When will the Caribbean islands open back up? anyone have a source..

6,869 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DisneyFan5
nosoupforyou
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
our flight to Grand Cayman has been cancelled for May as the island is closed through at least May 31... flights are not allowed from the US.

I am hoping I can re-book the flight for July but the moment they open the island, there will be a rush, I'm sure.

Anyone have updates on GC, or other islands - please share here so we can all re-book quickly.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Southwest told me first flights to Belize were in mid August so looks like I'm going next summer.
Thinice
From what I'm hearing on a GC page they may not let any tourists in for the rest of the year.
Ag with kids
AG
Last week, I booked a trip to St Martin over Christmas and that seemed to work. And AA has plenty of (****ing expensive) flights available to book at that time.
Big Al 1992
AG
Heading to USVI for Christmas. Yes AA flights look empty but are expensive. Decided on US territories since no telling what the U.K., Dutch and French islands are gonna do.
Petrino1
There are still flights available to Puerto Rico. They were reasonably priced when I checked last week.
maverick12
AG
We're scheduled to go to USVI in late July. Hopefully, everything is more, or less back to normal by then. I heard that BVI is shut down to non-residents through early September. I don't understand why they are closing it so far out, but am hopeful that changes because it wouldn't be the same without spending a day, or two at the Soggy Dollar.
nosoupforyou
AG
I have been reaching out to several local sources for the Cayman Islands - BAD NEWS.. UGH!

Hi Kevin: JUST got off a press conference with the premier of Cayman Islands. He said they will not reopen borders until AT LEAST Sept. and possibly longer. I know this isn't what you want to hear. (or me either). They do not want any US or other country citizens coming to the island and spreading the virus. I expect them to want to be open for the seasonal "winter" business which would mean opening by November. It all depends on what happens in the USA. Feel free to contact me at any time.

Yvonne

With warm regards,
Yvonne Nichie | Office Administrator
Main: 212.889.9009 | Fax: 212.889.9125

Cayman Islands Department of Tourism
350 Fifth Avenue, Empire State Building, Suite 4620, New York, NY 10118

Second source -
Thanks for your email. I'm afraid my answer is probably not what you want to hear.
In today's press briefing, the Premier said the following:

It is clear that the Cayman Islands is not likely to reopen its borders for as much as six months. Also indications are, the borders are likely to remain closed until 1 September.

So while no official policy decision has yet been made, this is a pretty accurate temperature test of where we stand at time of writing.

Please continue to keep an eye on the website and I hope we may have more optimistic news to share with you soon.

Very best,
Caroline
caroline.james@gov.ky

Post removed:
by user
nosoupforyou
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

How do these people make ends meet when tourism is their primary business. Is the British government giving the unemployed in the Cayman's money like the U.S.?

I read some articles online and the guy in charge is the Progressive movement candidate.. he's been reelected several times so the people are getting what they asked for.. and they don't like this current set up, that's for sure!

The lady at The Anchorage Hotel was very frustrated that she couldn't even go into the hotel by herself to get some work done They said the building had to be completely closed.. stuff like that.. she eventually was able to get in by herself, but for quite a while she was not able to

Sad
Leander - Ag
AG
Turks airport opening back up 6/1
nosoupforyou
AG
Leander - Ag said:

Turks airport opening back up 6/1

Wow!!
phatbc
Well to be fair they say they are closed until at least may 31. They could always extend it. Peeps on one of the travel blog forums think they will extend it.
nosoupforyou
AG
phatbc said:

Well to be fair they say they are closed until at least may 31. They could always extend it. Peeps on one of the travel blog forums think they will extend it.

Not accurate - airport opens June 1

https://www.visittci.com/travel-info/turks-and-caicos-coronavirus-covid-19
aggie93
AG
Got a sailing trip July 17 in the BVI and watching everything daily. I have a payment on the boat June 1 I am making a go/no go call at that point. Anyone that has any info would be appreciated though.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
txags92
AG
nosoupforyou said:

I have been reaching out to several local sources for the Cayman Islands - BAD NEWS.. UGH!

Hi Kevin: JUST got off a press conference with the premier of Cayman Islands. He said they will not reopen borders until AT LEAST Sept. and possibly longer. I know this isn't what you want to hear. (or me either). They do not want any US or other country citizens coming to the island and spreading the virus. I expect them to want to be open for the seasonal "winter" business which would mean opening by November. It all depends on what happens in the USA. Feel free to contact me at any time.

Yvonne

With warm regards,

Second source -
Thanks for your email. I'm afraid my answer is probably not what you want to hear.

It is clear that the Cayman Islands is not likely to reopen its borders for as much as six months. Also indications are, the borders are likely to remain closed until 1 September.

So while no official policy decision has yet been made, this is a pretty accurate temperature test of where we stand at time of writing.

Please continue to keep an eye on the website and I hope we may have more optimistic news to share with you soon.

Very best,
Caroline
caroline.james@gov.ky

They made this official the other day. Caymans are closed to international passengers until at least Sept 1.
Potcake
AG
You may have to bug out. I follow Virgin Gorda and St. John forums and BVI apparently open September 2.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147358-i651-k13288250-Reopening_of_Virgin_Gorda-Virgin_Gorda_British_Virgin_Islands.html#replies
DuncanAg
AG
txags92 said:

nosoupforyou said:

Yvonne

With warm regards,

Second source -

Very best,
Caroline
caroline.james@gov.ky

They made this official the other day. Caymans are closed to international passengers until at least Sept 1.
Have been going to the Grand Cayman since I was a kid...and now take my own family. Absolutely love the island. Really wonder how most of those folks are going to financially make it with ~70% of their GDP being tourism. Would really love some fish tacos and a mind eraser from Sunshine Grill right about now.
txags92
AG
DuncanAg said:

txags92 said:

nosoupforyou said:

Yvonne

With warm regards,

Second source -

Very best,
Caroline
caroline.james@gov.ky

Have been going to the Grand Cayman since I was a kid...and now take my own family. Absolutely love the island. Really wonder how most of those folks are going to financially make it with ~70% of their GDP being tourism. Would really love some fish tacos and a mind eraser from Sunshine Grill right about now.
A lot of them won't. Don Fosters has already announced they are going out of business and closing down.
There will be a lot more restaurants and dive/snorkel operators that do the same by the time Sept. 1 rolls around. The problem when they open back up is that all the ex-pats that are the backbone of a lot of the tourism vendors are probably going to have left the islands by then because I don't think they are eligible for government assistance.
nosoupforyou
AG
Exuma Bahamas just announced that they will allow international flights 'on or before July 1'.

so - looks like Turks and Caicos is the only one I know of opening flights on June 1

Any other islands in the Caribbean that are open for flights in June??
Ag CPA
AG
This is a pretty good summary from TPG:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/reopening-soon-a-country-by-country-guide-to-coronavirus-recovery/
texican08
AG
I rebooted my flights (SW canceled) today for our Belize July 10-19th trip.

I'm gambling on them following the US and our cases steadily declining despite an economy that's reopening. I think they also need a rapid result COVID tester which I'm hoping they can get within the next 5 weeks.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Was supposed to be there same time as you but SW moved flights back to mid August so that wasn't doable for me. Rescheduled for July next year.
Pignorant
AG
Was looking at going to St. Barths by way of St. Maarten in late October. Is that late enough in the year?

I went last year for my honeymoon and it was incredible.
Ag with kids
AG
Pignorant said:

Was looking at going to St. Barths by way of St. Maarten in late October. Is that late enough in the year?

I went last year for my honeymoon and it was incredible.
You flying from St Maarten or taking the ferry?

We did a day trip to St Barth's from St Maarten several years back and went by ferry. St Maarten is our go to Christmas location. Holy ****, seeing all those $100 million+ yachts in the harbor was mind blowing. Most of them were so expensive they have their own wiki page.

But, it was also cool to see planes land at the airport...looks like that would be a fun way to arrive.
Big Al 1992
AG
Welp - I get that Christmas is high season for Caribbean but United flights to St Thomas start at $1300. Middle seats are already not being filled so airline trying to make up for the 1/3 of the plane seating it's losing.
nosoupforyou
AG
Anybody seeing anything about getting to some of these islands in the Caribbean in the month of June? Our window to travel is closed starting July 5 and wanting to get out there
Pignorant
AG
We took a small plane to SB from SXM.
maverick12
AG
We just received a notification from our rental company in St. John that the Governor is opening the US Virgin Islands for tourism starting June 1st. Restaurants and bars will be allowed to open. Social distancing is requested and masks must be worn in "commercial settings", but they are not required on the beaches, or when hiking.

Still hoping BVI reopens sooner than September!
10Aggie10
AG
nosoupforyou said:

so - looks like Turks and Caicos is the only one I know of opening flights on June 1

Any other islands in the Caribbean that are open for flights in June??

https://www.visittci.com/travel-info/turks-and-caicos-coronavirus-covid-19

I haven't seen anything official, but it now looks like T&C will NOT be allowing visitors at the beginning of June.
Bummer
phatbc
Hate to say I had it right, but I had it right. Bummer for sure
10Aggie10
AG
This is what I've been able to find:

Puerto Rico - reopened yesterday
Antigua - June 4
St. Lucia - June 4 (with restrictions/stipulations)
Cayman- Sept 1
10Aggie10
AG
Aruba, Cuba, Dominican Republic all seem to think they are on course to reopen late June/early July, but nothing definitive.

Pretty much every other island(s) seems to be throwing darts (no real plan)
nosoupforyou
AG
thanks for sharing the updates you have seen

I checked with Exuma, Bahamas again this am and they said 'likely' July 1 but could be sooner or could be later.. sheesh...

was trying to set up a late June trip but doesn't look promising...
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oezgsPJs.jpg[/IMG]
gindaloon
AG
USVI June 1st

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/us-virgin-islands-coronavirus-reopen-june

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.