Alaska/Denali/Kenai NP suggestions

2,076 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AlaskanAg08
ol'Porkbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're going to Alaska this summer for two weeks. The first week we are renting an RV and doing Denali NP (already secured a site at Tek River Campground) then we are driving east along the Denali Highway towards Paxton and Wrangel-St. Elias NP before returning the RV in Anchorage.
The second week we are spending on the Kenai Peninsula and looking into renting a house in Homer and/or Seward.

A few questions I have:

1) Any recommendations on how to get in/explore Wrangle St. Elias? We have 3 kids (11, 9, 6) who love to do the Jr. Ranger Programs at all the National Parks we go to. Unfortunately it seems W-S.E. is pretty hard to get into from the northwest area where we will be. Anyone explored that area?

2) My wife and I like to fly fish but are complete novices. Any half-day guide suggestions in Kenai or elsewhere? I'd love to catch a big King Salmon but don't really like the idea of combat fishing amongst a big crowd.

3) We'd like to do a flight-seeing tour too. Thought about one around Denali but maybe something that lands on a glacier in Kenai.

4) What is the best way to see the fjords via watercraft? We're traveling with another family so there will be 9 of us total. I like the idea of kayaking but also figured a boat would allow us to see more.

5) Any other suggestions on the area?
Pro Sandy
AG
3) We'd like to do a flight-seeing tour too. Thought about one around Denali but maybe something that lands on a glacier in Kenai.

I used K2 Aviation out of Talkeetna. https://www.flyk2.com/

Our flight was to land on a glacier, but weather prevented the landing. Did get to see lots of wildlife and even Denali. Potential to get both of what you want, glacier landing and seeing Denali.

BQ2001
AG
We did a Kenai Fjord tour through Major Marine, it was about 8 hours but was great. Saw a bunch of glaciers and whales and other wildlife on the cruise. Booked on Black Friday for 40% off.
Hiking up the Harding Icefield trail for at least a bit gets some good views in Kenai NP.

I wanted to do a flightseeing tour with K2, but the day I was going to book they had a plane go down. No go from my wife after that.
Texaggie7nine
If you happen to be on the Kenai Peninsula during one of the Sockeye Salmon runs that usually happen once in June and once in July, do whatever you can to get over to the Russian River and catch some.

I was lucky enough to be there last year for one and they upped the limit to 11 per person.

The combat fishing was intimidating at first, but once you get used to it, you just pull in fish and it's an absolute blast.

You can also find spots further back from the mouth of the Russian where you and your kids could have room away from others, but you will not catch fish nearly as often.
7nine
nonameag99
You can drive to McCarthy, Alaska to get into the heart of WSE

My wife and kids did a helicopter tour out of Alyeska onto a glacier to dogsled

We did a day cruise out of Whittier, AK to see prince William sound glaciers and fjords
jetescamilla
AG
Alaska resident here, I live in Juneau but travel all the highways for work every summer.

As mentioned above, flying out of Talkeetna is going to be your best bet for aerial viewing of Denali. I've never done that myself so just do your best with online reviews for whom offers the best service. One thing to keep in mind is that all of the mountain viewing is weather dependent, keep those expectations realistic. It must have taken me 4 trips through the Parks highway before I actually caught a glimpse of Denali through the clouds.

Before driving the Denali highway and pulling away from the RV rental you need to:
  • Ensure you have a full sized spare tire
  • Have the ability to change the tires
  • Have jumper cables
  • Check all your fluids

Before you actually get onto the Denali highway ensure that you've topped off the RV with gas. Also, as a general rule you should fill up quite often, even if you're only halfway empty or there is supposed to be a gas station some miles up. These places are often family owned and may or maynot be running. Don't gable on it.

Buy yourself a copy of the Milespost for local information

If you have the opportunity to drive down the South Richardson highway to Valdez you won't regret it. It is hands down the most scenic stretch of highway in the State. You'll pass by glaciers, next to waterfalls, over dramatic passes, and finally end up in a fjord (Valdez).

I could go on forever but if you have any specific questions regarding local knowledge feel free to ask. You could also email me at my username @ gmail.com. I don't know much about the touristy excursions but I stay at a lot of the hotels/motels/bed and breakfasts for work.

Have fun and take lots of pictures!

BSD
AG
We just decided that we will be going to Alaska again 2021 (had to book some stuff already!). I'm also interested in what to see and do in Denali, as well as where to stay. We may take a tent so camping inside the park could be an option for us. Also looking for thoughts on Lake Clark day excursions.
Mathguy64
AG
We are headed to Alaska/Kenai in 2021. We were notified today that we won a lottery ticket to Brooks Lodge. Had to enter the lottery before Jan 10 last week to get drawn for 2021.
BSD
AG
Yep, we got drawn today, too!
Mathguy64
AG
July 16-19
AgRyan04
Oh that's awesome!

We didnt get far enough into our planning to decide if/what exactly we are going to do so we didnt put in
BSD
AG
We were pretty happy. Tentatively our plans is looking like:

Denali 4 nights - might camp at Wonder Lake one night, raft the river. Not sure what else (thus posting here!)
Wrangell St Elias - 5 nights backcountry camping
Katmai- 2 nights
Rest of time is on Kenai at the Fjords NP, fishing, hanging out, and maybe a day trip to kayak Lake Clark
AgRyan04
That will be amazing. I may ditch my family and come with you!
SquirrellyDan
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

If you happen to be on the Kenai Peninsula during one of the Sockeye Salmon runs that usually happen once in June and once in July, do whatever you can to get over to the Russian River and catch some.

I was lucky enough to be there last year for one and they upped the limit to 11 per person.

The combat fishing was intimidating at first, but once you get used to it, you just pull in fish and it's an absolute blast.

You can also find spots further back from the mouth of the Russian where you and your kids could have room away from others, but you will not catch fish nearly as often.

Is it true that all those fish are caught by snagging them? I've been to Alaska in May a couple times for work; always too early to fish. Salmon run is on my bucket list.
Texaggie7nine
Well technically you have to snag in their mouth if you snag, because anything behind the gill and you have to release.

We were told that they call it "flossing" because they said you are just basically dropping the fly into their mouths and snagging them and that at that stage the fish are not interested in actually eating anymore.

I honestly question that. I am sure that at least a few of the 50 or so that I had hooked had grabbed my lure as i was pulling it in and they chased it. I think they are snapping at your lure honestly.

That's for the red sockeyes though. The king I think they actually do try to snag in coves and bays like in Seward.
7nine
SquirrellyDan
AG
Interesting. I'd imagine it's like spawning bass which sometimes won't eat but will strike at lures defensively. I'll have to see if I can push my trip back to June next time I go.
txags92
AG
ol'Porkbelly said:

We're going to Alaska this summer for two weeks. The first week we are renting an RV and doing Denali NP (already secured a site at Tek River Campground) then we are driving east along the Denali Highway towards Paxton and Wrangel-St. Elias NP before returning the RV in Anchorage.
The second week we are spending on the Kenai Peninsula and looking into renting a house in Homer and/or Seward.

A few questions I have:

1) Any recommendations on how to get in/explore Wrangle St. Elias? We have 3 kids (11, 9, 6) who love to do the Jr. Ranger Programs at all the National Parks we go to. Unfortunately it seems W-S.E. is pretty hard to get into from the northwest area where we will be. Anyone explored that area?

2) My wife and I like to fly fish but are complete novices. Any half-day guide suggestions in Kenai or elsewhere? I'd love to catch a big King Salmon but don't really like the idea of combat fishing amongst a big crowd.

4) What is the best way to see the fjords via watercraft? We're traveling with another family so there will be 9 of us total. I like the idea of kayaking but also figured a boat would allow us to see more.

5) Any other suggestions on the area?
If you are going out to Paxson, take the highway down to Valdez and ride the ferry to Whittier on your drive back to Anchorage. Cool way to see part of Prince William Sound.
dc509
AG
If you're not totally set on everything I HIGHLY recommend Katmai National Park and Preserve. You will see bears, and lots of them. My parents took me when I was 7, and it was one of the coolest experiences of my life. The salmon should be running then and it's a lot of fun to watch them fish.

https://www.nps.gov/katm/planyourvisit/bear-watching.htm
ol'Porkbelly
AG
We REALLY want to make it out to Katmai but with a family of five I think it may be cost prohibitive. Flights out to Brooks are about $900/person from what I'm seeing.
AlaskanAg08
AG
Ellison Air sets up cool trips to the park. Call John and he can give you an update on bear activity and decide if its worth the trip out there or not. I find he is consistently a better priced option for air taxi, tours and general sightseeing.

https://www.ellisonair.com/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.