Airplane seat reclining debate

5,005 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wealeat09
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

If theres one thing we have learned from this thread, it's that the smug business stiffs that think they need to seem important on their laptops, really do look down on us simpletons even more than we assumed.
And don't you forget it! Most of us bill by the hour!

I do wish they would charge $100 for carryons, because the business traveler would expense it and be efficient about it and Ma and Pa Joad would check it and not cause such a fuss when there is no space in group 9.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It would be interesting to see what would happen if they flip-flopped the check bag vs. carryon price model to where OH bin carryon were $30-50 and 1-2 checked were free. More luggage to handle, but the speed in turning the planes should improve significantly.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Pet peeve #2 is people that stand in the boarding line even when their group is not boarding and just sort of stop a foot before the person takes their ticket and waits for their group to get called. Seems like every flight I'm wading through a crowd, then having to go around several people ahead of me in line when my group gets called.
This X10 at baggage claim. If everyone would stand 20 feet back, then just walk up when you see your bag, it would work beautifully for everyone. But everyone crowds the belt, and you have to push through when you see your bag..which I do, because if you are blocking everyone's way unnecessarily, I don't owe you a lot of courtesy when my bag is there in you are in the way.
62strat
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

It would be interesting to see what would happen if they flip-flopped the check bag vs. carryon price model to where OH bin carryon were $30-50 and 1-2 checked were free. More luggage to handle, but the speed in turning the planes should improve significantly.
I think most airlines already charge more for carry on then they do for a checked bag.

fire09
AG
Easy to spot the true frequent fliers on here based on the comments.
LastHamlet
AG
If the person sitting behind me reclines then I will recline as well.
Smudge
AG
The seats are made to recline. Instructions are given on when to and when not to recline, for safety reasons. It is expected that passengers will recline and the pilots announce when cruising altitude is reached and explicitly tell you it's ok to do so. Every airline has more legroom/space options. If you complain or get upset about someone reclining in front of you, you're a selfish *****, period. If it bothers you even to the point where you're annoyed with the person in front of you, let alone dare to say anything, or push/punch their seat, that's your damn problem and you should have picked a seat with space. This isn't really a debate, it's whiny dicks just finding something else to ***** about.
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
nai06
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

For the "it's designed to recline, so it's not inconsiderate" crowd...

The armrests are designed to rest your arms. So are you saying it's not inconsiderate to hog them, because you know well they don't make them so that every seat has two.
Middle seat always gets two armrests.
The Lost
smudge14255 said:

The seats are made to recline. Instructions are given on when to and when not to recline, for safety reasons. It is expected that passengers will recline and the pilots announce when cruising altitude is reached and explicitly tell you it's ok to do so. Every airline has more legroom/space options. If you complain or get upset about someone reclining in front of you, you're a selfish *****, period. If it bothers you even to the point where you're annoyed with the person in front of you, let alone dare to say anything, or push/punch their seat, that's your damn problem and you should have picked a seat with space. This isn't really a debate, it's whiny dicks just finding something else to ***** about.
I think someone else is coming off as a whiny dick here

Also the bold part is just false, as a weekly flyer, it happens maybe 20% of the time.
JMac03
AG
So because of this thread I didn't recline my seats on the 4 flights this week. I sure wanted to.
Post removed:
by user
littlebitofhifi
AG
username checks out
DannyDuberstein
AG
smudge14255 said:

Ok Shorty
Ulrich
Airplane seat recline exists primarily as a test of character.
Ulrich
I've probably flown 200 legs over the last ten years but I don't actually even know how to recline the seat.
The Lost
SoupNazi2001 said:

The Lost said:

smudge14255 said:

Also the bold part is just false, as a weekly flyer, it happens maybe 20% of the time.

False I always recline and will continue to do so. Thankfully I don't let whiners on the Internet dictate my actions.

Idgaf if you do, especially right when they say too, you're just definitely an outlier
wealeat09
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I'm with you. For most of my work trips (which tend to max out at 2-3 days), I started using a tactical backpack to pack everything. I can fit all my clothes + my work/laptop. It's easier for me to haul ass through an airport with it than a roller and something I can squeeze into a tighter spot in a pinch. But I'm putting that thing in the OH bin almost every time. Being able to pack all my belongings more efficiently than others doesnt mean I have to give up a ton of my legroom by trying to jam it on the floor in front of me. That's bullsh. I'm following the rules and taking up less space than most
Bingo. I only travel with a carryon sized backpack. It rarely goes under the seat in front of me. I'll be damned if people are going to steal overhead space I'm just as entitled to because they brought a larger bag than me.
fire09
AG
Ulrich said:

I've probably flown 200 legs over the last ten years but I don't actually even know how to recline the seat.

Some of the cheapest budget airlines don't have reclining seats.
Post removed:
by user
CDub06
AG
On Southwest flights, I notice fewer people tend to recline. And I can normally pick out which ones will - they have a look

That said, I was sitting up front in the bulkhead on a flight to ABQ this week and a woman urgently crams herself in the middle seat and proceeds to recline immediately upon takeoff. I just shook my head - You've basically got unlimited leg room.

Of course, I had to wait for her to pull her bag down and repack everything before I (and everyone behind her) could exit the plane.
62strat
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

The Lost said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

The Lost said:

smudge14255 said:

False I always recline and will continue to do so. Thankfully I don't let whiners on the Internet dictate my actions.

Idgaf if you do, especially right when they say too, you're just definitely an outlier

Disagree completely, I fly a lot and see more people recline than not.
How in the F would you even know, you get up and walk around to take a head count?
cruzdoggie
AG
I would say about 1 in 10 flights someone reclines on me so it's not that prevalent. It seems like airlines could make the seats thinner and add a bit of a recline and everyone could be happy.
wealeat09
AG
cruzdoggie said:

I would say about 1 in 10 flights someone reclines on me so it's not that prevalent. It seems like airlines could make the seats thinner and add a bit of a recline and everyone could be happy.
I've noticed it less and less. I only get reclined on in long haul flights these days. Which is absolutely ok due to a multitude of factors.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.