Airplane seat reclining debate

5,058 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wealeat09
P.C. Principal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In light of recent viral videos, I had no idea seat reclining was so controversial. Little did I know I may have pissed off many people sitting behind be my reclining.

I am big on travel etiquette--I get annoyed by people who put small bags in overhead, put their bags way ahead or behind their seat, play music or shows from their device without headphones, talk loud, etc. So I'd like to get the consensus on the Travel board: is reclining your seat rude to the person behind you? Please star your position.

For you rich people who only fly first/business class: this thread is not for you. Only the lolpoor peasants who fly coach like me belong here.
P.C. Principal
Yes, it's inconsiderate to the person behind you.
P.C. Principal
No, it's what the seats are designed to do and there's nothing wrong with it.
blue70
So, you recline, but yet have a problem with all these trivial things people do? Jm, okay.

Also, flying Business does not mean you are rich. A lot of people have miles and there are times when you can can get a mistake fare, or a great sale fare.

The seats are made to recline, but you should always check with the person behind you, There are times when the seat may be a little broken and you are actually almost in their lap. I had this happen once. I had to hold up my drink and food to eat because the guy in front was practically in my lap. He did not care
CDub06
AG
I don't recline on domestic flights. I do feel like it's inconsiderate, but I don't make a fuss about it. The people that immediately go into recline mode on short flights just kill me.
AustinCountyAg
every seat that I've "reclined" only goes back it seems about half an inch.....I don't think it is that big of a deal.
P.C. Principal
blue70 said:

So, you recline, but yet have a problem with all these trivial things people do? Jm, okay.
Yeah, I never thought of reclining as inconsiderate or annoying at all. It never bothered me. But i'm also under 6 foot.
htxag09
AG
CDub06 said:

I don't recline on domestic flights. I do feel like it's inconsiderate, but I don't make a fuss about it. The people that immediately go into recline mode on short flights just kill me.
This, I don't do it, but really don't care if others do. The people that do piss me off are those that do it the second the flight attendant walks past and/or those that slam the seat back as hard and fast as possible. At least be gently enough to not knock someone out or knock something off their tray table.

I do think it's a valid question, though. Heard something recently that yeah, the seats were made to recline, however, this is also from way back when. Since then, more and more seats have been packed into airplanes, making reclining more annoying to those behind you.
htxag09
AG
Also, for the small bags in overhead.... I'm torn on that one. On longish flights I'll specifically check my bag (which is carry on size) so I can put my backpack in the overhead and have actual leg room.

Why should I suffer by putting my backpack under the seat in front of me and lose my legroom because you have 3 bags and didn't want to check one?
P.C. Principal
htxag09 said:

Also, for the small bags in overhead.... I'm torn on that one. On longish flights I'll specifically check my bag (which is carry on size) so I can put my backpack in the overhead and have actual leg room.

Why should I suffer by putting my backpack under the seat in front of me and lose my legroom because you have 3 bags and didn't want to check one?
Because small bags take up space that could be used for actual suitcases, and if the space fills up we have to gatecheck them, which is annoying.
htxag09
AG
Eh, your complaints are more valid for suit cases that are too big being carried on and not fitting, then they turn them sideways to make them fit and take up the room of 2 or 3 actual carry ons. Or people who bring 3+ pieces of luggage. My backpack, turned sideways and put into the overhead, does not prevent any actual carry ons from being stowed.

ETA: I agree with you for short flights. Anything under a couple hours, I agree. 2 - 4 hours I think is a gray area. I, personally, will still put my backpack under my seat cause I can deal with it for 4 hours. Flights longer than that, I check my bag specifically so I can put my backpack in the overhead and have legroom. I'm not going to have my legs cramped up because you don't want to check your bag.
JMac03
AG
I too thought it was interesting that there was such an uproar over reclining seats. I almost always recline mine, but will definitely think about it in the future. It never bothers me when people in front of me recline. (It's not like I am tall though).

Does it make a difference if you are in Premium Economy versus the regular seats?

And surely reclining in Business/1st class is okay?
gggmann
AG
As long as they don't keep it reclined while meals are being served it doesn't bother me.
TXTransplant
I'm not a recliner - not on short flights or on long flights. And in some ways it's worse on long flights. We flew back from Munich on a 767. The couple in front of us had their seats reclined for the ENTIRE 10+ flight. I'm not tall (only 5'6"), but that plane was already cramped enough. Having two reclined seats directly in front of us the whole time was miserable.

The best was years ago when a woman in front of me reclined her seat all the way back and then had the nerve to complain to me because every time I moved it bumped her seat. I think I told her something to the effect that if her seat wasn't in my lap, I wouldn't bump it so much. She did adjust her seat up a little after I said that.

But I also get annoyed with people who put their purses/backpacks/coats in the overhead bin, people who stand up as soon as the plane lands, and people who jump up and insist on deplaning before those sitting in rows ahead of them.
blue70
Let me explain again. You have zero problem with yourself reclining, but yet you judge the things others do on planes. Do you understand ? It is form of hypocrisy. Being under a certain height has zero to do with how far your seat reclines.
FancyKetchup14
AG
TXTransplant said:

people who stand up as soon as the plane lands, and people who jump up and insist on deplaning before those sitting in rows ahead of them.

This. It infuriates me and I don't know why I let something so trivial make me so pissed.
Clever&FunnyAg
AG
Under 2 hours - no recline. Over 2 hours - sometimes recline. Always check the seat behind for laptops / drinks / et al and recline very slowly so you don't spill / break something.
blue70
Fancy- Probably, because they are not following the rules and being rude.
TXTransplant
FancyKetchup14 said:

TXTransplant said:

people who stand up as soon as the plane lands, and people who jump up and insist on deplaning before those sitting in rows ahead of them.

This. It infuriates me and I don't know why I let something so trivial make me so pissed.

Same here. On a recent fight with my son, there was a dad traveling with his son sitting a few rows behind us. We were toward to the back of the plane, so we had already been waiting a while. As it got closer to being our turn to deplane, the kid and his dad moved out into the aisle. It was clear they were going to try and rush ahead of at least three rows of passengers. I made eye contact with them both and said "we all want to get off the plane, too". They backed off and I got a few smiles and thank yous from the people sitting around us.

I thought maybe I embarrassed my son by speaking up, but he assured me he thought I did the right thing.
CDub06
AG
I usually sit in the aisle so I can stretch my legs out there when no one is around. So, I'll often move into the aisle if people are trying to deplane before other passengers (unless they're trying to make a tight connection) because that DOES make me mad.

Somewhat relevant story from about 2 months ago that I feel like sharing.

Recently I was on a SWA flight (ABQ-HOU) and this lady was freaking out because we had to wait for a gate at Hobby. The flight was on the ground about 20 minutes early and we were waiting for the plane at our gate to push back.

She's in a middle seat, a row behind exit-row seating. She presses the call button and tells the flight attendant that she's worried she'll miss her connection. The attendant reassures her that we're still early and "unless you booked separate fares," she'll have plenty of time to make her flight. This woman lamented her situation for about 5 minutes total.

She asks if the attendant has connection information or if she can call her flight and tell them to wait. She says she can't. The woman then asks "Can you make an announcement for all passengers to stay seated when we get to the gate so I can be the first one off the plane?" The flight attendant says "No. I cannot." She actually makes this same request a second time a few moments later. The flight attendant is gentle, but starts losing patience with the woman. This conversation should've been over after the first "Yes, we have to wait for a gate. But we're still early."

Finally, the flight attendant asks "What time is your flight?" The woman answers "Well, it's at 3:00, but it boards at 2:30." The attendant replies, "Oh. So it boards an hour from now," and in one fluid motion, turns the call light off, turns around, and walks off.

This lady, still panicking, turns to the guy next to her and says she's so nervous she's not going to make it to San Antonio. "You have a connection to, don't you? Where are you going?" He answers "San Antonio." She exclaims "AND YOU'RE NOT WORRIED??" "No."

Immediately after this exchange, we get our gate and pull up for a still early arrival.
Ulrich
I usually stand up immediately after pulling up to the gate, but that's because one of my knees hates something about flying so I'm trying to change positions and move around a little. I don't try to rush ahead of people to get off the plane though.
Boiling Denim
AustinCountyAg said:

every seat that I've "reclined" only goes back it seems about half an inch.....I don't think it is that big of a deal.
When I recline: 1 inch of drop that I feel like I'm fighting from coming back up the entire flight

When the guy in front of me reclines: La-Z-Boy deluxe premium 5000 edition now with extra recline.
P.C. Principal
Has she heard of this neat new technology called checking your flight status on your phone? and then cross checking that with the actual time to see how much time you have until boarding?
P.C. Principal
blue70 said:

Let me explain again. You have zero problem with yourself reclining, but yet you judge the things others do on planes. Do you understand ? It is form of hypocrisy.
No, it's not hypocrisy. Your entire premise rests on the assumption that reclining is rude. My point is I never saw it as rude, and that's why I started this thread, to get a consensus on it. I had no idea people considered it rude.
Quote:

Being under a certain height has zero to do with how far your seat reclines.
Sounds like taller people would have more of a problem with recliners in front of them than others
blue70
I work, so I don't have time to play this game with you. Bye!
P.C. Principal
Relax. Don't take this thread so seriously, man.
The Milkman
AG
I don't understand the people that complain about people who stand as soon as the plane parks. Yes we're all aware we're not getting off the plane any sooner, however I've been sitting for 3 hours and I'd like to stand and stretch my legs.
AustinScubaAg
AG
htxag09 said:

Eh, your complaints are more valid for suit cases that are too big being carried on and not fitting, then they turn them sideways to make them fit and take up the room of 2 or 3 actual carry ons. Or people who bring 3+ pieces of luggage. My backpack, turned sideways and put into the overhead, does not prevent any actual carry ons from being stowed.

ETA: I agree with you for short flights. Anything under a couple hours, I agree. 2 - 4 hours I think is a gray area. I, personally, will still put my backpack under my seat cause I can deal with it for 4 hours. Flights longer than that, I check my bag specifically so I can put my backpack in the overhead and have legroom. I'm not going to have my legs cramped up because you don't want to check your bag.
It depends on the plane. If you are one a single isle plane overhead space is precious. A backpack even on its side limits the avaible space for larger bags. On twin isle planes you can often put a backpack on top of a roll aboard so it is less an issue.
TXTransplant
The Milkman said:

I don't understand the people that complain about people who stand as soon as the plane parks. Yes we're all aware we're not getting off the plane any sooner, however I've been sitting for 3 hours and I'd like to stand and stretch my legs.

I actually stand up sometimes, too, especially if it's been a long flight. I've observed that quite a few people don't just stand, but they start crowding you. I've lost count of how many times I've had to politely ask someone to back off/up so that I have enough room to get my bag down without smacking them.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I think those that travel weekly realize what an inconvenience it is for the people behind you. I wouldn't shake a seat but I am also not going out of my way not to bump the seat that's reclined into my lap with my knees or otherwise. Before I had a tablet it would make working on the plane impossible. The airlines should just remove the ability to recline and charge for carryons but not checked bags. This would solve a lot of problems
Greenlander
AG
Thanks to the OP for asking this question. Having some legroom on a flight is my TOP priority when buying a ticket. I am 6'4" and not at all overweight and regular coach is unbearable on every domestic airline when the seat in front of me is reclined. People are proportioned differently, and my 6'4" can be different than someone else's. I can be so crunched that it is like sitting on a kiddie toilet. Please think about that level of discomfort and it can last for days after the flight in the form of neck and back discomfort.

I wish the passengers in front of me were more considerate and I can count the number of times people have asked me if it was okay to recline their seat on one hand. When it is too much, I have politely asked the passenger in front to 'please consider raising their seat back.' I would say 30% will do it. And you can tell most are angry I asked.

I pay extra for premium economy and exit aisles, but sometimes there aren't any spots available. Also, when there is a weather/maintenance/other cancellation, you have to take the available seat to get to your destination. And there are plenty of flights without a first/business option available.
JSKolache
AG
Im tall and hate recliners. Reclining should be outlawed. So should 5'3" tinies in exit rows. Get that mess outta here.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It just adds way more discomfort than comfort
BMX Bandit
Quote:

People who stand up as soon as the plane lands,
what's wrong with these people? As long as they don't try to pass everyone in front of them to get off first, this is much much better than "let me sit here and not move until everyone in front of me is off the plane, then start getting my stuff ready to go" guy

as for recliners, they are generally horrible people.
cohibasymas
AG
I used to fly weekly for consulting.

Unless you are actively giving birth on the flight, please don't recline.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.