United Explorer vs United Club Card

2,444 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by davido
Gus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Flying overseas for the first time (Italy most likely) in 2022 with another couple. The other couple has been several times and use United so I was looking at their credit cards for racking up miles. They suggested the Club Card for the miles and perks but I saw the annual fee is $450 vs no fee first year and $95 annual fee for the Explorer. I understand you get 1.5x vs 1x points per $ with the Club and club access and baggage passes with the club card but any other perks to justify the big annual fee?

We don't normally fly United much and this would be strictly for the one trip so what's my best option?

Also, can spouses have separate mileage cards with the same airline?

TIA
JMac03
AG
I would just do the $95 one - that is what I have and it helps for free bags and 2 United passes. If you are not a frequent traveler, I see no benefit to paying the $450 one.

Also, I just got the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, so I now have access to other lounges/dining options, so even less incentive for me to do the $450 one.
TXCityAggie
AG
Another option is the Capitol One Venture Card, which has a nice bonus if you spend 3,000 in the first three months. You also get double points. They are not a direct partner with United, but you can transfer miles to Avianca Life Miles and book your flight on United with them since they are a partner airline. There have been some really good deals on United flights with Life Miles recently. Just something to look into. I fly United pretty regularly but I don't use the United card much anymore.
Danger Mouse
AG
As a frequent flyer, the Club card has been a huge benefit.
Jock 07
AG
Club card also gets you priority access but if it's just for one flight you don't really need that
JMac03
AG
Jock 07 said:

Club card also gets you priority access but if it's just for one flight you don't really need that
The $95 card gets you boarding group 2.
blue70
I think the $95 one. You get the normal lounge too. I remember getting it when they gave you points and waived the $95 the first year. That is the only reason I got it. I think I may get rid of it eventually. I agree with the person who said the Capital One card.
Jock 07
AG
JMac03 said:

Jock 07 said:

The $95 card gets you boarding group 2.

Sorry meant to say the club card gets you premier access
Petrino1
TXCityAggie said:

Another option is the Capitol One Venture Card, which has a nice bonus if you spend 3,000 in the first three months. You also get double points. They are not a direct partner with United, but you can transfer miles to Avianca Life Miles and book your flight on United with them since they are a partner airline. There have been some really good deals on United flights with Life Miles recently. Just something to look into. I fly United pretty regularly but I don't use the United card much anymore.
Im not sure this is good advice. Capitalone miles dont transfer 1:1 like AMEX, Citi, or Chase cards, so your miles are devalued. For example, Capitalone transfers 2:1.5 to Avianca, so 37,600 Capitalone miles equates to 28,200 Avianca miles. Youre better off getting the Citi Premier or AMEX cards which transfer 1:1 to Avianca. I do like using Avianca life miles to book United fights, there are some good deals, and the fuel surcharge is cheaper. The Avianca card was offering a 60k sign up last year, which I took advantage of.

I think the OP's best option is to get the cheaper United card, or get the Chase Sapphire Preferred which transfers 1:1 to United. No need to mess around with using other star alliance partners (Avianca) until you start running out of cards to sign up for.
TXCityAggie
AG
It has been my experience that, because you get double miles with Capitol One, it works out better to frequently use that card rather than the United Card. Even though the miles transfer 2:1.5 to Avianca, the double miles more than make up for it. Just my experience.

Since the OP said he doesn't fly United often, it doesn't really seem to make sense to get a United Card. He should get something with more options for using the acquired miles.
62strat
AG
Haven't had any responses in churning thread so I'll ask here.

Can you get a sign up bonus for jade united club card and chase united explorer card within 24 months?
62strat
AG
JMac03 said:

Also, I just got the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, so I now have access to other lounges/dining options, so even less incentive for me to do the $450 one.
is this priority pass?
Did you recently lose access to non lounge locations like my Amex card did? For example timberline grill at DEN?
JMac03
AG
62strat said:

JMac03 said:

is this priority pass?
Did you recently lose access to non lounge locations like my Amex card did? For example timberline grill at DEN?

Yes it is Priority Pass. While I just got it, from what I can tell nothing was lost. (I think it says this on the travel blogs too). I recently used the $28 x 2 meal at Landry's in IAH this past week and the Club Las in Vegas. Everything worked great. I also activated Lyft Pink, which is normally $19.99/month - you get it free for a year. I do not use Uber/Lyft much but it saved me 15% on the rides.
62strat
AG
Must be an Amex thing. We had 3x$28 off but then all locations went away that were just food only including the only spot in our home airport. It only works at lounges now.
JMac03
AG
62strat said:

Must be an Amex thing. We had 3x$28 off but then all locations went away that were just food only including the only spot in our home airport. It only works at lounges now.
Yes. I read Amex did away with the restaurant credits this year. Maybe it's time to switch. If you want me to look at any specific airport let me know. I think most are 2x$28 not 3 people.
kyledr04
AG
I fly United almost monthly and still just have the explorer card. I usually end up with status. I'd like club access but my company won't cover it. They will cover other expenses so I'm not paying for the club out of pocket. I hang on to my 2 passes in case I get stuck somewhere.
The Lost
I have the club card, but that's because I fly weekly and it's nice before my evening flights home and in case of delays. I wouldn't recommend it for what you're doing. The explorer card is all you need.

The main benefit of it over a chase Safire type card is that United gives different pricing for rewards for people with a branded card.
Cyprian
AG
JMac03 said:

62strat said:

Yes. I read Amex did away with the restaurant credits this year. Maybe it's time to switch. If you want me to look at any specific airport let me know. I think most are 2x$28 not 3 people.

Yea, amex plat benefits aren't as good for me anymore, I used that PP credit often enough for example it was nice for a family of 4. Unless things change, I'll probably drop this one come AF time.
Cyprian
AG
To OP, I agree about the 95 one being right for you. Club card is good if you fly a ton of united flights. I am tempted to get the Club card just for the sign up bonus, and even tho I fly mostly united via Houston, I don't think I would hold that card long term.
62strat
AG
Cyprian said:

To OP, I agree about the 95 one being right for you. Club card is good if you fly a ton of united flights. I am tempted to get the Club card just for the sign up bonus, and even tho I fly mostly united via Houston, I don't think I would hold that card long term.
I wouldn't even say a 'ton'.

My family generally takes two trips a year; summer vacay and to Houston to visit family. Sometimes a third.

Wife and I generally have 1 or 2 kidless trips a year.
I fly another 2-3 round trips for random stuff.

Considering our two kids, that's 16-24 club passes for family trips, 4 or 8 passes for wife and me, and 4-6 solo passes.

So 24-38 passes, for $450?

yeh that's a good deal IMO, considering wife and I at least get 1 drink at airport just about always, and we all get to eat. I wouldn't call that a ton of flying.

Now, the coverage isn't all that great. We're flying in Tampa this summer instead of Orlando, so missing out on that trip on the FL side.
The Lost
62strat said:

Cyprian said:

My family generally takes two trips a year; summer vacay and to Houston to visit family. Sometimes a third.

Considering our two kids, that's 16-24 club passes for family trips, 4 or 8 passes for wife and me, and 4-6 solo passes.

yeh that's a good deal IMO, considering wife and I at least get 1 drink at airport just about always, and we all get to eat. I wouldn't call that a ton of flying.

Now, the coverage isn't all that great. We're flying in Tampa this summer instead of Orlando, so missing out on that trip on the FL side.

It still depends on your travel style. For my business travel I have been to the club once before a flight, and only because it was delayed. I use it weekly on the way home because if I can leave the site early, I'm going to. It's also useful to take calls after I land if it's close.

On leisure trips I get to the airport as close to boarding as possible and will only use it if delayed. It's not worth it if that's how you travel.

It's also a snack, not eating.
Danger Mouse
AG
1. I would consider myself to be a shade under being classified as a frequent traveler (I usually have at least 10+ annual RTs at 25-50k miles).

2. I live near the airport (IAD).

3. I prefer to arrive at the gate early in order to reduce the chances of having to rush. One of my pet peeves with travel is having to rush, which is a sign of being ill-prepared for the trip and increasing the likelihood of and/or forgetting something.

4. Having a United Club membership gives me the luxury of relaxing in the lounge until boarding time.
62strat
AG
The Lost said:

62strat said:

Cyprian said:

It still depends on your travel style. For my business travel I have been to the club once before a flight, and only because it was delayed. I use it weekly on the way home because if I can leave the site early, I'm going to. It's also useful to take calls after I land if it's close.

On leisure trips I get to the airport as close to boarding as possible and will only use it if delayed. It's not worth it if that's how you travel.

It's also a snack, not eating.
My context was with my kids.. they are elementary school aged, so I can't travel to/from airport as efficiently/last minute as I do when solo.

Sure it's snack food, but a 5 and 6 year old can and will make a meal out of it. We can also be assured we can find power for their devices which are inevitably low on battery.

If wife and I are traveling kidless we are likely going on a trip that involves drinking, so we actually are anxious to get to the airport as early as we can hah. I'd rather sit in club for 2 hours before flight sipping on drinks then wait until last minute and be rushed to catch flight. The vacation starts when we sit down without kids and drink in hand in that club!
davido
AG
What's the annual spending break even on the Explorer $99 vs Club $499?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.