Corona Virus and International travel

43,322 Views | 431 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Phat32
chiken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are your thoughts? I know people are investing in travel insurance but I'm wondering how many people are just avoiding travel as a precaution.

I have a one week trip to Paris booked 4/25 and seriously considering canceling. I would be traveling with two 70 year olds and their daughter/ my best friend. We are both worried about their health especially because of their age.

What are your thoughts about international travel right now?
90 bull
AG
I leave for Thailand tomorrow. We aren't worried about it, but we are in our 50's. Older and younger people are a concern
Slim Isle
You couldn't pay me to go. I'm not going anywhere near a bus, train, plane or anywhere for that matter.
Fairview
AG
I think it's still too early to decide on a trip that far out. I have one with the family around that time and I'm not changing anything yet. I was on 5 domestic flights last week and besides being extra vigilant about washing hands and wiping off the seat area it was business as usual.
craigernaught
AG
Wash your hands. You'll be fine.

I'd be more worried about car accidents.

Edit: Yeah, maybe do more than wash your hands.
Spore Ag
Flew to Santiago, Chili yesterday. Only people with face masks were Asians. Oh and a few protesters at the Baquadano train stations

Hand washing and keep your hands from your face.
Texaggie7nine
We are flying from Portugal to Tenerife on saturday. The hotel that is quarantined is on the south side of the island, we are staying on the west side. It was just one confirmed case (now up to 4 cases but all Italians in the same group) but even if several cases come out of that hotel from that one Italian we are still going.

We bought the extra medical insurance with our international plane tickets. Worst case, we get the virus and in Italy it's showing around a 2 to 3 % mortality rate.

I like our chances.
7nine
KaneIsAble
AG
Leaving for Playa Mujeres in 10 days; kind of wish I had bought the insurance now but oh well - to late.

Edit - I'm ASSUMING it's too late but would love to be corrected.
Furlock Bones
AG
my wife and i are going to Paris 4/16. so, we are in the same boat trying to decide what to do.
Texaggie7nine
Don't know if you can buy through the airline, but there are several private companies that offer overseas insurance. Just do a google search.

Also, all the airlines I have booked overseas usually has the ability to modify the booking if you want to add on anything like upgrade seats ect.
7nine
KaneIsAble
AG
Thanks - working through that now. The plane tickets are only 17% of the total trip cost and I'd be just fine with losing those but having the hotel refunded.
TXCityAggie
AG
I have a 23 day trip to Thailand planned in June/July. Right now I am not concerned, but I'll definitely keep an eye on things. The only way I won't go on the trip is if travel to the country is banned or requires some kind of quarantine when I return.
Post removed:
by user
Texaggie7nine
Yeah, that part sucks for the tourists at that hotel in Tenerife. Luckily we are staying way out at a cottage house that is pretty isolated on the island.
7nine
Hincemm
AG
KaneIsAble said:

Leaving for Playa Mujeres in 10 days; kind of wish I had bought the insurance now but oh well - to late.

go to allianz and see if there any options
Clever&FunnyAg
AG
We're going to Mallorca and Paris in April and aren't really concerned about it. Maybe for a 70-year old I'd consider not traveling.

We both also travel every week for work, NYC - Philly for me and NYC - Seattle for my wife. I feel like we're more likely to contract coronavirus in our weekly travel
gggmann
AG
TXCityAggie said:

I have a 23 day trip to Thailand planned in June/July. Right now I am not concerned, but I'll definitely keep an eye on things. The only way I won't go on the trip is if travel to the country is banned or requires some kind of quarantine when I return.
My family and I spend the summers in Thailand. I haven't booked our flights yet as I'm still waiting to see how this plays out. The biggest concern is the large number of Chinese tourists that come into the Country due to their travel agreements. I don't expect the Thai government to have good controls in place just because they don't really manage anything w/ tourists well. I did see that UAE banned travel to/from Thailand - I wonder if they traced some cases back to there.
Austintm
Furlock Bones said:

my wife and i are going to Paris 4/16. so, we are in the same boat trying to decide what to do.
We leave 4/15. It's 7 weeks away at this point, so hard to say or predict what will be at issue that far ahead.
TXCityAggie
AG
gggmann said:

TXCityAggie said:

My family and I spend the summers in Thailand. I haven't booked our flights yet as I'm still waiting to see how this plays out. The biggest concern is the large number of Chinese tourists that come into the Country due to their travel agreements. I don't expect the Thai government to have good controls in place just because they don't really manage anything w/ tourists well. I did see that UAE banned travel to/from Thailand - I wonder if they traced some cases back to there.
My friends in Thailand said the Chinese tourists are nonexistent right now. I don't know if they were banned, if China banned then from leaving, or they just stopped traveling on their own. The Thai beaches minus Chinese tourists sounds like heaven! That's one of the main reasons I'm not going to cancel unless forced to.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
TXCityAggie said:

gggmann said:

TXCityAggie said:

My friends in Thailand said the Chinese tourists are nonexistent right now. I don't know if they were banned, if China banned then from leaving, or they just stopped traveling on their own. The Thai beaches minus Chinese tourists sounds like heaven! That's one of the main reasons I'm not going to cancel unless forced to.
find a way to keep the Ruskies out too and it would be perfect.
Post removed:
by user
OilManAg91
AG
Headed to London on Friday for a week. Not worried about getting sick, any more than getting the flu here. Maybe a little worried about getting into a quarantine situation on the flight or at the hotel, but that is a very low risk. 6,000+ people from 85+ countries are coming to Houston for a conference in early March so I'm just as likely to get sick from them coming here than from me going to London.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I leave March 11 for 2 weeks in Thailand. Not worried at all.
JMac03
AG
I haven't read through all of the responses - but please note that most insurance companies do not cover epidemics and definitely do not cover canceling because you are scared. If you have cancel for any reason - then yes you could cancel but those are usually only reimbursed at 50-75% of the trip cost.

Almost every insurance provider I work with are issuing statements about not covering coronavirus. So make sure if you purchase it, you ask.

This is the wording for one of my suppliers that came out:

Quote:

If a customer's travel is delayed due to quarantine or a travel carrier delay, they may be eligible to be reimbursed for covered expenses incurred as a result of that delay, depending on and as specified in their plan.

(then a string about cruises)

Again, please note, most plans including Cancel Anytime plans, contain general exclusions from coverage for loss directly or indirectly due to any loss, condition or event that was known or foreseeable when the plan was purchased, or due to epidemic. Further most plans contain a general exclusion from coverage for losses directly or indirectly due to acts, travel alerts/bulletins, or prohibition of any government or public authority except as expressly covered. As such, travelers should review their plan and contact us with questions.

JMac03
AG
KaneIsAble said:

It is too late to be covered for Coronavirus. It is not to late to have delayed travel, or medical issues while traveling covered.
JMac03
AG
I attended some training last week and the most affected people are 60-80 years old. Deaths under 30 years of age are VERY VERY low. It starts picking up at 40+. I think 70-80+ were the largest impacted.
Post removed:
by user
BrokeAssAggie
JMac03 said:

I attended some training last week and the most affected people are 60-80 years old. Deaths under 30 years of age are VERY VERY low. It starts picking up at 40+. I think 70-80+ were the largest impacted.
So just like the flu....
Hoyt Ag
AG
Flight is still showing through Taipei. I call the airline daily and they said not cancelled yet. Will keep monitoring it though. A friend of mine landed Sunday on same flight with just longer lines in Taipei.
Spore Ag
Sorry for being callous, ignorant or stupid but now is the time to go. Take precautions, be healthy and avoid this insipid hysteria.

I did China during SARS and it was great.

Post removed:
by user
chiken
AG
Thank you for al of the responses!
Spore Ag
10,000 cases of flu died in the USA alone last year. Come on.
Always_Right
AG
Spore Ag said:

10,000 cases of flu died in the USA alone last year. Come on.
The freakout over this Coronavirus is hysterical and I work in the medical field. If you are really that worried, get an N-95 mask and wash your hands, thats basically the protocol that medical professionals would use at our hospital if someone showed up with the virus. Enjoy your trips people!
90 bull
AG
I am sitting at the gate in Tokyo to fly to Bangkok. 90% of the people are wearing masks, but no issues so far.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.