Ski school recommendations (CO)

1,562 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aglaohfour
aglaohfour
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm taking my daughter and my parents to CO for spring break. We just decided on this, so nothing is set in stone yet. Looking for recommendations on the best ski school for kids. We've only ever skied in Utah, so not at all familiar with any of the CO resorts.

Haven't booked lodging yet, so really anywhere in CO is an option at this point. My daughter is 6 and will be the only one skiing on this trip (parents are too old, I had a bad injury when we skied last year and I'm still too scared) so I really just want a great experience for her. I'd say at this point she's a beginner, on the verge of intermediate skier for her age.
dc509
AG
Vail or Breckenridge will both have what you're looking for. They're great towns and the ski schools will have group programs for kids her age, and the instructors will be really good. They'll also be good with kids. If she is extremely opposed to groups they will have private instruction available if you want to pay for it.

If she's beginner on the verge of intermediate I strongly recommend going with beginner. After day 1 if she's too good for the beginner group and is bored the instructors will let you know that they believe she should change to the intermediate the next day.

The ski schools are really good too.
Fairview
AG
In my opinion Beaver Creek is the best ski school for kids or adults. They have a low area with a bunny hill, magic carpet and all that stuff. Last year they added a ice cream store in that area that is fun for kids. That area is serviced by a gondola and a high speed lift.

Also last year at the top of the mountain they reworked it and created Red Buffalo Park which is another area that is all greens. There's very little cross through of blues and blacks so you don't have people flying through the newbies and the runs are all really wide and not too steep but they are fun. They have an easy terrain park in that area along with some basic runs through the woods that have fun stuff for kids - wood cutouts you pass by, go under and go around.

My kids did the youth development program there for years because we live by Beaver Creek and it was a great experience. They do ski school right.
aglaohfour
AG
Thanks so much for the info. I've got her booked for 2 days of lessons at Beaver Creek. We are really looking forward to it!
Phat32
AG
Learned at beaver creek and vail. Will take my kids there in the next couple years.
archangelus2
AG
Be prepared to hemorrhage money for kids lessons at any of the big name Colorado resorts.
Pahdz
Steamboat
Greener Acres
We did Vail one year for our daughter (same age) and paid $285/day for lessons and gear. All Vail owned resorts seem to charge the same price. In some areas, like Breckenridge, there are smaller places where you can get a private lesson from a non-resort person and they can work on turns and stopping.

For my family, the cost was too exorbitant to justify on a once a year ski trip so we started skiing in cheaper resorts until the kids' ability catches up a little more.
aglaohfour
AG
Already paid for it. It was $1100 for two full days of a group lesson with 3 other people. That included rentals and lift ticket. Pretty much on par with what we've paid in park city in the past.

I initially thought she would benefit more from two half day private lessons, but the more I thought about it the more I felt uncomfortable with her being alone with an adult we don't know, so I think the small group lesson will be better.
Fairview
AG
She will be schooling you after the two day small group lessons. Kids learn fast. It will be a good time.

Don't forget they give out cookies and hot chocolate at 3:00 every day.
txags92
AG
It is sooo much easier for kids to learn. They don't have the fear of falling. She will be skiing circles around you in no time.
aglaohfour
AG
The no fear thing is spot on. I'm actually terrified of skiing now, she's fearless. I refuse to project my fear on to her, so taking every opportunity I can to let her continue to learn. No doubt she'll be a much better skier than I ever was in short order.
HECUBUS
AG
We are dinosaurs, we taught or kids and wouldn't trade that for anything. The secret is to start them at age three, ski every year and the edgie wedgie for the first two weeks. We noticed the instructors at Steamboat using these when teaching the first one.
2wealfth Man
AG
txags92 said:

It is sooo much easier for kids to learn. They don't have the fear of falling. She will be skiing circles around you in no time.
And kids have a low center of gravity (versus my beer belly)
VikingNik
AG
My kid was skiing blues after two days in Steamboat's ski school. At age 5. (Edit- or was he 4? Can't remember anymore.)
maroon10
AG
My in-laws have a cabin outside Steamboat. We plan on bringing the gang next year (going next week without them). Oldest will be 5 1/2 when we go- did you do the Mon-Fri week ski lessons for your kid or just a few days?
VikingNik
AG
Just did two full days of school for him. Third day he pointed up the mountain and said he wanted to go up there. He's nine now. Don't remember it all super clearly anymore. What I do like there that all the school stuff is right at the base with two lifts for beginners - Preview and the mid station stop on Christy Peak express. Good way to gauge their progression.
TexasAg21
+1 for Beaver Creek. Nice green learning areas. Also WAY less people. Short lift lines. Less worried about running into people on the mountain
aglaohfour
AG
Bumping this to thank those of you who recommended Beaver Creek. We are just loving everything about it, but the ski school in particular has exceeded my expectations. My daughter has really progressed in the past two days and she's got one more day of lessons to go. I didn't think I'd like anywhere more than Park City, but this might be our go-to from now on.
JustPanda
AG
Right On! BC is such a nice mountain. When do you guys leave? My gf works for BCCSS. If you have the time: it goes along way if you put in a good word for the instructor and rate over guest experience - that's a big metric that determines which instructors get more "favorable" future groups.
aglaohfour
AG
Good to know! I'll say something when we stop by to drop off her rentals today. We're leaving tomorrow. I initially planned on just having her do two days, but she was begging to go back today, so we added a third. All of the instructors and staff are super friendly and really made it a great experience for us.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.