Russia

1,226 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by blue70
blue70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello. I was wondering if anyone has been to Moscow and St. Petersburg? How was it? When did you go? What hotel did you stay at? Any problems? Did you have any trouble getting Visas? How long did it take? Whatever you have to offer. Thanks!
whasty
AG
Went to Russia just before the World Cup. Had a great time and would go back. Get a Rick Steves' book on Russia (I got the St. Petersburg one) and it describes how to get a visa. We used a service just to make sure everything was done correctly. We started in Tallinn and spent 3 nights there. Stayed at the 3 Sisters in the old town. Great place. We took the ferry across to Helsinki and spent one night downtown in a modern hotel (name escapes me) and then took the Allegro train to St. Petersburg. Spent 7 days there, doing a day trip to Moscow. There's a bullet train from St. Petersburg to Moscow that takes about 4 hours. So, it's a long day. If you do the day trip, arrange for a guide in Moscow. You don't want to waste time looking for stuff. In St. Petersburg, we stayed at the Gogol Hotel. It's fine but not great. It's close to everything but we picked it because it's close to the apartment of a friend of one the people in my travel group.

St. Petersburg is loaded with Russian history. If your Russian history is a little week, I'd suggest reading up on Peter the Great and some of the others Tzars. It will make the trip much more enjoyable. I read: Massey's books on Peter/Catherine the Great and Nicholas and Alexandra. Also read "The 900 Days" about the siege of Leningrad. Made things much more interesting.
htxag09
AG
I went on a work trip to Moscow a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. Would like to go back with the wife and add St. Petersburg and maybe a couple other stops.

I stayed at the Hotel Novotel in the business district and on the river. Nice, and no issues, but wouldn't stay there for vacation. No issues with getting my Visa. I had to get a business Visa so it was a little more complex and I had to go to a local center for everything, but not difficult.

Everything was clean and safe. Never had any issues. I even went for a long run one evening so was in touristy and non touristy neighborhoods.

Hardest part was the language, nothing is in English. I used the google translator a lot to make sure I was going the correct way on the subway, etc.
blue70
Thanks! We got 2 books and have been doing research. Once we decide on our hotels, next month, we will reserve them and have them do an " invitation letter." The ones we are looking at do it for free. They charge if you cancel, which is fair. We will then do the Visa. We will probably get a 3 year one since it is the same price. We plan on going in mid-December, or for the Russian Christmas. The prices for hotel and flights are not up yet for then, so we will decide that next month too. It looks very beautiful. Thanks again for your help!
htxag09
AG
I went in early November and it was already pretty cold. Sure you're aware, but just a heads up.
blue70
I love cold weather and snow. For some reason, I always want snow on my birthday in December, but never get it. A couple of years ago, we went to Budapest and no snow, but it snowed here. Hahah. It will probably be the hottest December ever. Apparently, this winter has been their hottest since 1896, or 98. Something like that. I am only worried about the ice on the sidewalks. I have those snow cleats, so those will probably help. I bought them for Budapest. From what I read, St. Petersburg is more treacherous.
Spore Ag
First time in Moscow was 1969 and witnessed the TU 144, the Russian competitive equilavent to the Concord.

Smart to go in winter as the tourist are absent. You will have the Hermitage mostly to yourself not to mention getting a true feel for the Winter Palace.

Thy to learn the alphabet and if you pronounce it phonetically, well it worked for me 2 years ago.

Hit the national cemetery. Eat Geogian or Moldovan food and wine or slug Baluga vodka.
A subway tour is also worth it in Moscow.
blue70
Yes, their subways look beautiful. That does seem like the perfect time to go without the crowds. We also like Christmas festivals and lights, so I think if we are there until the 21st, or so, we will get to see them. I know the main one in Moscow will be open and the one in St. P usually starts around the 15th. Thank you for all your help!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.