Q about Chase Sapphire Ultimate Rewards

2,756 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TXTransplant
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm a relatively new cardholder and have booked our first flights using my reward points.

Flights are to Seattle (on United) and Anchorage (on Delta).

Flights are booked on points, and both airlines have extended their no-fee cancellation policies through our travel dates.

My question is, how will Chase handle the refund/credit? Will I just get my points back and be free to use them however I want? Or will some of the points be tied to a United reservation and the other to a Delta reservation? Or will I get credits equal to the price of the flights that are also tied to the two different airlines?

I've tried calling Chase, but obviously they are very busy. I was on hold for 2.5 hours the other day before getting disconnected without speaking to anyone.
Mustang1
AG
There is an Ultimate Rewards Facebook group you can join. Pretty knowledgeable people on that program.
TXTransplant
Finally got through.

Chase is not giving any refunds of rewards points.

For the trips booked on points, I get vouchers on United and Delta for the $ value of the flights at the time I booked.

New reservations must be made by Dec. 31.

If the new flights that I book cost less, I forfeit the difference.

Each voucher includes two tickets (my son was booked with me). If I try to rebook a ticket just for myself, I forfeit his half of the credit. So, if I try to use a $400 credit, I can only use $200 if it to book my ticket.

Alaska Airlines policy is a little different. I get a voucher for the $ of the flights, but I have to travel by Feb 2021 (At least I think that's what I was told. The connection was bad, and I could barely understand the guy I was talking to).

Also, none of the cancellations or rebookings can be done online. I have to call Chase anytime I want to change something or use the voucher.
Gig-Em2003
AG
I have another question - I transferred chase UR points to Air France to book two tickets from Paris to US this July. I'm cancelling the trip. I'm sure Air France will cancel for me and give me the points back, but ultimately I'd rather transfer those points back to Chase UR to have a more versatile currency. Internet says it's a one-way transfer only (i.e. can go from UR to Air France, but not from Air France to UR).

Anyone have an experience getting Air France to transfer the points back to Chase UR?

I will also research FB pages.
schmendeler
AG
i booked travel in early may using onepass miles with united. just changed my flights to early august this week. the flights were less points than originally and united refunded me the points difference.
Mustang1
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

I have another question - I transferred chase UR points to Air France to book two tickets from Paris to US this July. I'm cancelling the trip. I'm sure Air France will cancel for me and give me the points back, but ultimately I'd rather transfer those points back to Chase UR to have a more versatile currency. Internet says it's a one-way transfer only (i.e. can go from UR to Air France, but not from Air France to UR).

Anyone have an experience getting Air France to transfer the points back to Chase UR?

I will also research FB pages.
I think you are unable to transfer back to UR.
TXTransplant
schmendeler said:

i booked travel in early may using onepass miles with united. just changed my flights to early august this week. the flights were less points than originally and united refunded me the points difference.
Maybe they will end up relaxing their rules on the vouchers. There is no reason why I should have to forfeit the remainder of my voucher if I book a cheaper flight (just let me keep the remainder to use as a credit at a future date), and there is no reason I should not be able to use my son's "half" of a voucher for a ticket for myself. He's a minor...he can't rebook anything on his own, and it's MY money (even if the ticket has his name on it).
Post removed:
by user
TXTransplant
SoupNazi2001 said:

TXTransplant said:

Finally got through.

Chase is not giving any refunds of rewards points.

For the trips booked on points, I get vouchers on United and Delta for the $ value of the flights at the time I booked.

New reservations must be made by Dec. 31.

If the new flights that I book cost less, I forfeit the difference.

Each voucher includes two tickets (my son was booked with me). If I try to rebook a ticket just for myself, I forfeit his half of the credit. So, if I try to use a $400 credit, I can only use $200 if it to book my ticket.

Alaska Airlines policy is a little different. I get a voucher for the $ of the flights, but I have to travel by Feb 2021 (At least I think that's what I was told. The connection was bad, and I could barely understand the guy I was talking to).

Also, none of the cancellations or rebookings can be done online. I have to call Chase anytime I want to change something or use the voucher.

This is not true, if you paid with UR points and your trip is refundable they will refund you the points.
I called today and spent an hour on the phone. My tickets were are booked as non-refundable on each airline (which is what I usually buy, because I don't plan trips expecting a global pandemic).

They aren't refunding points. You get vouchers with each airline for the cost of the flight at the time you booked.
Post removed:
by user
TXTransplant
A hotel makes sense. I was hoping to get points back for my airline flights, but certainly wasn't expecting it. Airlines gotta stay liquid, too.
Old Ag 95
AG
Good info thanks.
ORAggieFan
Chase is just booking the ticket for you the same as you would through Expedia, so it's not a surprise the refunds would apply the same way. A lot different than if you're using specific airline miles.
TXTransplant
Getting a refund of points on one flight (on Delta) because the schedule was changed by four hours.

I got through to a Chase rep right away, but the call took an hour because I was transferred to three different Chase reps, and then they had to "confirm" with Delta that I was entitled to a refund.

I will be refunded points, which normal takes 15-30 min, but because of "coronavirus" my refund may take up to 30 days or 2 billing cycles.

Edited to add: the points are already back in my account!
nosoupforyou
AG
thanks for this thread -

I booked a flight for 6 to the Caymans through Chase Sapphire Rewards.
I called them on 4.13 - was on hold 5 minutes and got through - she was great - she cancelled my flight and told me to go to United.com/refunds and put in my info - I'm still waiting on United to respond.

I spent 253,000 points - and equivalent value of just over $3,000.

So you are saying they will give me the cash, instead of just re-depositing the points?

ok i guess.. I just want to re-schedule for July
TXTransplant
Oh wow...I thought the airlines refunded Chase and then Chase gave you points back.

If United is going to give you a full cash refund, I'd take that and wait a month or so to rebook. I changed our Alaska trip to dates in July, but I'm not purchasing airline tickets just yet. I want to wait until the April 30 deadline to change any tickets through Dec 31 that United has in effect passes.
nosoupforyou
AG
To be clear I have only requested the refund I have not gotten it back yet.

The Chase lady told me that since the airline industry is getting bail out money, they might give me a refund And she told me to mention that in my note about the refund. No update yet but I will let you all know how it turns out

It's great to come on here and talk together so we can team up Thanks everybody for thoughts or updates
TXTransplant
nosoupforyou said:

To be clear I have only requested the refund I have not gotten it back yet.

The Chase lady told me that since the airline industry is getting bail out money, they might give me a refund And she told me to mention that in my note about the refund. No update yet but I will let you all know how it turns out

It's great to come on here and talk together so we can team up Thanks everybody for thoughts or updates

Ahhh...I understand now.

I was refunded the points for my Delta flight because Delta made a "significant" schedule change. Had that not happened and I had just cancelled the flight on my own, I would have just received a voucher for the $ value of the points at the time that I booked. If I'd paid with actual $, I would have gotten a refund to my cc.

If United didn't change your flights, I wouldn't hold my breath for a refund of points or $, but their voucher policy is pretty generous now (after going through several iterations). You'll have two years from the date the voucher is issued to rebook with them.

But if they do give you a refund, please post about it here...that would be great news!

Also, although I have not done it, yet, I ~think~ I can get a travel voucher from United without having to go through Chase. When I use my United confirmation number, I can pull up my reservation on the United website and am given the option to cancel for a voucher.

I did not do this with my Delta flight because I wanted my Chase points back, and and only Chase can do that.

I also have flights on Alaska Airlines booked with a combo of points and $, but when I view that reservation on the Alaska website, it says I have to call to make any changes.

My point in posting this is, with some reservations, you can bypass Chase and work directly with the airline, which is good because dealing with Chase is pretty inefficient. Also, every time I call Chase, the connection is absolutely horrible and I can barely hear anything the rep says.
Summer Breeze
AG
I had a flight booked for the first week of April with points. I canceled due to Corona, and American gave me a refund. I have emails from them with the amounts and everything. I've been watching my points account to see those show up as refunded.

Are you all saying Chase is just going to keep that instead of refunding me cash or points?

That's not cool.
nosoupforyou
AG
I'm still waiting on an answer Have not heard anything back from United

Would love to just do the exact same flight schedule in July But still no word on when the island will open up
TXTransplant
Summer Breeze said:

I had a flight booked for the first week of April with points. I canceled due to Corona, and American gave me a refund. I have emails from them with the amounts and everything. I've been watching my points account to see those show up as refunded.

Are you all saying Chase is just going to keep that instead of refunding me cash or points?

That's not cool.

Chase shouldn't keep anything. If the airline cancels or significantly changes your flight, you are entitled to a refund. But if you booked with points, Chase gets the refund and then gives you your points back. You are then free to use the points on anything you want.

If you voluntarily cancel, you should get a voucher from airline, subject to the terms and conditions of the airlines current voucher policy. IDK what American's policy is right now, but Delta and United are giving two year vouchers.

If you cancel voluntarily and still get your pints back, that would be interesting to know, only because the airlines seem to be very strict about giving full refunds (and Chase is bound by what the the airlines are willing to do).
Summer Breeze
AG
I'm going to trot to call Chase today. I had one leg of the flight booked on United and they gave me a voucher. American refunded, however, and now that I think of it that leg of the flight may have had some changes before I cancelled.
TXTransplant
I'm trying to call Chase about a United flight I have booked at the end of May.

United hasn't bothered to contact me AT ALL, but I checked the itinerary just now, and my direct flight to SEA has changed to one with a stop/plane change in SFO. So, that makes me eligible for a refund of my points.

Chase's menu has changed and they ask you to input your itinerary number. When you do that and the system sees you're not scheduled to travel in the next 7 days, it hangs up :/.

If you're having trouble getting through to Chase, do the following:

1. Go to your reservation in My Trips.
2. Click the button that says "Change Flight".
3. You will be directed to Customer Service page that has a "Cancel Trip" button and a "Contact Us" button.
4. Click the "Contact Us" button and enter your name and phone number.

I got a call back immediately after submitting my name and number.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.