Hawaii

12,268 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by The Lost
sbs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone heard that Hawaii is going to extended their 14 day quarantine past 31 May? We fly in June to Hawaii.
BSD
AG
I haven't heard anything yet but I'm actively watching for any news. We are scheduled to leave June 26.

My concern is what will be open when we get there. Will the state parks and beaches be open? Restaurants? Boat tours? We have a condo for a while and then move to a resort for a while. Will the resort restaurants be open since we won't have a kitchen? What about the pools? These are all concerns that we have in addition to the quarantine restrictions.
dreyOO
I pulled the plug on our June trip. Just didn't trust that we wouldn't be locked indoors all day. They are slow rolling everything there.
BSD
AG
I am close to pulling the plug. I have until May 27th to decide. That's when I'm charged the full amount for the condo rental. The flights and hotels are easily cancelled at any time so I'm not worried about those. I've already cancelled 5 other trips. And this is my big vacation for the year so I really hope it doesn't come to this.
Ag CPA
AG
Articles like this are not promising unless you want to wear an ankle monitor.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/04/25/hawaii-news/passenger-quarantines-arent-likely-to-end-once-state-reopens/
BSD
AG
Quarantine will likely be extended according to this article. I'm going to have to cancel.

https://mauinow.com/2020/05/09/hawaii-senate-covid-19-committee-reports-travel-quarantine-will-likely-be-extended/
dave99ag
AG
Following as we were headed there in two weeks. Pushed the reservations back to the end of July, so we will see. Will cancel if things are still locked down then.
OasisMan
AG
BSD said:

I haven't heard anything yet but I'm actively watching for any news. We are scheduled to leave June 26.
also waiting -- was going to try to go on ~ june 21 -- havent bought tix yet, think i can still get a good deal in early june
sbs
AG
Very depressing. Looks like a trip to Hawaii is not going to happen. I watched the mayor of Honolulu press conference the other day, I think his expectations are to eradicate the virus from the islands. They are going to destroy their economy.
TXTransplant
Alaska and Hawaii are definitely caught between a rock and a hard place. We've been to Hawaii twice in the last few years and are (were?) supposed to go to Alaska this summer.

We were on the Big Island in 2018 when Kilauea erupted, and that had a huge impact on tourism on all the islands. The eruption really only impacted a small portion on the southeast corner of the Big Island, but people are dumb and were cancelling vacations to all the islands.

However, if they let infections get out of control, that will ruin their economy, too. And many of Hawaii residents are probably high-risk due to poverty and co-morbidities. Seems like it could get ugly there if they aren't careful.

I'm watching what's going on in Alaska, and the lack of coordination is probably what's going to kill our vacation. Attractions and hotels have set opening dates for anywhere from mid-June to early-July, but the national parks haven't said when they will be fully open. That's kind of a problem.

Then you've got the issues with the airlines. You've got to wonder how many flights are actually going to go to Hawaii and Alaska over the next few months. Just because you can buy a ticket today doesn't mean the flight will actually happen. You've got to figure schedules are going to be severely limited. Doesn't matter what's open if people can't get there.
12th Man Ag
AG
We are scheduled to leave for Oahu / Maui on 7/23. I think we are really close to pulling the plug. It sounds like absolute psychos are running the government there and I can't understand how some of these measures are constitutional. How can it be OK to arrest someone for leaving their hotel room to eat?
rlb28
AG
Hawaii in trouble
BSD
AG
12th Man Ag said:

We are scheduled to leave for Oahu / Maui on 7/23. I think we are really close to pulling the plug. It sounds like absolute psychos are running the government there and I can't understand how some of these measures are constitutional. How can it be OK to arrest someone for leaving their hotel room to eat?

Also suggesting ankle bracelets for tourists???? **** that noise.
EliteElectric
We are scheduled for Disney's Aulani for 7/6 so I am keeping an eye on things as well.
bobby_axelrod
I'm about to book for 08/01, thinking at least the craziness should be tailored down some. Maybe I'm being naive...
EliteElectric
Sorry posted 7/6 we are booked for 8/6 still nervous but that's almost 3 months from now so hopefully things will be better by then.
LegalDrugPusher
Ag CPA said:

Articles like this are not promising unless you want to wear an ankle monitor.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/04/25/hawaii-news/passenger-quarantines-arent-likely-to-end-once-state-reopens/

F that! That is straight up communism. What the hell have we become? Ankle monitors? F you
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I gave up on our Maui trip from 6/14-6/21.. this follows our Cabo trip that was cancelled for us at the beginning of all this mess. I'm sure our trip with the in-laws to Florida in July will be fine. Murphy's law of course. Trying to figure out something else to do in June now.
BSD
AG
Kauai just extended its quarantine thru June 30th. Anyone coming in will be subject to 14 days in the hole.

There goes my summer.
sbs
AG
Wow, they have zero active cases. I moved our trip to the end of July but that probably isn't safe either.
EliteElectric
I have been reading a lot of local news and it seems there is more and more clamoring from locals to reopen to tourism, Fingers crossed that they will be back open by August 6th.
JHUAggie
14- day quarantine at least through June...

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/05/14/hawaii-news/gov-ige-plans-to-extend-safer-at-home-order-through-june-30/
BSD
AG
Yeah, we saw that Kauai had extended so we said screw it. Got all our money and points back from the condo/hotel and credits on SWA. I'm not even going to try to go this year. I just don't think they quite get it over there. If there is a second wave, they'll probably shut down til next June with their SOP.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
We took a chance and booked a flight for late October. We couldn't resist the $400 round trip. Worst case, we cancel and have 2 years to use the credit for something else.
TexasAggie73
AG
We are booked to go in July 14 to Oahu and Kona Coast. Doubt we will go now. Plus wife will still be recovering from shoulder replacement surgery next week.
Tatem
My parents are residences of Hawaii. They left in March and said the locals were being very aggressive towards non-Hawaiians and crime was up. They still have friends in their neighborhood in Maui who say things are pretty closed up.

They are not returning for awhile -
Not sure I would risk it
Just my two cents
TexasAggie73
AG
Tatem said:

My parents are residences of Hawaii. They left in March and said the locals were being very aggressive towards non-Hawaiians and crime was up. They still have friends in their neighborhood in Maui who say things are pretty closed up.

They are not returning for awhile -
Not sure I would risk it
Just my two cents
My wife told me that a 23 year old tourist was just arrested for breaking the quarantine and faces a fine of $5000 or a year in jail. He was posting pictures of himself on Instagram. Hawaii does mean business.
Ag CPA
Ag CPA
AG
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/16/us/hawaii-arrest-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

Good times.
GEA2007
AG
Was scheduled to fly to Kauai today. Rebooked everything for mid-July and feeling very doubtful that's going to happen either.
Phat32
AG
They are aware of how their economy works, right?

Without going all F16 on this thread, it's really sad to see these incredible tourist areas with little risk get dismantled by dumbass politicians.
rlb28
AG
We were going to fly Southwest to Kauai this summer. We didn't actually book though and I haven't thought about it much. Logged onto Southwest this morning and got this message:

Sorry, no flights available
  • Flights from Houston (Hobby), TX - HOU to Lihue (Kauai), HI - LIH are not scheduled to operate on 08/01/2020. Some flights may only operate on specific days of the week. To see what days we fly, search our lowest fares by month or choose a different origin/destination

I clicked on the link and flights are completely unavailable from today until....
BSD
AG
That is probably because the flight connections overlap on those days. You'll have to book two separate trips with an overnight in OAK.
sbs
AG
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/05/19/hawaii-news/ige-faces-the-dilemma-of-eventually-reopening-to-both-tourists-and-new-infections/

Based on this article, I think traveling to Hawaii this summer is not an option.

"We are considering what conditions we would feel comfortable with lifting that quarantine," Ige said. In a separate online discussion earlier in the day, Ige said that any suggestion Hawaii would open for tourism by the late summer seems "premature."
Phat32
AG
Hope the 30-40% of people unemployed there are happy about no more infections.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.