European River Cruise

1,833 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by whasty
Jak981
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wife and I heading to Europe in September for first time river cruise. Agent suggesting Viking or Amawaterways. Anyone have input one way or the other?
Vernada
AG
are you old enough for a river cruise?
breezecustomtravel
AG
I've had clients cruise on both and liked them both. They price about the same and have similar routes and destinations.

Another agent sent this to me and I think it's a pretty good comparison:
AMAWaterways vs. Viking River Cruises
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
Texaggie7nine
My mom loves Viking. When I tell her how fun it sounds, she tells me that I should go with my wife sometime, but we would probably be the only couple under 60.
7nine
chick79
AG
We're thinking of going this summer. A friend highly recommends Crystal. We are certainly looking at Viking too. My wife and I are both in our 60s so we are old enough.
Jak981
Thanks. Yes we meet the age requirements.
eiggA2002
AG
My parents love Viking. They have done 3 river cruises and a 4th coming this Fall. I'd suggest staying an extra couple of days at either the beginning or end (or both).
Jak981
Yes. we expect to stay a few days in Prague and Budapest around the cruise. Still thinking about that.
SwissAgg
AG
Definitely Viking cruises.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Sounds fun, can't wait to be old enough to take one in Europe.
malenurse
AG
chick79 said:

We're thinking of going this summer. A friend highly recommends Crystal. We are certainly looking at Viking too. My wife and I are both in our 60s so we are old enough.
Prepare to be the youngsters on the trip
Spore Ag
We did Viking Christmas markets. For the most part you travel at night and enjoy the days destination during the day. Free town tours albeit basic. We take their free bus then bail and do our own excursion.
I do not denigrate anyone on their style of travel as long as you grt out, explore the culture and above have fun!
KenJohse
AG
My wife and I enjoyed enjoy our Tauck Christmas Markets cruise.
Hootie
AG
We did an AMAWaterways Cruise a few years ago. It was a great trip.
SW AG80
AG
chick79 said:

We did Viking 3 years ago and loved it. I was 60 at the time and wife was 58. There was only one couple on the cruise younger than we were and I was the ONLY one on the boat who had a job to come back to. But it was a bunch of fun loving, active people. We made good friends with an Auburn couple and they stayed with us in College Station for the Auburn game and we are staying with them this coming fall. We will do Viking again.
Rasslin Cheesehead
AG
We've been on two Viking cruises. Both were awesome. We did the Elbe two yrs ago and this fall we did the Eastern part of the Danube

TexasAggie73
AG
Have done 2 Viking cruises, the Danube and Rhine. Had a great time on both. Good service and good food plus unlimited wine or beer durning meals. We were in our mid 60's and so were most of the other passengers. It gives you a good introduction to many cities and if you have time I would do the pre and post excursions. Really enjoyed Amsterdam .
whasty
AG
Not to be a buzzkill but I thought you might want to know about potential water level issues on European rivers. I took a Danube cruise in 2017 and it affected my cruise. It didn't ruin the cruise but we spent a lot more time on buses than I expected. Here's a good article:

https://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/water-levels/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.