Opinions on SIM cards

971 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by neil99
Potcake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We travel a lot but have never gotten SIM cards for the country we're visiting because we try to rely on wifi. Going to CDMX next month and wondering if they are worth it and how easy to use in an iphone.
craigernaught
AG
It's really easy, especially if you have the ejector tool. Obviously, make sure you have an unlocked phone.

I don't find it worth it if we don't move from place to place much. I get one when I drive a lot, hike, or stay for an extended period of time. Otherwise, I just download the map on Google and use wifi.
wessimo
AG
Or switch to Cricket and get a lower monthly rate that includes service in Canada and Mexico.
dummble
AG
We have bought one in europe that past few trips we have made. Unless you really really need it, don't buy it at the airport. Stop by any newsstand or convenience store, ask for a sim. They are like 10 euros for a week.

The other poster is right. Make sure your phone is unlocked before you leave. Your US carrier can do this over the phone, or if you would know if you purchased one. Carry the sim popper between your phone case and the phone.
90 bull
AG
We did this on a long trip through Europe. Had over 20 SIM cards through the trip. Just be sure to check if you need to change the apn settings on your phone. Also, check with your current carrier. Many now include Mexico and Canada in their includes service are.
schmendeler
AG
if you have AT&T, you likely have service in mexico included at no additional charge.
Potcake
AG
Thanks, I'll check on that.
HollywoodBQ
AG
schmendeler said:

if you have AT&T, you likely have service in mexico included at no additional charge.
Was shocked when I went to Cabo and my AT&T phone worked. Don't know what the coverage looks like in the rest of the country.
lexofer
AG
Yep current ATT plans include Canada and Mexico. You can get unlimited everything in most countries for $10 a day if you do it in advance.

I found this out after I tried to rely on WiFi during a trip to Australia and ended up having to walk several miles after dark to find WiFi to get an Uber.
OilManAg91
AG
Sign up for global connect service with your provider. It maybe costs $10 / day which is nothing compared to the cost of your vacation and the time and inconvenience of your phone not working.
TXCityAggie
AG
You can get a Sim in CDMX easily.

If you have T-Mobile then you will have data available anywhere in the world at no extra cost. It is 2G but works fine for things like Uber, Whatsapp, etc. You can pay to up the speed to 4G for something like $5 a day.
neil99
AG
Check out Google Fi. If you are not a big data user, their rates are great. Data costs the same anywhere, and their internation phone rates are cheap. My experience has been that I don't have to do anything when traveling, the service just works.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.