Loyalty Programs after the Corona Virus

1,384 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by The Lost
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has there been anything written on what the airlines and hotels might do vis--vis their loyalty programs following the outbreak? I'm a bit concerned there's going to be a massive devaluation of points/miles forthcoming. This will really blow since I've been stashing them away for quite a while now with dreams of taking a badass vacation with my wife one day that we would never otherwise really be able to afford.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Probably depends on if the general public returns to flying right away, or if they're too scared.

Remember after 9/11, a lot of people were too afraid to fly and airlines cut back on capacity.

In terms of risk, there was zero chance another 9/11 was going to happen but, there's every chance the passenger seated behind you just connected on a flight from Wuhan. That perceived risk will keep a lot of amateur travellers at home.
Petrino1
I wasnt paying attention after 9/11 or 2008/2009, but from what I read on other boards airlines had a better valuation on points to encourage people to fly. I think the same thing will happen this time, but what do I know.
ORAggieFan
Why would they devalue points? They need people traveling.
bthotugigem05
AG
I guarantee you it's being discussed at airlines right now but the higher-level discussions aren't worrying about it right now, they're just trying to stay operating right now.
Squirrel Master
AG
Hilton just announced that everyone is getting a free year on their status levels. So if you earned status in 2019, were now expecting you'd lose it at end of 2020 since no one is traveling, you're getting an extra year of your same earned status for 2021. Pretty big for me. I'd also expect Marriott to follow suit.
The Lost
Squirrel Master said:

Hilton just announced that everyone is getting a free year on their status levels. So if you earned status in 2019, were now expecting you'd lose it at end of 2020 since no one is traveling, you're getting an extra year of your same earned status for 2021. Pretty big for me. I'd also expect Marriott to follow suit.
This is about the only way things will be "devalued". Most groups will probably give extensions, which will just mean more people as a whole have status, so unless you have had top status for a while, new people won't get as much benefits/upgrades. I doubt hotels really give a ***** The one I usually stay at for work sells out constantly each week and has like 12 suites so you're never going to get upgraded anyways. Sure on occasion for pleasure trips i'll get some slight upgrades, but the point multipliers are about all that are really nice.

United is the one to keep a close eye on. Their change in status qualification was done intentionally so that less people would qualify for higher status'. Knowing how they work, it wouldn't shock me if they just ran math and lowered the qualifications to still hit the targeted amount of people in each group they want. It's a much different thing for airlines than it is hotels in my opinion. They'll all do something, but its no guarantee that the airlines will do what the hotels do.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.