Alaska in August

2,311 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BSD
The Pilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have any insight into the situation there?

Wife and I have been before and would likely involve some hiking, fishing. Last time we visited we did Anchorage, Homer, Seward. We'd likely do Denali this time but I want to do some Halibut/Salmon fishing too.
BSD
AG
Watching. I'd be down to go there since I'm cancelling my Hawaii trip.
TXTransplant
I'm watching it closely since we have a trip scheduled for mid-July (that was rescheduled from late-May/early-June).

There is still a 14 day quarantine and travel to/from different cities is limited. Although, I've read local authorities are choosing not to enforce any of this.

The biggest issue, though, is it has not been announced when all the national parks will fully open back up. Denali is partially open, but part of our trip include a stay at Denali Backcountry Lodge. It is supposed to open on early-July, but if the park is not open, you won't be able to get to it.

I've read stories of other cities wanting to shut down their entire 2020 tourism season (by doing things like not offering permits or tours to do activities like fishing).

Part of the issue is a lack of coordination among different entities. For example, the state doesn't determine when the national parks open.

FWIW, even though I have a trip booked for mid-July, I have not rebooked flights. I'm sitting on credits. Even if our trip still proceeds (odds aren't it won't, but hypothetically), I'm concerned we won't be able to get there/get home. I just don't trust the flight schedule.

I believe all cruises for this summer have already been cancelled, so that alone will greatly reduce the number of tourists.

jetescamilla
AG
Just yesterday the governor extended our mandatory interstate 14 day travel quarantine to June 2. For the best up to date travel information check the state of Alaska HSS covid mandate website as well as the State of Alaska DHSS Facebook page.

In addition to State, some cities/ communities have their own restrictions as well and you want to check each municipal website which will may have information that supersedes the State mandates.

I live in Juneau and have a vacation rental and have had to cancel all may and June bookings out of precaution. Im not taking any others as of now for the rest of the summer until something definitive is given. Our travel restriction mandate had been extended 3 times already.

I'll be traveling for work to Anchorage at the end of the month and can assess there if anyone would like more info.

https://covid19.alaska.gov/health-mandates/

https://m.facebook.com/alaska.dhss/

It's important to note that Alaska does not have near the medical capabilities as the rest of the US. The "major" hospitals in Anchorage, Fairbanks, And Juneau are level 2, 3 and 3, we do not have a level 1 hospital in state or have near the capacity to deal with an outbreak which is why our State is so serious about quarantine. Yes, as a poster said above as of now I haven't heard of enforcement of the mandatory quarantine but I urge all of you to please follow the rules.
TXTransplant
Thanks for the info. We are booked on a National Geographic trip. That extension of the quarantine to June 2 will probably kill our trip. Nat Geo is trying to give six weeks notice when it comes to cancellations, and I know they won't leave our trip in limbo if they don't know when the quarantine might be lifted. I expect to hear from them next week.
TXTransplant
Just got the call that our trip is officially cancelled. There just isn't enough coordination with the National Parks for them to be able to guarantee the trip would go as-planned.
LHIOB
AG
Booked flights for late August. Plan is to rent an RV and drive from Anchorage to Coldfoot. Crossing our fingers!
RachAg2007
AG
Make sure your RV is allowed to drive on the Dalton Highway. A lot of rental companies have in their contract that you are not allowed to travel on that road. When I went up to Coldfoot 3 years ago, I didn't see a single RV on the Dalton. It's a rough road and Fairbanks is a long ways away if you have any vehicle trouble.
LHIOB
AG
Great tip! They have a few RV parks up there but thats good to know.
jetescamilla
AG
Yes that road is rough, real rough. Especially when you want it rains. Also, inspect your vehicle before you drive off. Don't assume the rental company has done it for you. Ensure you have a full sized spare tire, jumper cables, and all your fluids topped off.

Honestly, if you aren't completely sold on renting the RV I'd recommend renting a work truck from one of the equipment rental companies in Fairbanks. Try Airport Rental, they are who I use when I have to go up the Dalton. You can then stay at the Coldfoot Camp one night and then travel no problem to Prudhoe Bay if you wanted.

Good luck.
jetescamilla
AG
FYI, for those still planning on coming to Alaska this summer...

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020/05/29/state-will-lift-mandatory-quarantine-for-travelers-instead-requiring-they-be-tested-before-flying-to-alaska/

Quote:

Dunleavy said in a media briefing Friday that travelers from out of state, who will need to be tested for COVID-19 within 72 hours of boarding a plane to Alaska, will be asked to provide test results and fill out paperwork when they arrive.

Those who are unable to submit their complete paperwork for example, if they lost their paperwork or test results while traveling will be provided a test at airport terminals upon arrival, Dunleavy said. Instead of being tested at the airport, travelers may opt instead for a 14-day quarantine, Dunleavy added.

BSD
AG
BSD said:

Watching. I'd be down to go there since I'm cancelling my Hawaii trip.

So Hawaii is cancelled and my early August Yellowstone trip is looking like the hotels may cancel on me so I am seriously looking to head up to Alaska. Here are some of my thoughts on places I'd like to visit:

1. Denali (with two nights in the backcountry at Skyline Lodge)
2. Seward (Kenai Fjords, fish)
3. An overnight trip to Lake Clark to check it off my list
4. Kobuk Valley if I can make that work

Looking for fishing guides, travel tips, things I haven't thought of, etc.

Thanks!
agdaddy04
AG
Not sure the 72 hour window is realistic at this point. I was tested last week and got my results within 24 hours but some coworkers didn't receive them for 5 days.
Pro Sandy
AG
If day hiking in Denali, take the green bus instead of the brown. Green bus, you can request a stop where ever you want and catch any other green bus coming back. Brown bus is for the lazy people!

For seeing Denali, I used K2 out of Talkeetna. They offer glacier landings, but weather prevented us from landing. Did get to see the peak of Denali though.
BSD
AG
Any updates by those planning to travel? I've contacted three of the five backcountry Denali lodges and they closed for the entire season. I'm waiting on word back from the other two. If I can get something going, I'll book airfare.

I'd also be interested in Kenai Fjords, Lake Clark, and Kobuk Valley. The last two are pretty remote so I'm not sure if they are taking tourists yet.
jetescamilla
AG
My best advice would be to keep up with all the travel mandates. Also not that Anchorage currently has tougher restrictions than the State.

Im in Anchorage now (well Wasilla today) and aside from a random RV or I've hardly seen signs of tourist and tour companies this summer. It's actually been pretty refreshing. (No offense)

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020/06/07/we-want-this-to-be-easy-alaska-health-officials-offer-advice-on-how-to-comply-with-the-states-covid-19-travel-policy/

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anchorage/2020/06/05/anchorage-outlines-additional-restrictions-on-travelers-from-out-of-state/
BSD
AG
Thanks for the advice. It's a little daunting not knowing who is open and to what extent. It's going to take some research. I found a backcountry lodge at Denali that's open this summer. I may do that for two nights and spend another two or three nights up there before heading down to Seward. If I can get to Lake Clark it Kobuk Valley, I will. I doubt I'll do much in Anchorage other than land and sleep for a night before heading out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.