Family Vacation to CO Next Week

5,058 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Phat32
rononeill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Flying out Saturday. Personally, I feel the health risk is low; but getting anxious about logistics in getting home, airports, etc. What are yalls thoughts?
Drip99
AG
I am driving Friday to Pagosa to ski wolf creek for spring break. I feel ok as there are no cases reported in that area yet which likely means very little since we are not testing. F

If the situation gets out of control you can rent a car and drive home but i think domestic air will be fine and much less crowded.
rononeill
and we'll have a rental; so worst case we just take it back to the Tine...
TXTransplant
My son flew to his dad's this past Saturday and is supposed to fly back this coming Sunday. The airport wasn't a ghost town, but there were a lot fewer people than I expected considering it was the first Saturday of Spring Break.

I don't expect airports to close, but just in case CoH makes that decision, I texted his dad and told him we'd have to meet somewhere to drive him home.

If the airport is open, no question, I'll let him fly home. He knows what to do to avoid germs.
DuncanAg
AG
We are flying to Steamboat (Hayden) on Friday. I'm not worried about the air travel necessarily (can rent a car etc) but wondering if Colorado gets crazy and decides ski resorts constitute large gatherings and shut them down.
RachAg2007
AG
As a resident of a Colorado ski town, shutting down ski resorts would be incredibly impactful to the economy. I don't see Colorado going that route but I guess you never know.

I flew Denver-Nashville-Denver this past weekend. I've never seen so much hand sanitizer, just a few masks, but overall a normal amount of activity.
Retired Principal
AG
We are at Beaver Creek. No lift lines. Ski right up. Virus already having impact according to folks here. Lots of cancellations.
Drip99
AG
Anyone going in the next few days further considering cancelling?
Fairview
AG
I live in the Vail Valley and from a day to day perspective stuff seems to be normal. I'm on the board of some youth sports organizations and a bunch of that stuff is about to be cancelled. Governor Polis told people to avoid the high country yesterday because they are worried about it exploding here with limited med facilities.

Talked this morning to some business owners and they are pretty worried but the place I grabbed breakfast from was packed. They said they are more worried about supply chain disruptions.
Drip99
AG
Fairview said:

I live in the Vail Valley and from a day to day perspective stuff seems to be normal. I'm on the board of some youth sports organizations and a bunch of that stuff is about to be cancelled. Governor Polis told people to avoid the high country yesterday because they are worried about it exploding here with limited med facilities.

Talked this morning to some business owners and they are pretty worried but the place I grabbed breakfast from was packed. They said they are more worried about supply chain disruptions.

That doesn't sound very good if the gov is stating stay away
RachAg2007
AG
RE: Steamboat Springs. There are no confirmed cases of coronavirus in Steamboat Springs or Routt County.
Local government is relying on social media and their websites to provide the best and most updated information so if you are visiting Steamboat Springs or any other ski resort in Colorado, I recommend following their social media channels.

There was an informative article in the newspaper today if anyone is interested: https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/towns-across-routt-county-stepping-up-covid-19-preparations/
Fairview
AG
JesusQuintana said:

Fairview said:

That doesn't sound very good if the gov is stating stay away

I went back and double checked his quote - For clarity he said over 60 and / or with underlying conditions. So not as strong as don't come.

They did just cancel all after school activities including all sports until 4/3. They also sent a survey out to people with kids in school here about each students capability to go virtual.
JustPanda
AG
Lifelong Vail resident and ive never seen it this empty during TX spring break week. No even close.

Vail pulled their full year guidance and from the rumblings it wouldn't surprise me if they closed the season early.

Our net bookings are down 65% with multiple conferences canceling. i typically have a daily volume btwn BC and Vail of about 275-300 people. The last 2 weeks, I havent had that number....total.

Mexico seems to be the area that's still visiting.

It's about to get brutal around here. Really really brutal.

If you aren't worried about the virus, it's a great time to come. No doubt.
Drip99
AG
I think we are cancelling our trip to wolf creek. Sucks but after talking to my sister n law who runs a medical practice I just can't take any additional risks with my family and community. I am surprised the resorts are still open to be honest. It pretty much goes against the whole social distancing theory that the medical community is preaching.
DuncanAg
AG
We just canceled our trip to Steamboat. Wife got the flu earlier this week, is doing better, but made us realized is just not worth it. I wouldn't be surprised if the ski resorts close early. My other fear is getting stuck without a rental car.

Drip99
AG
With Disney world now closing it seems the ski resorts are the last major public places to remain open
The Lost
JesusQuintana said:

I think we are cancelling our trip to wolf creek. Sucks but after talking to my sister n law who runs a medical practice I just can't take any additional risks with my family and community. I am surprised the resorts are still open to be honest. It pretty much goes against the whole social distancing theory that the medical community is preaching.

I mean with the amount of people cancelling, distancing will be easy. You could just limit food openings on the mountain. Otherwise limiting amounts of people on chairs is easy. That's about the only time you're near another human.
Drip99
AG
Yes but I have a 14 year old daughter born premature with lung issues who is likely healed now and my mother n law lives with us and she is 75 with asthma. We are likely fine but there is risk and I struggle as the adult head of household making that better safe than sorry decision. My kids are crying right now and it's killing me.
The Lost
JesusQuintana said:

Yes but I have a 14 year old daughter born premature with lung issues who is likely healed now and my mother n law lives with us and she is 75 with asthma. We are likely fine but there is risk and I struggle as the adult head of household making that better safe than sorry decision. My kids are crying right now and it's killing me.

Oh I get you not going, was really commenting on shutting down resorts
Drip99
AG
The Lost said:

JesusQuintana said:

Oh I get you not going, was really commenting on shutting down resorts

I think the resorts shutting down is a matter of time. The gov already issued a warning. I hope I'm wrong but if they get more cases in the high country I can see them calling it for the season
2wealfth Man
AG
Leaving tomorrow for Breck. No health issues for any of us so we are going. We are now driving instead of flying; gives us more flexibility to change plans on the fly if need be. We have a rented house and will probably avoid the crowded mountain restaurants and hang at home when not actually skiing. I think we can make it work in a prudent manner.
DuncanAg
AG
I think switching to driving is the smart move as it relates to flexibility
Fairview
AG
Eagle county just outlawed any gathering over 50 people with the exceptions being schools, airports and lift lines so local government is doing what they can to allow them to stay open. No clue if they will or not.
JustPanda
AG
My manager today said it best, "if this lasts into the summer, we'll all be looking for a job." I'm probs gonna pick up a second just so that I have some cover if they start shedding shifts at my FT. Luckily I have a lot of PTO so I have some cover.
Post removed:
by user
JustPanda
AG
72 new cases in Colorado. Two vail SP tested positive today. Both were at the picnic earlier in the week.

No ski patrol - no mountain.
The Lost

They're trying hard to keep em open
JustPanda
AG
Gus from Gus' Snowboard shop in Vail called Gov JP out for the non-sense. Let him have the facts about why ski hills arent the issue. Love that guy. He was spot on.
Fairview
AG
JustPanda - I spoke to some friends that work on the mountain and they think they are going to try to stay open another week for the spring break week coming up and then probably call it. Have you heard anything?
Scantron882
AG
We got back yesterday from Winter Park, it was not that crowded no waits on lifts more than 3 minutes and most were immediate rides.

The worst part i felt about potential exposures on the trip was on the airport terminal train in Denver on our arrival, it coincided with a shift change with the airport workers adding to the travelers making the last leg of that ride wall to wall people. The second was in the ski resort locker room, it was pretty crowded in there during the morning and end of day time periods throughout our days there.

all the local restaurants/shops we visited were doing steady business.

JustPanda
AG
Something close. I heard mid/late next week. Wouldn't surprise me if Sunday was the last. I think they want to keep it open the extra week but so much is already closed. Segundo, Sweet Basil, Vendettas, etc etc are already closed. Grand Hyatt isn't taking new visitors, Arrabelle is closing too. Buddy runs a rental shop and their net res dropped from 63 to 5 this morning. Writings on the wall - Jah feel?

Gonna be an early mud season. I hope things come back early summer and get traveling

I snagged my monthly EBT from CityMsrk on Saturday and grabed paper towels, **** paper, pbr, pasta noodles etc just in case. If you need anything, lmk.
rononeill
Panda and Fairview- are y'all talking vail area or gus' shop?
Fairview
AG
rononeill said:

Panda and Fairview- are y'all talking vail area or gus' shop?

Vail (and Beaver Creek).
JustPanda
AG
Welp, I'm the one standing of my friend group that's work still has him showing up daily. Thank the lord. Everyone else in F&B/Hosp just got the telescope till June 8th. I think being in Avon vs vail is helping since we don't have the current bad press and case numbers as our entitled neighbors through dowd (jk I live in west vailginia).

Hearing f&b hosp and tourism industry employees can file for 4 days sick time through the state and then file for unemployment after that runs dry. Luckily, I've saved up close to 100 PTO/Sick days just as a precaution in case some **** like this happened.

add Russell's mountain standard etc to the above list. Here a running from the VD.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/vails-sweet-basil-closes-due-to-employees-positive-test-for-coronavirus/

If you can send us some prayers. It's about to get really really dicey as the whole valleys depends on the mountain to ends meet. Match/April are hay months and without them, good people are ****ed. We haven't seen something like this in the 34 years ive been living here.
JustPanda
AG
Zachs Cabin - 3 employees +
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.