was thinking Colorado because of cooler temps. Considering availability, distance, ease of camping, interesting views, and of course COVID policies of the State.

Where would you suggest?
CanyonAg77
AG
I suggest reservations, because almost everything is closed. I don't think you can camp in Texas State Parks yet. And even if everything is open, it's freaking Memorial Day Weekend, after a long period of everyone being confined to their homes.

Everybody and their dog is going to be out this weekend.

And unless you're taking a week or more, driving from Houston to Colorado is a heck of a beat down.
CanyonAg77
AG
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/park-information/keeping-you-healthy

Quote:

Expect some changes
Many parks are open, but you'll notice some changes.
  • You must reserve and print day passes before you arrive for day visits, even if you have a park pass. You can also call the Customer Service Center at (512) 389-8900. If you don't have a printer, you may show park staff the confirmation email on your phone. Parks will not conduct any transactions on-site.
  • Most parks are open for limited camping.
  • All park headquarters, visitor centers, park stores and group sites (halls, campsites, etc.) are closed.
  • We have cancelled all in-person events and equipment rentals and loans.
  • We have increased our cleaning efforts.

CanyonAg77
AG
http://wwwapps.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD/ParksReportingPublicDisplay/Closure/Index

New Mexico closure list
CanyonAg77
AG
Colorado info

https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/COVID-19-Response.aspx
Premium
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I suggest reservations, because almost everything is closed. I don't think you can camp in Texas State Parks yet. And even if everything is open, it's freaking Memorial Day Weekend, after a long period of everyone being confined to their homes.

Everybody and their dog is going to be out this weekend.

And unless you're taking a week or more, driving from Houston to Colorado is a heck of a beat down.

I was thinking about working a bit at night if needed and just taking a long slow vacation. I'm never really on vacation running the business, but I can take it easier if needed.

We could probably get away for a week or two on the road.
CanyonAg77
AG
Well, good luck to you. I suspect this weekend will be brutal, but it may improve after Monday.

Red River NM is a great family area

Durango/Silverton/Lake City is a beautiful area

Looks like next week will be cool in the Texas Panhandle, so likely the Pecos/Santa Fe area will be nice.

Chama NM has some since areas

You might check weather forecasts and travel distances to Arkansas. Some pretty areas in the Ozarks.

If you decide on a destination, I might be able to chime in on route/stops.
Premium
AG
Thinking about something a little different. What about flying into SLC and then renting an RV to do the Yellowstone area. Rent something small like this for two weeks:

https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/salt-lake-city_ut/2016_itasca_navion_113824-listing?from=2020-06-26&to=2020-07-10

Could we do this kind of trip without reservations? I've never rented anything like this, but I figured we could sleep in it without having to have "hook ups", especially with nice weather in June / July. I just don't want to be blocked from getting a good overall experience, since I've heard how busy Yellowstone can be - didn't want to be blocked out or have to drive way too far each day from outside of the park, if that was a thing.
AgRyan04
Dry camping in an RV for two weeks is doable but you're going to need to find someplace that will allow you to dump your tanks. I don't know the specs on that specific rig but with a family of four I'm guessing that you're going to fill the gray tank and black tank multiple times.

Keep in mind that if you're dry camping and leave in the rig to go explore, you're going to also be hunting for a new site every afternoon/evening.

If you're talking specifically about just camping in an RV in Yellowstone, you're still going to need a campsite. You're not allowed to just pull off the road and set up camp. They do have some campgrounds that are first come first serve (no reservations) but you'd need to check to see if they're open.

You may be able to find some BLM land outside the park where you can camp for free but Yellowstone is MASSIVE so expect lots of windshield time inside the park. They also haven't opened all of the entrances yet so you'll want to check on that as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.