Suggestions for Naples and Positano

36 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mr. McGibblets
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Only gonna have a day there so not gonna be able to squeeze Capri Pompei Positano and Amalfi Coast all in so seeing what is best to do.
TXTransplant
That's a tough one. With only one day, I'd suggest something like this...

https://walksofitaly.com/pompeii-tours/pompeii-tours-from-rome/

It says it originates from Rome, but if you're already in the area, you can probably tell them that and have an alternate pick up location.

Whether you use this company or not, I think having a driver will be a huge advantage and make best use of your time.

If you want to do Capri, just plan on making it a most-of-the-day excursion. You could probably fit in Positano or Amalfi, too. But I think it would be tough to do Pompeii and Capri in the same day.

FTA 2010
AG
As Transplant said, going to be tough (impossible) to do it all in a day. The roads to/from the Amalfi coast are very windy and slow going.

I would hire a private driver, get a very early start and see Pompeii on the way down. IMO these ruins are just as good if not better than the Roman ruins in Rome. Spend a couple hours then continue down to Amalfi/Positano.

I think you could be there around lunch, late lunch. I'm doubtful you could squeeze in a trip to Capri, and honestly Amalfi/Positano are equally as tranquil and relaxing. That said, you could maaaaybe find a 1/2 day trip to Capri and back.

Then you head back to Naples/Rome with your driver leaving early evening. Long day, but doable.
Big Al 1992
AG
Thanks - yeah Capri was a stretch. Ideally like to see Pompeii and then drive Amalfi coast and hang in Positano. Maybe see the coast by boat?
TXTransplant
That's doable. When you're done at Pompeii, hire a driver to take you to Sorrento and catch a ferry to Amalfi or Positano there (unless you want to take a private boat).

You could take a ferry to Capri, too, but you probably wouldn't have much time to really enjoy the island.
TXCityAggie
AG
A day as in a day trip from Rome? Or you will spending a night down there?
culdeus
AG
I'm doing three nights down there and don't even think I'll get all that in. You are vastly underestimating the commute times between these sites.
smucket
AG
My two cents is to visit Pompeii without a doubt, and your idea of a boat tour down the coast is perfect. My wife and I did a bike tour about 6 years ago starting out of Naples and going down the coast on a Turkish sailing vessel. If you can sail or motor by boat down the coast to Capri, it's an amazing journey.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
I thought Pompeii was boring after about 15 min. I'd get to Positano, find a waterfront cafe and have a beer and enjoy being alive in one of the most beautiful places on earth.
I'd then find a fantastic dinner (throw a rock) and enjoy a wonderful meal and a bottle of wine.
We stayed at Eden Roc and it was fantastic.
If u can have dinner at La Tagliatta do it.
Enjoy.

Oh and personally I'd skip Naples, cool city but found it busy and dirty.
TXCityAggie
AG
Naples isn't worth it if you are rushed for time. If you go to Pompeii, I would pay extra for the guide. It made the experience much better. If you are trying to do all this as a day trip from Rome then it's impossible. You could maybe leave very early and spend a few hours in Pompeii then go to Sorrento in the afternoon. Trying to go to the Amalfi Coast and back in a day will be very hard.
Big Al 1992
AG
Tha is for suggestions. It's a cruise stop. Have from 9-6. Trying to plan our own day away from the ship riff raff. Have always wanted to see both - Positano for views, food and relax, Pompeii for history, looking at Viator tours but would love to hire private driver/guide
nonameag99
If you are docking in Civitavecchia

You are about 2 hours just to get to Rome

I don't think you have time to go further South.

ETA, maybe you are docking in Naples?
Big Al 1992
AG
Yes Naples.
blue70
Hello. We went to Rome , December of 2016. We took a day trip to Positano. Hired a driver for about $600. Compared to other cities we have visited, it was quite high, but worth it. The car was nice and the guy actually studied music in California, so he spoke English very well ad he drove well. The drive is nice, especially, once you make it to the coast. He stopped at a spot overlooking the Bay of Naples and let me take pics. We then went to Positano. He dropped us off and we walked around. It is a very cute city. Pretty busy in December too. We then walked to the beach and had lunch. I think it was worth it because it is such a beautiful place.

Since we only went for the day, we decided to go to Herculaneum, it is smaller than Pompeii and incredibly intact. The weird thing is that I just did a deep dive of my DNA and my peeps actually lived there. Hahaha. I think Pompeii is good if you have the whole day, or 2 days. It is just so vast. We plan on going back to visit. Hope this helps!
Mr. McGibblets
AG
The wife and I did a day trip along the Amalfi coast with Prestige Limo. We had a driver and his name was Peppe. He was absolutely amazing!!! We did the whole Amalfi Coast with stops in all the major spots along the way. Peppe knew where to go. How to get there as efficient as possible.

If you go to trip advisor you can see my write up and pics. You will book it immediately.

Ravello is a must! We loved it more than Amalfi and Positano. Pompeii was ok. The hike up Mt Vesuvius was more fun imho.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.