Honestly, the lack of travel prospects is killing me

2,938 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For the past 10 years, I've been traveling to the SF Bay Area for work about every 3 months on average.
I've had a lot of other work trips across Asia and to other locations in the USA and Europe and of course Australia where I was living at the time.

Right now, I'm doing everything via Zoom conference and even opportunities to drive to customers offices is gone with the California "Safer at Home" mandate.

For a decade, I've been in a constant state of returning from one trip and planning the next one. With no travel in the foreseeable future, I don't know what to do with myself.

Anybody else having travel withdrawal?
An Ag in CO
AG
Not even a month since my last trip so any true withdrawal will probably not happen until the end of summer and I'm hopeful we'll have some mobility options by then. And I've had to cancel 3 non-work trips so it's not like I didn't have anything planned. But withdrawal after two/three weeks of inconvenience? Nah.
Matsui
AG
Me too!!!! This sucks.
TXTransplant
My son and I usually take two trips a year together, a big one in early summer and a shorter one in the fall. For other reasons, we only took one last year. So, I haven't traveled since June 2019.

We have a big trip to Alaska planned for early June. I'm doubtful we will be able to go. Knowing that trip will likely be canceled and not knowing when or where we will be able to travel next is really bothering me.

I pretty much always have one upcoming trip and another in the early planning stages. I love taking time to research and book adventures with local guides and vendors.

Even just having something exciting to look forward to is a huge motivator and mood booster.

Since I can't plan a trip, last night I decided to highlight past trips on my Instagram account and highlight the amazing vendors, attractions, hotels, restaurants, etc. (many of them local businesses) that we've experienced on our travels. Hopefully, it will encourage others to do business with these companies when all this craziness is over.
Spore Ag
I do in a way, wife and I *****ing at each other. Kind of feel trapped.
Have put myself in a self imposed quarantine due some elderly family.
Petrino1
HollywoodBQ said:

For the past 10 years, I've been traveling to the SF Bay Area for work about every 3 months on average.
I've had a lot of other work trips across Asia and to other locations in the USA and Europe and of course Australia where I was living at the time.

Right now, I'm doing everything via Zoom conference and even opportunities to drive to customers offices is gone with the California "Safer at Home" mandate.

For a decade, I've been in a constant state of returning from one trip and planning the next one. With no travel in the foreseeable future, I don't know what to do with myself.

Anybody else having travel withdrawal?
Hollywood, same here buddy. As a fellow Puerto Rican, Im used to picking up and going to PR at moments notice for a quick weekend trip to see the family. I was planning on doing that sometime in March, now that I cant go I feel super trapped!

FancyKetchup14
AG
I'm torn. I was fortunate to put myself in a position where I was able to spend over 80% of 2019 abroad living out of a backpack. Although I want to go somewhere and travel - I think people who enjoy travel always want to go see something new and different - but right now I'm enjoying having my own space.

Now I just need to find a job...*nervous laughter*
JMac03
AG
I'm going through withdrawals of planning others vacations - all I have been doing is cancelling or rescheduling them.

We probably weren't planning on traveling until summer, so right now I personally haven't seen a change (came back from Dominican Republic 2 weeks ago)
TXCityAggie
AG
At least the prices for flight sin the fall all dropping to ridiculously low levels. I'm taking this opportunity to plan out the rest of my travels for the year. I just hope this whole thing is over by the summer.
HollywoodBQ
AG
TXCityAggie said:

At least the prices for flight sin the fall all dropping to ridiculously low levels. I'm taking this opportunity to plan out the rest of my travels for the year. I just hope this whole thing is over by the summer.
Agreed. I've got to take a one way trip from LAX to Virginia so I can retrieve my daughter's car from college and drive it back to California.

That would normally be a solid $700 one way. Now United is showing $210 one way.
HollywoodBQ
AG
ea1060 said:

Hollywood, same here buddy. As a fellow Puerto Rican, Im used to picking up and going to PR at moments notice for a quick weekend trip to see the family. I was planning on doing that sometime in March, now that I cant go I feel super trapped!
Now that I'm back in LA, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking forward to doing. Or, a weekend jaunt down to Cabo.
HollywoodBQ
AG
TXTransplant said:

We have a big trip to Alaska planned for early June. I'm doubtful we will be able to go.
If you do get up there, I want to put in a plug for one of my former hometowns - Valdez.
schmendeler
AG
just moved our trip for early may to early august. hopefully that is a safe date.

we haven't traveled since November of last year. we normally go in february to somewhere but that didn't work with our schedules this year.

we have another trip, this time with the kids, planned for early june, but that one is looking more and more doubtful as time goes by. we'll have to see.
BSD
AG
I have no less than a dozen personal trips planned (and booked) this year. And I have a preexisting condition that makes me nervous about traveling. My son and I are on a mission to see all 62 national parks and had 10 new ones on the calendar for this year. I guess I'll take it day by day and cancel as needed.
TXTransplant
BSD said:

I have no less than a dozen personal trips planned (and booked) this year. And I have a preexisting condition that makes me nervous about traveling. My son and I are on a mission to see all 62 national parks and had 10 new ones on the calendar for this year. I guess I'll take it day by day and cancel as needed.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my son and I can do Bryce, Zion, Escalante, and Antelope Canyon between Christmas and New Years. I don't dare book anything at this point, though. Too much $$$ tied up in the Alaska trip right now.
aggiedata
AG
Still a few good places to go

TexasAggie008
AG
Hypothetically- would twitter yell at someone who drove say 3 hours away from the city and went camping in the middle of nowhere at a place that was allowing it?
dcAg
Had a trip cancelled to go to Las Vegas with my buddies for the kick off of March Madness.
Canceled a trip to South Beach Miami with my girlfriend later next month.
Had to cancel trips to see my twin sons graduate from college. Clemson and Nashville.
I was supposed to go with my girlfriend next week to Amsterdam, Bruges & Brussels.
Going to have to cancel a trip to Las Vegas in mid May.
Still holding out that the Indy 500 still runs.
Oktoberfest planned for Munich in September/October that I hope still happens.

Those are only the trips off the top of my head. THIS SUX!!!
YouBet
AG
I absolutely do not miss any of my work travel.

I'm about to go nuts on personal travel though. We had to cancel our big overseas trip last year at the last minute and we've only taken 1 day off this year so far.

The one long weekend trip we had this year was cancelled too. Nothing else planned at moment until we know wth is going to happen.

1 freaking day off. However, I still have a job so will be thankful.
I Am A Critic
TexasAggie008 said:

Hypothetically- would twitter yell at someone who drove say 3 hours away from the city and went camping in the middle of nowhere at a place that was allowing it?
No, but your husband might.
Username checks out.
ORAggieFan
I've been traveling for work my entire career. I can always tell I need it after 3-4 weeks home. February was insane for me, so a little break was nice, but I'm definitely going a bit crazy. Was scheduled to go to Cabo April 12 and Dallas April 30, both for personal. So much for vacation....
Texaggie7nine
Wife and I ended our lease, put everything in storage and flew to Europe to live for 3 months while working from home in February. We got a full month in Lisbon and a week in the Canaries before everything shut down. Just got back to the US and now instead of going back to Houston we will be staying at a friends Airbnb in New Mexico just kind of feel like we are still traveling, even though we will be stuck in the house for at least 2 weeks.

If this whole social isolation thing goes on for the foreseeable future, hell we might just keep traveling around the US to different airbnbs. Just because you can't go out doesn't mean you can't travel.

7nine
gggmann
AG
I have a house in Surin, Thailand that I can't access. We just had the carport finished and were planning on buying a new truck this summer. Oh well...
maca1028
We were heading to visit friends in the UK late April and it's our only chance to make it before they move back to the states. Haven't cancelled our flight yet but one of the hotels just cancelled our reservation so it's just a matter of time before I shut the trip down. Sucks, we've been looking forward to it for a while and it was going to our first time overseas other than Hawaii. **** corona!
schmendeler
AG
maca1028 said:

We were heading to visit friends in the UK late April and it's our only chance to make it before they move back to the states. Haven't cancelled our flight yet but one of the hotels just cancelled our reservation so it's just a matter of time before I shut the trip down. Sucks, we've been looking forward to it for a while and it was going to our first time overseas other than Hawaii. **** corona!
you should definitely still go after this blows over!
TXCityAggie
AG
gggmann said:

I have a house in Surin, Thailand that I can't access. We just had the carport finished and were planning on buying a new truck this summer. Oh well...
What's the latest in Thailand? I have a trip planned for mid-June.
gggmann
AG
TXCityAggie said:

gggmann said:

They closed all borders as of the 25th. You either need to be a Thai National or have a valid work permit to enter.

Prior to that you had to have a medical certificate from a doctor w/ a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hrs of flying (impossible to get) and proof of health insurance of at least 100,000 USD covering COVID-19 in Thailand.
TXCityAggie
AG
gggmann said:

TXCityAggie said:

gggmann said:

They closed all borders as of the 25th. You either need to be a Thai National or have a valid work permit to enter.

Prior to that you had to have a medical certificate from a doctor w/ a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hrs of flying (impossible to get) and proof of health insurance of at least 100,000 USD covering COVID-19 in Thailand.

Wow. If things change would you mind posting? I am trying to keep up but things change so much.
Ag CPA
AG
Booked a Greek Disney cruise out of Rome yesterday for June 2021; feel kind of stupid doing it in this environment but hopefully things are different 14 months from now.

Have a vacation to Puerto Vallarta at the beginning of June that we are starting to worry about given Mexico's current ambivalence to the situation and the probability that things blow up there in the coming weeks; another trip to Costa Rica over Thanksgiving that we feel a little better about.
kyledr04
AG
I had 3 work trips (NY, Memphis, ABQ) canceled so far plus a conference at Disney in April. I expect our family Disney trip in May to be cancelled or rescheduled.
HollywoodBQ
AG
kyledr04 said:

I had 3 work trips (NY, Memphis, ABQ) canceled so far plus a conference at Disney in April. I expect our family Disney trip in May to be cancelled or rescheduled.
I spent the night in ABQ 7 weeks ago on my cross-country trip from Dallas to Los Angeles.
You ain't missin' nuthin'.

The second best part of that trip was stopping for dinner at a family Mexican restaurant on Route 66 in Santa Rosa, NM.

The best part was stopping by Canyon, TX and visiting with CanyonAg77 for a few minutes.

The worst part of that trip was stopping for lunch at Taco Bell in Gallup, NM. That town is a Mecca for homeless zombies.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.