Greece trip late June

1,646 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Big Al 1992
OilManAg91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone in Greece hearing when the govt will lift travel restrictions? I see hotels can open June 1, but that doesn't help much if the 14 day quarantine is still in affect. My flights are the last week in June to early July. I might be a week or so too early if they decide to open July 1. Locations are Athens, Crete and Mykonos.

Also planning to spend some time in Lake Como and Istanbul on this trip, but that isn't likely to happen although if anyone is there and can provide info that would be great.
BmtAg96
AG
I'm in the same position. Original plan was late May. Cancelled flight and now have a 24 month flight credit with United. Was holding out hope we could reschedule for late June.
Spore Ag
Neighbor supposed to go to Greece in June. She checked her flight and it disappeared. She says they were to be charged to change later this year so sounds like a deal she got now she seems to have been had.
Ag CPA
AG
You're trying to go this June? Hell I'm worried about our trip to Greece next June.
Big Al 1992
AG
Just read Greece is open to EU tourists July 1. So guessing is 'Mercians aren't welcome there yet. Plus haven't heard if you do go ever it is allowed, will they force quarantine there or will US force one on return. We were also supposed to be there in June.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/greece-open-tourists-summer/
OilManAg91
AG
Appreciate the info. Given what the Greek tourism minister said it looks like my trip is officially killed...not a huge surprise. But I will wait until the end of May to cancel my plane reservation as I really want to go and it gives me a few more weeks to pretend that it might actually happen.
BmtAg96
AG
We decided to wait until the same time next year. Sucks but will be best based on all the positive uncertainty.
wangus12
AG
Our flights just got canceled. We were supposed to go the 2nd week in June and we figured it wasn't gonna happen.

Probably gonna try and go on the same trip next year.
OilManAg91
AG
I cancelled my Greece trip last night. I'm sad to have to cancel the trip, but there is always next year...I hope.

I booked on United with frequent flyer miles and upgrade Plus Points, and was immediately credited with all my miles and PPs back into my account. But United says it will take 4-6 weeks on the cash refund part. They must be holding on to the cash as long as possible because it can't take that long to refund my credit card.
Burn-It
AG
I'm in the same boat. We have flights and hotels (pre-paid) that will need to be cancelled. I'm not worried about getting the refund on the United flights since they cancelled the flights in and out of Europe, but I had booked a flight from Athens to Santorini and the hotels were not cheap whatsoever. Hopefully they will issue a refund, or at least let me rebook the same accommodations later.

Update: The hotel we planned to stay at in Santorin (Kirini) said no refund and did not offer credit towards a future stay. This place required advance payment to reserve, so they have me by the nuts for about $4k. This was their response to my cancellation and refund request.

"Greetings from Katikies Kirini Santorini!

Thank you for your e-mail!

Kindly note that we really feel sorry for all the situation that has been raised worldwide and we wish to stop soon.

We hope you and your family and safe.

We would like to inform you that for the time being and according to the Greek Government, our properties will be open normally in June.

Your reservation is reserved under the non-refundable terms and no refund is allowed to be made. Nevertheless, we would recommend you evaluate again the situation due to this issue, later on, approximately 15-20 days prior to your scheduled arrival in order to have a clearer view and inform you of all the best available options we may offer you.

In any case, we will keep you updated and as it has always been, at Katikies Kirini Santorini we are entirely focused on the experience of our guests having your health and safety as our highest priority."
AKA 13-0
Big Al 1992
AG
We are dealing with a similar issue - London private tour company not refunding. I'm at the point now to threaten with bad Trip Advisor reviews etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.