Places to take the family in late July

1,978 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by irish pete ag06
ThunderCougarFalconBird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We will be going somewhere in late July. Not sure where yet. Son will be 3 and daughter will be 1.5. Plan is to rent VRBO and have parents/in-laws join for some of trip. We are in Houston and will go as far as 1 direct flight that is 3 hours or less away.

Initial thoughts include somewhere along 30A, grand cayman, Costa Rica, or mountain towns in Colorado.

Any ideas? Tips? Suggestions?
BrokeAssAggie
I would do 30A with kids that age or the JW Marriot in San Antonio is a lot of fun.
JMac03
AG
I second the JW Marriott. I loved Costa Rica but I am not familiar with condos there (I'm sure there are). Atlantis has condos that still get the same amenities as staying at one of their hotels.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Fly to Panama City airport and you can be at Rosemary Beach on 30A in about 25 minutes after leaving the airport.
CanyonAg77
AG
If I'm in Houston in July, get me to the mountains. Fly to Denver and do any of a dozen mountain towns, or Albuquerque and drive to northern NM or SW Colorado.
FrontPorchAg
Of what you mentioned I would do Colorado. July is hot as balls.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
SbisaVictim95
AG
Yeah I'd head to Colorado. Hope to do so in August or early September this year for a few days myself.
I Drink Your Milkshake
AG
Take half your budget and pay your inlaws to watch your kids and leave them behind. Take the other half and do something cheaper with just your wife. Spend majority of time having pre-kid sex.

Just my .02 from a guy who drug his toddlers/infant to the beach and mountains. You will be exhausted. People on the plane will resent you. Circle back in 2-3 years when you and the kids can actually enjoy it.
Pahdz
Northern Minnesota

Bonus - if you are an Astros fan they are in Minneapolis late July
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
We do that later in the year. Feel bad putting kids on them that much. This one really is a family deal.

I think this year we are going to do Japan for that trip but not sure yet.

ETA: this is one of the weeks our nanny is out. We will be flying parents/in laws to join.
BMX Bandit
Don't listen to the leave the kids behind advice.

I'd love to go back in time and take my kids at 3 & 1.5 to the beach again. In 10 years, you won't miss trips you could have taken with your wife alone. You won't get back these moments with your kids. Make the best of them.
Yesterday
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Don't listen to the leave the kids behind advice.

I'd love to go back in time and take my kids at 3 & 1.5 to the beach again. In 10 years, you won't miss trips you could have taken with your wife alone. You won't get back these moments with your kids. Make the best of them.

Agreed! Those trips are ass whips and we always wonder why we do them while we're doing them but that's all the kids talk about for years after.
irish pete ag06
AG
We did Destin (specifically Miramar Beach) last year with my parents and the in-laws with a 4 year old and a 14 month old. It was the funnest ass kicking I've ever had. My dad is in a wheel chair so that also made for some heavy duty work on my part getting him down to beach and back (we rented one of them giant wheeled beach wheel chair). If I did It again... I'd almost have to find something on the damn beach even if it costed a fortune. I'm currently exploring this right now for this summer. My in-laws and parents both loved the trip and we want to do it or something like it again.

Also kicking around a long weekend at Beaver's Bend or possibly a mountain destination as well. Have talked about Branson too... just a crap load of things to do (I have to try and keep wheel chair friendly in my plans obviously)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.