"Bucket List" trip suggestions

3,224 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jock 07
LGBFJB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you could take virtually any trip in the world where would you go??

Background: I made "President's Club" at my job last year which comes with a bucket list trip for me and my wife. There are about 10 couples that will be making the trip. We were supposed to go to the Four Seasons in Vietnam in April....but with the Coronavirus situation the company is looking to go somewhere with less risk.

Last year we went to Four Seasons in Hawaii and before that we did the Four Seasons in Bora Bora (which was absolutely amazing btw).

Ruling out Hawaii and Bora Bora...if you could go just about anywhere in the world...at the company's expense....where would you want to go??
Harry Stone
AG
new zealand
FancyKetchup14
AG
I second NZ.

Japan would be up there for me, but you got the Coronavirus issue.

Somewhere in Africa where I could do a safari on the company dime.

LGBFJB
AG
NZ would be cool to see. Have either of you been there? Recommendations on where in NZ?

I would love the African Safari too...but unfortunately that is not a possibility. Just about anything else is on the table though.
TXTransplant
Franklins said:

NZ would be cool to see. Have either of you been there? Recommendations on where in NZ?

I would love the African Safari too...but unfortunately that is not a possibility. Just about anything else is on the table though.

There is a show on PBS called "Samantha Brown's Places to Love". She's done two episodes on NZ, but the most recent one that aired a couple of weeks ago blew me away. It's worth a watch.

https://www.pbs.org/video/top-of-the-south-island-nz-tuo4m0/
Kool
AG
Franklins said:

I went to New Zealand several years ago and spent two weeks on the South Island. I can't say enough about its beauty. It's easy to get around, and the people are very friendly as well. The only thing at all difficult is getting used to driving on the opposite side of the road. We just rented a car in Christchurch and made a counter clockwise trip around the island - to the wine country, to Abel Tasman, down the west coast to the glaciers, then across to Queenstown and then to the Milford Track. It's a long flight to get there, but it's worth it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BrokeAssAggie
Maldives
Harry Stone
AG
I had thought the Maldives but i just figured something a little different than beach destination.
fire09
AG
NZ South island hands down if you are avoiding Asia. I don't know if they have a four seasons hotel for you to stay in as it seems like it may be a pre-req based on OP.
BrokeAssAggie
Harry Stone said:

I had thought the Maldives but i just figured something a little different than beach destination.

Well I would definitely hit up some other Countries while out that way. Maybe 3 days in Maldives.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
100% New Zealand's south island is an absolute must-do at least once. It's absolutely stunning.
TXCityAggie
AG
If I wasn't paying? Bhutan hands down.
Spore Ag
Question of what you would do with some else's nickel vs your own. Bhutan requires you to spend 250$ a day minimal but close to Sikkim and Darjeeling. All worth it.

Also like idea of Safari or Antarctica
schmendeler
AG
I think a safari in Africa would be pretty epic.
FrontPorchAg
Chamonix France,
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
FrontPorchAg
https://www.iceaxe.tv/expedition/antarctic-peninsula-adventure-cruise/

Backcountry ski cruise in Antarctica.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
wessimo
AG
More ideas here: https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/3090885
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Port Arthur Texas or Gary Indiana.
wessimo
AG
blindey said:

Port Arthur Texas or Gary Indiana.

What, no Hannibal Missouri?
The Lost
Since it sounds like a yearly occurrence, I'd get 2 weekly masters badges and a house in Augusta for the week.
nai06
AG
Antarctica for sure but I doubt most people would be up for that.
KALALL
AG
I'd do a super high end diving trip to the Galapagos or Indonesia.
htxag09
AG
Similar thread to this awhile back, my answer applies even more in this scenario.

Wine trip through France.

Second would probably be Maldives, we did that (on points) last year and it was incredible.

New Zealand is a great option, and we'll be doing it soon. But from what I've heard and researched, it can be pretty affordable so you could do it later on your own dime. Obviously, you could worry less about finding affordable AirBnB's and just stay at extravagant hotels/resorts on someone else's money.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
nai06 said:

Antarctica for sure but I doubt most people would be up for that.
I think that would be really cool even if just for the adventure of getting there in the first place.
HHAG
AG
I have had the good fortune to travel a lot, both on business and vacations. I would suggest the following for your list:

Southern Africa - South Africa and Botswana, especially
Madagascar
Cartagena, Colombia
Egypt - pyramids only, the rest of the country is not so nice
Chilean wine country
Amazon cruise (still on my list)
Guanacaste beach, Costa Rica
****et, Thailand
Australia - Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Whitehaven Beach
Hokkaido, Japan (in the summer)
I agree on the wine tour in France, but I would suggest the Rhone valley, rather than Bordeaux. Fly in to Lyon, rent a car and drive, then fly out of Marseille. Find a couple of gites along the way and enjoy.
Antarctica cruise (still on my list).
Vancouver, BC and environs
Singapore (just for a day)
Big Island of Hawaii, especially the Waikaloa Coast
Himchal Pradesh, India
Bavaria (Munich, Baden Baden, etc)

LGBFJB
AG
Thanks for the replies and ideas. I think New Zealand would be a great trip and I'm throwing that one into the mix along with the French Wine Country.

I ruled out Port A and the entire Golden Triangle...not the kind of bucket trip we were talking about.

For those that said the Maldives...has anyone been to both the Maldives and Bora Bora? That's a long way to go and I wonder if I would rather just go back to Bora Bora. I'm just curious how they compare.

The other destinations being suggested by my co-workers:
Santorini, Greece
Costa Rica
The Swiss Alps
Morocco

FancyKetchup14
AG
Costa Rica is great and incredibly beautiful. But it's a place I would do on my own dime, personally.

Morocco I'm torn about. I loved parts of it (Chefchaouen and Fes), but I HATED Casablanca and Marrakech. Marrakech is just a tourist trap rat hole filled with slimy people. Tangier is fine enough. It's one of very few countries I've been to that I have no desire to go back to. It's another place I'd recommend you do on your own dime.

It's a shame a safari is out of the question. I like the idea of doing French Wine Country (never been, but it's a bucket list thing for me). Still recommend New Zealand or Patagonia, especially if I'm not paying for it.

But I also think the Swiss Alps is also a great idea, it's beautiful there.

What an awesome position you're in.
Always_Right
AG
Places I haven't been that I would put on a bucket list:

Italy (Amalfi Coast or Tuscany (Lake Como)
Swiss Alps
Israel
Greece
Yellowstone/Glacier National Park

LGBFJB
AG
We defiantly feel blessed to be in this situation. Good problems to have.

We just visited the Swiss Alps and Italy last month so for us that is not as high on our list (although we would have zero problems with going back). We've also been to Australia many years ago. I kind of agree with the Costa Rica trip being one we could do on our own if we wanted. I guess we are kind of in a can't lose situation so wherever they decide to send us will be memorable.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll let you know where they decide to send us. Still open to more ideas if anyone has them. Thanks
BrokeAssAggie
What company do you work for? Are they hiring?
Snipes
AG
I absolutely love NZ south island but it isn't a four seasons type of trip. It's also a lot of driving around to different locations and being amazed what you see out the window. Not something you want to do in a big group.
Spore Ag
Someone mentioned Chamonix France which I love. Was our starting point for the Tour do Mt. Blanc.
HawthornAggie
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

What company do you work for? Are they hiring?

Asking for a friend
blue70
I would have to disagree with the person who said just visit the Pyramids in Egypt. I went to everything, including Luxor and Aswan. Those two cities were my favorite part. The Nile was beautiful. A lot of people do not realize that.

We are hoping to do Moscow and St. Petersburg this year. Don't know if those cities interest you.

I would love to do an Antarctica cruise, but they are so expensive. You might like that.
bigevent99
AG
Cape Town. You have brilliant wine country, beach, safari, great white diving, penguins, tremendous scenery and great food. One of the best places to vacation, imho. (However, Serengeti is obv better safari)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.