Virgin Islands vs. Anguilla

2,960 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SW AG80
hudson96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are trying to narrow down our summer vacation for an early June trip with three kids, 14, 14, and 11. We took them to Eluethera last summer and Belize the summer before. We are narrowing down our options and are considering flying direct from Houston to San Juan (maybe a day or two in San Juan) and then Silver Airways to the either Anguilla or the Virgin Islands. Anyone have any experience with either or both and would you be able to give me a bit of info? There are so many options for the Virgin Islands. Is it possible to get around easily to other islands? Also, my husband is titanium with Marriott so does anyone have any experiences with any Marriott properties in the Virgin Islands? I read wonderful things about Anguilla when I was researching Eluethera last summer so super interested in that as a possibility. We are open to any suggestions on places to stay, things to do, etc.

Thank you!
breezecustomtravel
AG
I've sent clients to both and I love both of these choices personally.

Virgin Islands:
You can ferry around pretty easily, although most clients usually just choose 1 or 2 to visit during their stay.
Since you mentioned Marriott -- Marriott Frenchman's Cove is a good option in St. Thomas; also liked The Ritz there too.
St. John has The Westin that is popular but is now mostly private villa rentals.
Scrub Island is nice and has some amazing villas.
Virgin Gorda has Little Dix Bay and Oil Nut Bay that are client favorites and are doing well after hurricane renovation.

Anguilla:
Belmond Cap Juluca
Malliouhana
Zemi Beach House Resort & Spa
CuisinArt Golf Resort & Spa

Anguilla's beaches are AMAZING!

Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
Big Al 1992
AG
2 of our all time favorite islands.

Anguilla is very laid back - not a lot for teenagers to do. Water and beaches are amazing but very calm. Golf at CuisinaArt is great - lots of great food options. May want to ferry over to St Maartens for water sports and more to see.

St Johns is fantastic but still digging out after Hurricanes. St Thomas has a couple Marriott properties and lots of day trips available - St Johns, Jost Van Duke (Soggy Dollar Bar) The Baths and Virgin Gorda. St Thomas does get crowded when the cruise ships are in.
Potcake
AG
Yes, you can ferry between islands in the USVI and BVI but if you go between the two, you will be paying departure taxes and entry fees.
Petrino1
My vote would be USVI/BVI. Anguilla has amazing beaches but its a pretty remote island, not a whole lot to do there. I could see the family getting bored.

USVI/BVI has so much to do/see. Can visit a different island everyday with its own vibe.
gigemags2016
texpert68
AG
Bump. Not looking for a family vacation, just a week long getaway with the wife. Looking to balance some beach lounging time with some activities and/or site seeing. Recommendations appreciated.
texpert68
AG
Should add that we're looking at this June for time frame.
hudson96
AG
We have everything booked for a week in the Virgin Islands. We are planning to spend half of our time in St. John and the other half in st. Thomas, mainly because things are booking up and we couldn't get our room in St. John for the back half of the trip. Do you think splitting time is too much? We are not the type to sit around a room or resort. We have always been somewhat adventurous and now our kids are that way as well. We have plenty of time to cancel our rooms if we find something different. As of now we are doing a villa at the Westin St. John and the Frenchman in st. Thomas. Any other places that you would recommend staying for a family of 5? Are there other islands thAt are a must to visit? We still have time to book our outbound flight to Tortola if that's a better option. Any suggestions would be appreciated since we have now narrowed down our summer vacation and everything is being held.
Post removed:
by user
SW AG80
AG
texpert68 said:

Bump. Not looking for a family vacation, just a week long getaway with the wife. Looking to balance some beach lounging time with some activities and/or site seeing. Recommendations appreciated.
Go to Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda in BVI. Great place, great water. Go over to Tortola for a day. Go to the Pusser's Rum bar.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.