Hawaii Trip 5/7-5/17

1,910 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggiedata
aggiebonzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I have flights booked to go to Kauai and Oahu for vacation and a wedding. We booked the flights back in January and I am not sure if they are 100% refundable (American Airlines). I have held off on booking our AirBnB to see how the Coronavirus has affected travel and shutdowns but I don't want to wait last second either if we this all blows over. Do you think we should have to worry about potential flight cancellations in May and if not should we have to worry about any excursions being cancelled?
Matsui
AG
Yes. Very real.
Matsui
AG
I'd be concerned about everything being cancelled.
Matsui
AG
Unless you booked a refundable airfare ticket the airline is waiving change fees. You can cancel and rebook using those funds.
dcAg
You'll get credit for the trip and will be able to change the trip once without a fee. However you have to use the credit by the end of the year.
TXTransplant
We went to Hawaii in 2017 and 2018. I still follow a lot of the hotels and vendors we used in Oahu, Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island on Instagram.

The state has already asked for no incoming travelers for at least the next 30 days. Hotels are shutting down restaurants and services. Most of the vendors we did business with are suspending operations indefinitely.

RachAg2007
AG
My husband and I cancelled our trip to Kauai during the last week of April. There's just no way it's going to happen.
Austintm
RachAg2007 said:

My husband and I cancelled our trip to Kauai during the last week of April. There's just no way it's going to happen.
Kauai North shore is, again, dealing with massive flooding
archangelus2
AG
My wife and i are also booked 5/9-5/16 Kauai. I'm still holding out hope we can go but their are about a dozen things that could prevent us from going at this point. We are supposed to hike the North shore for 3 days and the state park has already shut that down on top of the aforementioned lock down on incoming travelers.

We have 4 young kids that we had all kinds of logistics planned out for people to take care of them while we were gone and I'm really not looking forward to having to plan all that again.
OasisMan
AG
Hoping to go at end of June to mid July
TXTransplant
Mandatory 14 day quarantine for any locals or visitors arriving in the islands starting March 26.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfgate.com/news/amp/Hawaii-to-quarantine-all-arrivals-to-the-state-15148588.php
Matsui
AG
I would cancel if I were you.
aggiebonzo
AG
I think we're going to cancel. What a bummer.
TXTransplant
Since it sounds like you haven't booked anything else but airfare, I'd wait to cancel. The airlines might cancel the flights for you. And getting through to anyone right now requires a ridiculously long wait. I tried to call Chase last night and was still on hold after 50 min. They really don't want to deal with anyone who isn't traveling in the next 72 hours.
OilManAg91
AG
I don't think going to Hawaii or anywhere else for that matter in the next 2 months is going to happen. I have a trip booked for late June / early July to northern Italy and Greece. That is 3 months away but I think the odds are less than 10% that I will get to go on the trip.
tamc93
AG
aggiebonzo said:

I think we're going to cancel. What a bummer.
Probably a good idea.

My daughter is trying to get back now...she has been on multiple flights that keep getting canceled. Thankfully Delta has been very accommodating in rerouting her automatically, but she has yet to get on the plane to head to the mainland.

At least from there, we will have more options. Hard to get in a boat to go get her.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
aggiedata
AG
confusing

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.