Page, AZ

2,277 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgRyan04
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Other than Antelope Canyon, is there anything else to do near there? The Wave is full and Navajo Nation just cancelled all tours.

TXTransplant
There is a river rafting trip that you can take to Horseshoe Bend. They put you in the river at the bottom of the Glen Canyon Dam. When we went, you could do 1/2 day or full day trips. It's a beautiful ride, but I would be surprised if it's operating right now, given what's going on.

You can also hike along the dam and the rim of the canyon to view Horseshoe Bend from above. And then there is Lake Powell, the reservoir created by the dam.
Dr.Rumack
Is that anywhere near Why, AZ? You should definitely check that out on your trip.
BSD
AG
We'll definitely stop by and see Horseshoe Bend. We had two tours planned: Antelope and Canyon X. Both cancelled. Are there any other cool slot canyons that don't need a tour to access? We are coming from Zion in the morning.

BSD
AG
Dr.Rumack said:

Is that anywhere near Why, AZ? You should definitely check that out on your trip.

Ok, ok, I'll play...

Why?
AgRyan04
We hiked a portion of Buckskin Gulch which is part of the Grand Escallante Staircase, not too far from Page....I think the slot canyon we did was called Wire Pass.

Here is a link I had saved for the next time we're in that area: https://thedyrt.com/magazine/local/stunning-utah-slot-canyons/

I also have Hanging Garden Trail (in Glen Canyon National Rec Area) on our list as a short hike there if we were just passing through and needed to stretch our legs.

Have fun!
BSD
AG
Nice!!! That's perfect. Our other option was a 4 hour diversion to Bryce. Don't get me wrong, I love Bryce, but that's a lot of extra driving for a day that already has 4 hours built in on its own.
AgRyan04
Great - glad that helped!

Let me know if any of those are great or duds
bthotugigem05
AG
Drive over to Monument, not too far away
BSD
AG
Thought about it but it's 4 hours round trip. We already have 4 hours in a car that day (Zion to Grand Canyon).
NoHo Hank
AG
Kayaking, paddle boarding, boating on Lake Powell is great. Camping on the beach there is one of my good memories. Some fun hiking around the lake too.
VikingNik
AG
Headed there this summer from Seattle area. Any way to fly there or am I just going to make this a 19 hour road trip?
TXTransplant
VikingNik said:

Headed there this summer from Seattle area. Any way to fly there or am I just going to make this a 19 hour road trip?

Not to Page. You could fly to PHX. It's about a 5-6 hour drive, IIRC. Or you could fly to St. George, UT. I think that's about a 2-3 hour drive. St. George is a regional airport, though, so limited flights, and they are expensive (at least from IAH).
BSD
AG
Well the weather sucked today so we went to Bryce (where it snowed vs rain). We're at the Grand Canyon now. The drive from Kanab to Page looks promising so I'll be taking all these suggestions down for a future trip. Thanks, y'all!
nosoupforyou
AG
just now seeing this and having just done this type of trip last summer I have several ideas

what's left on your itinerary? where are you headed next and I can offer some suggestions
BSD
AG
The snow finally up so we saw the Grand Canyon. Tomorrow we'll hit the meteor crater and Petrified forest on our way to Amarillo (or ABQ if my wife gets tired of the car). Then on to Houston. I think my wife wants to power through so who knows if we'll do much else. She already ruled out Monument Valley and Four Corners. But that is quite far off the path. So I get it.
BSD
AG
And oh man. They closed the road from Cameron to GC so we had to drive down to Flagstaff and then up...in a blizzard...at night. I almost audibled a kill but the blizzard let up and the stormed stopped as we pulled into a hotel in Flagstaff. What a trip!!!
nosoupforyou
AG
wow - way to pivot as needed

just south of Amarillo is Palo Duro Canyon - be sure to stop by there on your way through - it's huge! not grand canyon huge but another nice stop on the way back to Houston. THere's a nice short hike called the Lighthouse hike that you can do
BSD
AG
Because of the long drive, we drove Amarillo to Houston straight, stopping only for food, gas, and bathrooms. With all that's going on, and a preexisting condition, we felt it was best to get home and relieve some of the stress!!! I am definitely heading back to Page and Kanab, though. Lots of great info y'all gave that I want to check out. Thanks!
AgRyan04
Since we cant get out right now, I've spent most of this afternoon lustfully watching YouTube videos of northern Arizona/Southern Utah hiking videos and thought I'd add to this thread for future reference.

There is a YouTuber, Jerry Arizona, who looks like he is based out of Phoenix and covers a lot of day hikes in this area. He also has a good video on how the permitting works for The Wave.

I also stumbled upon Zebra Slot Canyon that is pretty cool

https://www.earthtrekkers.com/hike-zebra-slot-canyon-grand-staircase-escalante/
BSD
AG
Nice!

As a side note, I was just looking at property in Springdale. This quarantine stuff needs to end or I'm gonna do something totally stupid and yet awesome.
AgRyan04
For real!

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I wouldn't mind living in Flagstaff....3 hours or less to A LOT of incredible hiking and 6 hours or less to Joshua Tree, Capitol Reef, Moab, Death Valley, Grand Canyon
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.