Read the fine print, travel vouchers

1,491 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by lawless89
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had my family booked on frontier, flying back from houston on 4/12. I paid like $350 for the 4 of us, right now that same flight is $15. So I thought, heck I'm gonna cancel, then buy it again at the new low price and have ~$200 in travel credit remaining on frontier that I have 90 days to book a trip for later this year.

A few fine print caveats, that I noticed on the faq email after I canceled it:
*Credits are one-time use, meaning there will be no remaining value after redemption.
*Credits are non-transferable and may only be redeemed in the name of the passenger to whom it was issued.
*The name on the new reservation using the credit must match the old reservation exactly.

Soooo.. basically re-booking the same trip for $15 would net me nothing. I'd forfeit the remaining few hundred bucks. Then I thought well I'll use the $200 for maybe a quick kidless getaway w/ wife.. nope, names all have to match. I could use wife and me credit, but kids credit would go to waste.

My best bet now is to book all 4 of us again to maybe go see my bro in the bay area. Flights in June/July to SFO are like $30-$50.

Case in point, make sure you read the fine print.

I also wanted to do the same with United (our flight to IAH on the 10th), but I booked myself and 1 child on points, and they are not waiving the $125 point reinstatement fee if you cancel. however, I can book another flight that day and get the point credit (since I used 12.5k/ea and they are only 5k ea now.)
TXTransplant
I really believe the airlines are going to have to change their stupid policies. Spirit's is one of the strictest.

They already have a very limited flight schedule, and I'm sure that's going to become even more limited, even after things settle down and we are comfortable traveling again.

There is no way they are going to have enough flights available in the next 90 days for everyone to rebook. And for those who do try to rebook, my bet is a lot of the fights between when this is over and the end of the year get cancelled.

Of course, I heard earlier that Spirit sent an email to customers saying "Now is the best time to fly" because ticket prices are so cheap.

With that kind of mentality, they may cease to exist once this is over.

With that said, anyone tried to rebook flights purchased through the Chase portal, either with points or cash? I'm not eligible for anything yet because my flights aren't until late May/early June. I'm just curious how they are handling things for when my turn comes.
62strat
AG
yeh united is a bit more flexible; if you cancel, you have until about the end of the year to rebook. Frontier allows you to fly until the end of year, but only 90 to rebook, which is pretty tight considering all this is still getting worse by the day.

Frontier is also offering $200 voucher if you sign up for their frontier den program (which is like $60).

Aggiemike96
AG
Piece of cake changing my Southwest flights to get the lower price. $1,000 in future credits ready to go!
chris1515
AG
I have Spirit credits from a trip to Vegas for March Madness. I'm skeptical they will even be around, or the credit would survive a bankruptcy filing. Maybe it will all be ok.
lawless89
Cancelled six AA flights and they didn't give me crap.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.