Where / When have you cancelled vacations?

15,282 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Lavender Gooms
Post removed:
by user
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've only cancelled our Easter trip to Boston. I feel bad for my son since he's studying the American Revolution right now and really wanted to visit all the sites.

I am working this day by day though. We have several trips in May - June that I will figure out as we get closer.

But the summer trip to Kauai...oh man. I really don't want to miss that one.
TXTransplant
I've posted about this in other threads - sitting on a Nat Geo trip to Alaska scheduled for June 3-10 that was paid in full on 3/5. I need them to cancel to get a refund. Called today and they said they are giving about 5 weeks notice for cancellations. If the trip does go, I will probably still cancel our pre-days in Seattle.

Leaving the associated flights alone for now because if I change something now only to need to change/cancel it again, I will likely lose my vouchers/credits entirely.
hoosierAG
AG
Yellowstone and GTNP in late June...been holding out for awhile hoping it would be ok but obviously not at this point. Haven't the heart to tell my son yet, but bigger things in life going on obviously.
wildcat08
AG
We were supposed to be in Costa Rica this week. That didn't happen.
The Lost
Fianc had her bachelorette party postponed from next week to who knows when.

So far trips together Memorial Day weekend go dfw is in the air. We're initially going to go to the colonial, which is still on but I don't have a ton of hope for. Pending the world we may still go and hang with my parents, just a wait and see.

Hopefully my bachelor party to Chicago in July and honeymoon to Kauai will happen, but who knows at this point. Pretty much everything's in a holding pattern.
HoustonAg12
AG
Wife is pregnant and we have a baby moon planned for Hawaii in June. Haven't cancelled yet but doubt it happens.

I also turn 30 in April and was planning on doing a trip with the boys which probably won't happen
arrow
AG
Scotland, end of May through the first week of June. I typically view things with a glass half full. I can't make sense of this one.
aggiejet
AG
Canceled end of spring break week trip to Houston Rodeo, and DC trip for late April. Hoping for Florida in late May & Mexico in late July. If not, Mexico in the fall hopefully.
OasisMan
AG
Still hoping for Hawaii in June/july

Also Iceland Aug
lil99chris
AG
I have a DisneyWorld trip for Easter week that will likely get cancelled. I have a Disney Cruise for Alaska in May that I imagine will be cancelled due to departing from a Canadian port.

I booked a couple summer trips due to the flight pricing.
Fairview
AG
Third week of April Spring Break trip. Cruise in the Caribbean. On the plus side we had a really expensive room and since they cancelled they gave us a 125% credit.
TXTransplant
lil99chris said:

I have a DisneyWorld trip for Easter week that will likely get cancelled. I have a Disney Cruise for Alaska in May that I imagine will be cancelled due to departing from a Canadian port.

I booked a couple summer trips due to the flight pricing.

All Adventures by Disney trips scheduled in May have been cancelled. If you haven't heard about your cruise, it's probably only a matter of time.
RachAg2007
AG
Cancelled trip to Kauai next month.
lil99chris
AG
Announcement just came out for DisneyWorld/Disneyland to be closed until further notice. I believe the cruise will cancel....just waiting to see if there is any incentive from Disney.
TXTransplant
lil99chris said:

Announcement just came out for DisneyWorld/Disneyland to be closed until further notice. I believe the cruise will cancel....just waiting to see if there is any incentive from Disney.

Good luck with that. The only "special considerations" I've heard of were for some ABD travelers who went all the way to Australia only to be told when they got there that the ABD was cancelled. And all ABD did was cover the cost to fly them back home. Those people definitely deserve some extra "incentives".
Mathguy64
AG
July Yellowstone and Grand Tetons including reservations at Lake Jenny for dinner have been booked since Dec. keeping fingers crossed.

Next year is the biggie. We won lottery spots at Brooks Lodge in Katmai. That was done back in January for July 2021. If next summer goes to the ****ter I'm going to be pissed. People with 2020 spots have to be unhappy right now. They can't rebook until 2022.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Turks and Caicos April 19-25. Can't go because SW airlines isn't flying there until May 1 at the earliest. Because of work projects starting in May we probably can't take another trip until late September. Going to have to squeeze three weeks of vacation into the last three months of the year.
Austintm
Canceled our trip to France (Paris and Reims) and Italy (Milan, Venice and Florence) that was set to start 4/15. Pretty much everything refunded or credited. Looking to go in October now
flyfishingaggie
Cancelled cruise for May.

I live in California and my parents are in Houston area. They are only giving my dad at best 4 weeks (not COVID-19, but cancer).

What are travel recommendations at this time? It would just be me, i would not take my family but definitely do not want to put my parents (70s) and my family at further risk if I do travel.

I am also checking with my DR on recommendations.
SW AG80
AG
Canceled our trip to Charleston and then onto The Masters. Obviously that was an easy call. Also had 4 nights in San Diego that we have canceled.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Belize in July still going as of now.
Jock 07
AG
Was supposed to drive down to the del last weekend to utilize an expiring certificate but Hilton waived the expiration date so we pushed the trip to June. I'll probably re-evaluate in May and might push out further in the summer if need be.
Jock 07
AG
flyfishingaggie said:

Cancelled cruise for May.

I live in California and my parents are in Houston area. They are only giving my dad at best 4 weeks (not COVID-19, but cancer).

What are travel recommendations at this time? It would just be me, i would not take my family but definitely do not want to put my parents (70s) and my family at further risk if I do travel.

I am also checking with my DR on recommendations.

I'd just hop in the truck and drive if it were me. Would find a Hilton or Marriott property and would take a **** ton of Clorox wipes and wipe everything at the hotel down.
EMY92
AG
Ireland, first half of May.

Hoping I can go in late August.
JMac03
AG
Vacations I have canceled or moved for others:
Carnival Cruise canceled out of New Orleans - canceled by cruise line (April)
Rocky Mountaineer train ride in Canada - cancelled by RM (April)
Puerto Vallarta trip - canceled by client (March)
Puerto Vallarta trip - moved from March to November
Barbados honeymoon - moved from early May to late May
Flights - lots of changes
Aruba trip - moved from April to October
St. Thomas trip - moving from early May to August
Cancun trip - moved from April to September
Italy honeymoon - canceled outright (March)
Cancun trip - moved from April to July
More I'm forgetting

I still have a few in April and May we are watching. I really hope it's cleared up by May-ish - I have lots booked for June/July
lil99chris
AG
TXTransplant said:

lil99chris said:

Good luck with that. The only "special considerations" I've heard of were for some ABD travelers who went all the way to Australia only to be told when they got there that the ABD was cancelled. And all ABD did was cover the cost to fly them back home. Those people definitely deserve some extra "incentives".

Incentive just offered at WDW for those with reservations during affected dates.
lazuras_dc
AG
NYC last week of April for 10yr anniversary. Going to have to cancel.

Seattle July will probably cancel - even if things calmed down we are so slow with work now I'm hoping to use vacay time I saved for July to make up for now.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Dive trip to Cozumel in May is looking like a no go
TexasAggie81
Spain. One month. It was all arranged. Fly drive train. I began canceling things yesterday. Very sad.
YouBet
AG
TXTransplant said:

I've posted about this in other threads - sitting on a Nat Geo trip to Alaska scheduled for June 3-10 that was paid in full on 3/5. I need them to cancel to get a refund. Called today and they said they are giving about 5 weeks notice for cancellations. If the trip does go, I will probably still cancel our pre-days in Seattle.

Leaving the associated flights alone for now because if I change something now only to need to change/cancel it again, I will likely lose my vouchers/credits entirely.

I would love to hear about this trip if you get to go. We get the Nat Geo trip book and they look awesome. And awesomely expensive!

For OP, we only cancelled a trip to New Orleans so far.
kyledr04
AG
I had 3 work trips (NY, Memphis, ABQ) canceled so far plus a conference at Disney in April. I expect our family Disney trip in May to be cancelled or rescheduled. I was also planning June trip for our anniversary.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We're supposed to go to Disney World late April into early May.

We haven't cancelled yet. They announced today the parks are closed indefinitely (vs previously until end of March).

We'll hold a couple of more weeks since they're not charging cancellation fees up until the day of check-in.

I think the odds are near zero the world will turn around enough in time for us to be comfortable keeping the trip, but it doesn't hurt to hold it for now.
lil99chris
AG
If you are considering a Disney trip in the near future, please contact me (Chris Smith '99). There should be some promotions that will be dropping soon that can be applied to your trip. Even if you have been to a Disney destination, I can help as much or as little as you would like. If you have questions, feel free to call, private message, or email me.

My services are FREE when you book with me and you are helping out an Aggie small business!

Chris Smith '99
csmith@travelwithontheroad.com

TXTransplant
YouBet said:

TXTransplant said:

I would love to hear about this trip if you get to go. We get the Nat Geo trip book and they look awesome. And awesomely expensive!

For OP, we only cancelled a trip to New Orleans so far.

I'm not optimistic we will get to go, and we most likely won't be able to rebook this year. But if we do, or if we go next year, I will be more than happy to share!

We have not traveled with Nat Geo before (have done two Adventures By Disney trips), so we were really looking forward to this.

As a side note, Disney actually bought Nat Geo's travel business last year, so who knows what changed that will bring.

The trip we booked to Alaska is $$$, but the nice thing about Nat Geo is that they do have trips at various different price points, depending on what types of amenities you want.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.