Iceland Vacation

1,893 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mike073
DartAg1970
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about going to Iceland. Has anyone ever been? What is the best way to experience Iceland and any recommendations for a trip. I am unsure on length, but at minimum 5 days. Thanks.
bthotugigem05
AG
The Golden Circle can be done in a day, then with 5 days you'd probably either pick Snaefellsness and the Westfjords or the southern coast (which is way more touristy). Either way it'd be an out-and-back from Reykjavik.

I've done the entire ring road in 9 days but would recommend doing that in 14 days. I've also done the southern coast (out-and-back to Vestrahorn/Hofn) in 4 days. Just depends how much you want to be driving versus hiking/etc.

The typical questions I get:
  • Almost everyone speaks English, probably better than you
  • Credit cards are accepted at almost every hotel/B&B
  • Driving is easy there although the roads are gravel once you get off the Ring Road
  • Even though it's not a big island, it can take forever to get from one place to the next because you're driving up and down fjords
  • The food/beverage cost is eye-wateringly expensive, many people stop at the Costco in Reykjavik and get snack foods there to keep costs down
  • Yes, all of the above is worth it, it's one of the most beautiful places in the world

Put together a drone video from my trip around the Ring Road in 2018 with some unnecessarily dramatic music:
DartAg1970
AG
Wow thank you. Based on your video it looks like you went during the summer time. What in your opinion is the best time of year to go? Also, what can one expect in terms of cost for a week long trip (two people)?
bthotugigem05
AG
I went around Labor Day, right as the busy season was winding down. Iceland is crowded during the summer and the deep winter, but much moreso during the summer. I recently went in October and it was nice and empty but the scenery wasn't quite as nice. I'd suggest late September.

We averaged $140 a night on our most recent trip for hotel and about $70/person/day for food, we ate at restaurants most of the time, it's doable for cheaper than that.

There's a great microbrewery in Vik, for example. Burger, fries, and a beer cost about $40/person.
The Milkman
AG
Can you catch the northern lights in September? Is that too early?
bthotugigem05
AG
It's a bit too early, we barely caught them in mid-October.

07ag
AG
i used https://nordicsaga.com/northern-lights-exploration-tour about 5 years ago and loved it, went in october and saw the aurora most nights. they've almost doubled their prices from when i went, though
https://ts.la/eric59704
Unemployed
AG

bthotugigem05 pretty much covered everything.

I drove the Ring Road in one week in October. It's the start of winter then and I did not enjoy driving in snow at all especially going up and down the mountains. I suggest renting a 4x4 just for the peace of mind.

If you're going during the winter, a lot of the F-roads are closed due to weather. Some of the scenic spots are only accessible through these F-roads that are off the beaten path of the paved Ring Road. I rented a little VW hatchback so I kept mostly on the Ring Road.

Everything is expensive in Iceland so we just packed up with bread and sandwich meats and ate that for lunch on the road. It's just as good as Icelandic cuisine which sucks. The microbrewery that bthotugigem05 mentioned in Vik does make some good burgers, though.

Unfortunately, I was not able to see any of the Northern Lights. Conditions weren't just right.

I want to go back to Iceland but in the summer to enjoy the scenery covered in green foliage instead of being barren or covered in snow.

07ag
AG
in a solar minimum right now, which means aurora are much less likely. if that's a goal probably ought to wait a few years
https://ts.la/eric59704
texasaggie04
AG
Buy liquor duty free in the airport. It's crazy expensive in Iceland.

Also, become waterproof. Especially if you plan to go in the fall or winter.
cr0wbar
AG
Funny - just got a NEXTVACY notification for $600 roundtrip from HOU from May to Mid-October. Considering pulling the trigger on a flight
-It's a Jungle out there kiddies, have a very fruitful day-

Counterpoint
AG
A few quick things that might help:

We didn't have to use cash the entire time we were there. Travel guides said some restrooms would be cash only, but every pay restroom we used took credit cards.

Get portable wifi from your rental car company

And here's a dumb one I'll admit happened to us... When using GPS, don't go to the "Blue Lagoon" in Reykjavik, it's just a store or an office. What you want is closer to the airport! On a related note, I'd say don't spend a lot of time in Reykjavik unless you're there for the nightlife. The natural wonders of the rest of the country are incredible.
rcaper
Be advised...all meat is locally raised horses!!
rcaper
mike073
AG
There is rotten shark and minke whale steaks also available.
Gig 'em Aggies!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.