Portugal this summer

1,412 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Apache
rcaper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tips for Portugal.....go
rcaper
ontherocks
AG
No tips. Cool place, I liked it.
SwissAgg
AG
rcaper said:

Tips for Portugal.....go
Porto is a definite must. Vasconcella(spelling?) is really good port wine. Try the different ages even the 20 and 25 years. They really make a difference. Also, go to the port and eat fresh fish which comes daily from the boat.
Take a train up the river valley and see where the grapes are grown. The little towns are really interesting.

Unfortunately, I haven't been to Lisbon or anywhere else.
FancyKetchup14
AG
FancyKetchup14
AG
Portugal is amazing. You'll love it. It's somewhere I'd live and work.

Porto
  • Porto Cathedral (It's one of the stops for the Camino de Santiago, you'll see people with the seashells on their backpacks)
  • I dislike Port Wine but I enjoyed the Ferreria tasting and the tour of their warehouse across the river
  • As someone mentioned, get up into the Duoro valley where they grow the grapes for Port Wine
  • If you're a Harry Potter fan you can go visit the bookstore that JK Rowling wrote the first portion of the first book.
  • Take a free, tip-based walking tour. There's a ton of great history in Porto.

Places to eat in Porto:

Lisbon
  • Lisbon Cathedral is worth checking out
  • The LX Factory - It's an old industrial complex that's now been taken over by boutique shops, retailers, restaurants and other things of that sort. It's a cool place to kill an afternoon.
  • Take the train to Sintra and visit the old castles there. One is the Castle of the Moors (I liked this) and the other is the Pena Palace (I wouldn't go do this again, to be honest). The cabo de roca is also a really cool viewpoint.
  • Take the metro to Belem area and check it out (west of Lisbon central)
  • St George's Castle
  • Go party on Pink Street

Places to eat in Lisbon
  • I'd honestly go to Time Out Market every day. This place is amazing. It's basically a really nice food court with food from all over Lisbon.
  • Pastel de Nata - they're these little Portuguese custard tarts and they're to die for. Google will tell you to go to Pasteis de Belem, but screw that place go to this place instead: Manteigaria
  • I really enjoyed Bebedouro as well.
  • Best ice cream in Lisbon Gelados Santini

Another Spot
  • Lagos and the Algarve - This is down on the southern end of the country. It's known for its beaches, surfing, and cliffs. If you can squeeze it in. Although it's cool, Lisbon and Porto are better in my opinion. Ponta de Piedade - it's a really cool beach/cliffside that's great at sunset. There's a lot of natural rock formations all over. And old Lagos is cool to wander about. My memory from there is pretty hazy, so specifics I'm a bit short on.
Rasslin Cheesehead
AG
We went to Lisbon a number of years ago... it was one of the nicer places we've been to. Cascais, seaside town very quaint. We stayed in Sintra. If you're a golfer, really nice course. Pina Castle was really cool. If you're into unique Cathedrals St Jerome.
wealeat09
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Portugal is amazing. You'll love it. It's somewhere I'd live and work.

Lisbon
Places to eat in Lisbon
  • I'd honestly go to Time Out Market every day. This place is amazing. It's basically a really nice food court with food from all over Lisbon.
  • Pastel de Nata - they're these little Portuguese custard tarts and they're to die for. Google will tell you to go to Pasteis de Belem, but screw that place go to this place instead: Manteigaria
  • I really enjoyed Bebedouro as well.
  • Best ice cream in Lisbon Gelados Santini

Definitely agree on the Pastel de Nata shop called Manteigaria. It's a must.

I only spent 30 hours in Lisbon and it was pouring rain most of the time, but I enjoyed it.

I recommend buying their pretty cheap daily transit pass. It gets you on all the trams, Metro, buses and funiculars. Well worth it and easy to see what you might want to visit.

I stayed at this guesthouse. It was pretty awesome and cheap. Super clean, awesome balcony, comfortable beds, great staff plus they upgraded me. Couldn't recommend a better place or location. Oh, it also had an awesome Portuguese breakfast for free. The square is a little sketchy with aggressive dudes trying to push fake weed, but you just have to be stern and keep moving.

Tesouro da Baixa by Shiadu
R. Dom Duarte 3, 1100-240 Lisboa, Portugal
+351 914 176 969
https://goo.gl/maps/i35SXeofLX8ssguj7

Texaggie7nine
Staying here in Lisbon all this month while working. Hopefully I'll have some tips for you
7nine
FancyKetchup14
AG
Out of curiosity, and I hope you don't mind me asking - what do you do?
Texaggie7nine
Work in IT for logistical software company.
7nine
rcaper
rcaper
Law Ag 10
AG
There are some really good recommendations on this thread. A few others:

1) if splitting time between Porto and Lisbon, take the train between them and stop in Coimbra on the way for the day. Really cool old university town and you can tour some of the buildings and museums and just hang out.

2) Lisbon has a small Portugal Military Museum that we enjoyed. Some of the exhibits for 20th/21st century conflicts are meh but if you are into Napoleonic era history they have some exhibits that are interesting and educational.

3) I definitely re-recommend taking a train to Sintra for a day. Some ppl spend a week there.

4) The old fort/castle in Lisbon and the meandering walk to it.
rcaper
Thanks to everyone for tips!!
rcaper
water turkey
My brother and wife just retired and moved to Caiscas after falling in love with that area while on vacation.
Apache
AG
My wife & I spent 2 days in a little town called Tomar. Has some UNESCO world hertigate sights. (Tomar was where the last of the Knights Templar survived - they changed their names to the Order of Christ)
Not as important a stop in Portugal as Sintra, Porto, Belem or Lisbon... but if you want to relax in a small town with some great history, I highly recommend it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.